90 year-old Don is leaving Thailand

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So they have been changed! More difficult or easier?

The rest of your post seems to be an off-topic complaint about all the other TV members, which I struggle to comprehend.

I dont think any more difficult or easy, if you have money.

many will just deposit 800k in a bank account and forget, use another account for day to day expenditure.

then if the hammer come down on this kind of person, worse case scenario they can afford an Elite Visa so no problem them.

If you been a long term member here you know all the bellaching been going on for years,

complain about Thais and the conditions here.

run down and mouth off on people in authority.

I dont know if it affect me personally but i hold part of blame of the bad way things are going from what farangs been saying on this site for years, and ASSuming Thais dont read it.

one guy just negative EVERY post and goes on about "brown paper bags" and bags out people in power nearly constantly.

absolutely crazy, this is all recorded and can be bought back as a case against you if privacy laws here and on the net change. 

and then they will come after you like they do to certain other individuals they have heard enough of

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Really only new requirements is:

- amount of time you need to keep money in the the bank....

which provides proof that you do hold that money, instead of just some BS income letter

Many who have been getting retirement extensions based on income are going to find it difficult to deal with the revised requirements. Elderly people with income in excess of the 65,000 baht per month could previously get income letters, and that was sufficient. Now, they are required to transfer 65,000 baht of that income every month into a Thai bank. Even leaving aside that this means after tax income must exceed 65,000 per month rather than before tax, it also means you need enough left after meeting whatever bills you have overseas (such as medical insurance). The impact varies from individual to individual, but some will find the revised requirements onerous.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

The impact varies from individual to individual, but some will find the revised requirements onerous.

@tingtongtourist + arguably, from immigration office to immigration office. Those who had previously been able to rely on Embassy income confirmations (no longer available for Americans, Australians, Brits and Danes) and whose next extensions fall due in the second half of 2019 could be in for a particularly tough time because they won't have racked up 12 consecutive monthly 65k+ transfers by then (this particular change was only announced last January). Although individual offices have been requested by their Immigration Bureau masters to display some leniency in this regard, there is no cast-iron guarantee that they will. Indeed, my office (Rayong) have made it clear that they won't - so, as far as they are concerned, it's 12 consecutive months of 65k+ transfers, or 800k+ seasoned in the bank for at least 2 months (a tad difficult to amass at the drop of a hat in the absence of any nearby and sufficiently fruitful money tree, I think), or a one-way ticket out of Thailand. 

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

Sad situation for him... I didn't read all the posts, but did he ever state the exact reason why he's leaving? I read where he told the bank employee it was because of Thai Immigration. If it's because he can't meet the financial requirements, then I wonder why he didn't get an income letter in Dec which should have been good thru May. At least he could have stayed for one more year and given himself time to try and make other arrangements. 

Edited by JohnnyBD

22 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Those are 2 different ways of qualifying. 

The "income method" now requires showing mo-deposits, where it used to only require an average per/mo over a year for the letter.

The "money in the bank" method now requires leaving the money untouched for 5 months, instead of 3, plus never touching the 400K.  Before, one only needed 800K + 3 months living-expenses to legally qualify.

And they often repeat - as you did -  the assertion that it's not so different - but it is, and will smash the long-term plans of many on the rocks.

Those who never had the "money in the bank" would have needed to use an agent to fake the money before, and can still do that today.  There is no change to the pro-agent / anti-honest-applicant policy at many immigration offices. 

Those who want the "Red Carpet Treatment" at Thai Immigration still receive that using agents, and do not have to bother with money in the bank or proving their income.  The rule-changes only affect honest-applicants.

So you believe the only reason they make these changes is to force people to using agents and so immigration can collect bribes?

But you and many others say they been getting bribes for years, so why they not just leave it the way it was if it was such easy money?...

But changing things (especially with BJ around at that time) could always run a risk of loosing any teamoney they were getting?

Oh, thats right- they wanted a bigger piece of pie. lol

I will wager it, in 6 months time... if/when Immigrations realise the agents are still doing the dirty work, they will make more difficult changes again to prove people actually have their own funds in their own bank.

If its a new IMMs boss making a name for himself, he will probably just get the sหits and ban all agents from even entering immigration offices.  

For sure, if he reads English and ThaiVisa he will probably just do it for fun. 555

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

To add, the combo method under the new rules has become very complicated and very confusing not only to potential applicants but to the officers as well who often have a hard time explaining what they don't even well understand. It's technically possible and there are reports of some successes, but it's in the zone of being PROBLEMATIC. 

That's not a good situation going into immigration thinking well MAYBE this application will be OK but there is no way I can really be sure. You want to go in with full confidence. 

And full confidence can only mean a connected agent.  This is smoke and mirrors designed to look like a crackdown but in reality it is a salary increase for certain individuals. 

• Like 2

Good question for me too it sounds like a way to dreadful retirement visa procedure but now I’am not even 50 years so out of curiosity is it  possible to pay an visa agent expert to do everything on my behalf? Making and Collecting all copies etc than going to the immigration office with my passport and bank statements each and every time that i need to be doing something at immigration?

Can my agent do it yes or no?

Many people, including myself, thought these new laws were implemented for the purpose of stopping the agents. 

Here we are, some months after the policy came in, and agents are still in business, and probably busier, and in all likelihood, will be very busy in the future. 

Can you explain that?

You say they will make it more difficult 6 months from now, but unless immigration clean up their corruption issues, making it more difficult just means more people use agents, which means more corruption money.  

I actually phoned an agent to see if he could help with a marriage extension ,immediatly said yes and wanted to know my bank ,i said i had the money just wanted help,oh ok no problem ,then laughed and said much cheaper for you ,so go figure ,same as before i assume.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I actually phoned an agent to see if he could help with a marriage extension ,immediatly said yes and wanted to know my bank ,i said i had the money just wanted help,oh ok no problem ,then laughed and said much cheaper for you ,so go figure ,same as before i assume.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Chaengwattana or elsewhere? 

My understanding is that agents can no longer 'process' illicit temporary bank deposits at CW. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has during April/May.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Good question for me too it sounds like a way to dreadful retirement visa procedure but now I’am not even 50 years so out of curiosity is it  possible to pay an visa agent expert to do everything on my behalf? Making and Collecting all copies etc than going to the immigration office with my passport and bank statements each and every time that i need to be doing something at immigration?

Can my agent do it yes or no?

An agent can handle most interactions on your behalf, without you needing to have any contact with immigration. However, some procedures (notably extensions of permission to stay) require that you attend in person, at least briefly. (It is a red flag when the agent says you do not need to attend for an extension, as correct procedure is not being followed, and you may be surprised later by the immigration office used.) Many agents can make this fairly painless, ferrying you to immigration, arranging priority queuing so there is little waiting around, and ferrying you back. You pay for the privilege, and many will feel it is not worth the money.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

So where did ultimately 90-year Don move? 

At his age I only hope it's somewhere safe where someone is looking after him. Any of us could be in the same situation one day even tho our egos tell us differently.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Spidey said:

What makes you think that he has moved?

So, the lure of cheap sex with 50 years younger girls is preventing him from moving to another place. It just amazes me that how hapless farangs ready to subject themselves to humiliation and inconvenience for young p. All the talk of moving to another place is only talk. This lure is so powerful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

So, the lure of cheap sex with 50 years younger girls is preventing him from moving to another place. It just amazes me that how hapless farangs ready to subject themselves to humiliation and inconvenience for young p. All the talk of moving to another place is only talk. This lure is so powerful.

You got a few things to learn about being 90 I am sure. 

Just now, jacko45k said:

You got a few things to learn about being 90 I am sure. 

Friend of mine is 81. Snowbird. Can't keep him out of the bars and gogos when he's here. His favourite bars are BJ bars, where he just reclines on a couch, in the bar and lets a couple of girls go to work on him.

You really are never too old.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Friend of mine is 81. Snowbird. Can't keep him out of the bars and gogos when he's here. His favourite bars are BJ bars, where he just reclines on a couch, in the bar and lets a couple of girls go to work on him.

You really are never too old.

Good for him although I expect it beyond many. 

22 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

All the talk of moving to another place is only talk.

After the BS rhetoric in his OP, my money's on him having bit the bullet and paid an agent for a mucky visa extension.

• Like 1