Immigration won't accept my TM30 registration

Just now, Joe Mcseismic said:

Fill out a TM28 instead. This form is for aliens to self register. Take the paperwork you have.

This is the form I use. Apart from the usual passport details, I take along copies of:-

Lease agreement.

Owner's ID.

Tabien Bahn.

Hand-drawn map.

Photo of me in front of house with address number visible.

Never had a problem.

Cannot - The landlord promised to give me a copy of his ID card and tabian bahn, but didn't do this before he went back to Bangkok.  Despite daily calls to request these, he's failed to provide them to me.

• Like 1

It is becoming very apparent that if you rent a place to live you should get the support of the owner/ agent wrt submitting TM30s. I find the above very aggravating, that a large 5000 fine may be enforced. I would deduct it from the rent!

Will your office accept online 90 day reporting?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Will your office accept online 90 day reporting?

Even if it did, it would only postpone the telling day until such time as the OP needed to apply for an extension of stay.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

If he does need an extension of stay! 

Not sure why he would otherwise need to have any dealings with his local immigration office then. If he was staying in Thailand on the basis of, say, a multi-entry non-O visa, making border runs exery 90 days would obviate the need for 90-day reporting. 

• Like 1

We have a tenant (a teacher at an international school, in Bangkok) who has been badgering me to do the TM30 for her and her family for several months, because the school has been warning of dire consequences if not done. I fall on the side of "best to ignore until action is unavoidable" and assured tenant we'd pay any fines that might be levied. Finally I suggested that she was welcome to do it herself at CW. We provided a letter of authority (in Thai) from my wife, copy of ID and copy of purchase contract for the house in question - this latter doc because the tabian ban for that house doesn't show anyone registered there, as we're all on the tabian ban for another property. Took her all morning a couple of weeks ago now and there was a fine of THB 3,200 (THB 800 per family member at the address) for not registering within 24 hours. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Not sure why he would otherwise need to have any dealings with his local immigration office then. If he was staying in Thailand on the basis of, say, a multi-entry non-O visa, making border runs exery 90 days would obviate the need for 90-day reporting. 

If he had such a Visa, border runs/ trips out of Thailand would be obligated  every 90 days of course.

He could also have an OA Visa.  

One option I believe I should not recommend, but is there when one cannot get a TM30 report done, is avoiding (or removing), the needs to use immigration.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Cannot - The landlord promised to give me a copy of his ID card and tabian bahn, but didn't do this before he went back to Bangkok.  Despite daily calls to request these, he's failed to provide them to me.

as u know most all immigration's requires these copies PLUS a POA, ( phuket)  if the landlord wont go to immigration,.

You know this, ur not some newbie in Thailand, so why post they refused?

You dont have the required docs...

"Do they simply forget that it was them that stopped you registering !! Unbelievable..."

What's that got to do with anything...Everybody gets refused for whatever they apply for if they haven't got the correct paperwork?

Maybe report your old address where you were registered before for your 90 day.

If you can't do this, e.g. dealing with a new Immigration office, what about moving into a hotel for a few days where they will report your stay and use that address for your 90 day report.

Then you will have another 90 days to sort our your current rented address (or stay a few months without paying further rent to get your equivalent deposit back and move to another house or hotel).

Not sure if this will work but maybe worth a try?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

"Do they simply forget that it was them that stopped you registering !! Unbelievable..."

What's that got to do with anything...Everybody gets refused for whatever they apply for if they haven't got the correct paperwork?

The correct paperwork at one office may not be the correct paperwork at another. This is Thailand, where

every person with any authority can usually make up their own rules.

It does not just apply to Immigration offices either.

• Like 2

My Pattaya condo landlord lives in Chiang Mai when not in Australia. Bit difficult for him to show up for every TM30. A lot of paperwork later his Thai wife got legal authority to represent him and she flew down to report to Jomtien Immigration. A lot of wasted time and money. I don't know why she couldn't report me up there and have it faxed to Jomtien. I've been able to report in by myself since then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidst01 said:

we asked the landlord if he was ok to sign the TM30 at the time of signing the lease. Why did you not do this?

I did, he was, but he had to go and copy his tabian bahn and ID card, and then he never came back...

Happily, all is almost resolved.  A Thai friend called him and said that I have to move out of the rented house because he hasn't provided me with these copies of his documents.  His 'batman' was here in 10 minutes with the copies ????

Now let's see if the IO insists on me paying the fine tomorrow when I return to complete my registration...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You were the one that wanted to move to Issarn. Can't say I'm surprised, reading TV it's always something.

Immigration, especially outside Bangkok is just a big make-work project. They'll run you round as long as they can and hopefully extract money in the process.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Tell the landlord that you are going to stop rent payment until he provides the copies he promised, and tell him you are going to report him to the income tax folks. He's probably not declaring the income, so that might gee him up a bit.

P.S. When this is all cleared tell him that you will deduct the not reporting in 24 hour fine from his next rent payment, and send him a copy of the receipt.

Technically speaking when you sign a rental agreement, you must get a copy of the ID who is signing the rental agreement. Otherwise How do you know the person who is signing the doc has the authority to rent you the place.  Also using the same logic, you must get a copy of the ownership document of the place. Otherwise you don't know who owns the place. I don't understand how tabian ban helps. Anyway, I have a good agent who can register my TM30 anytime I want. But I have the copy of the ID (passport) of the owner but no ownership document and the agent guarantees the owner is the same person confirmed by the juristic office. 

• Like 1