Are retirees welcome in Thailand?

3 hours ago, Janner1 said:

I find that retirees are entirely welcome here. You simply have to comply with 3 things 

Bring all your money here.

Give it all to some Thai bird or ladyboy.

And only stay for 30 days providing of course you have enough left to last you 30 days

Would they perhaps accept 2 out of 3?

On 4/26/2019 at 11:20 AM, Johnny Rotten said:

It's a Joke. Where else in the world would you have to fill in all these forms and go though all the hoops?

China for one..

10 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Thanks for your suggestions.

I don't have a problem really with the 90 day reports (on their own).  It's the TM30's that are troublesome for me and whenever leaving the country (I leave about twice a year) I still have to drive 3 hours round trip (within 24 hours) to Immigration just to do my TM30 (for the landlord of course).  My landlord works everyday so I must "self report" the TM30 or be in violation.

Also, my Imm Office does not allow the TM30 to be done online therefore I need to arrive at Immigration with copies of my passport, a signed TM30 form, a signed Power of Attorney and signed copies of the landlords ID and Tabian ban.  I also have to do one whenever I return from a domestic trip and stayed in a hotel.  It's a real PITA.

The money thing is not an issue for me.  I just wish things could be streamlined and consistent for all here in the LOS.

I guess you're right,  Maybe I have caught a bug (TVDS) and need to chill out a little bit.

Can't you can file the TM30 at your local Police Station (others who live a long way away from their Immigration Office do)...

10 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

You don’t have to read his posts, in fact you can block him and not even see them.....or maybe you’re actually a fan

thanks.   I have taken your advice.     ( not a fan at all )  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, CNX GUY said:

there are some hoops to jump through, 

For all nationalities, except 3, a Letter of Income/Affidavit, is still  issued by their embassy/Consulate, and accepted by Immigration, at least as per last Friday. 

No money in a Thai bank, no minimum of 65000 monthly transfer to Thailand. 

On 4/26/2019 at 11:38 AM, Yeahbutwhytho said:

You can be fined for TM30 when doing the extension, or if they rock up at your condo to ask

Yes - there are no reports of getting fined during 90 day reporting however, I meant in general you must do a tm30 everytime you leave/arrive

Got fined 2,000 baht for being a couple days outside the window for reporting after not being able to get the “on line” system to work for me and “by mail” was rejected because the condo owner had not done the tm 30.

• Sad 1

Where’s the problem in having 800k baht in the bank? You’re retired. You’re supposed to be financially secure when you choose to retire. If you’re not financially secure, stop whinging, go home and unretire.

Where’s the problem finding time reporting to an Imm Office every 90 days? You’re retired. You’re supposed to have plenty of spare time now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are retirees welcome here ?, well there are no banners at the airport when you arrive,

if you meet all the requirements ,there's no problems,did my new extension in 1 1/2 hours,

the other day ,that's from getting letter from the Bank,travelling to Immigration office,

seeing the IO, and out the door, that's a hell of a lot easier for me,compared to previous 

extensions,which required a 4.00 in the morning rise to get to IO to get a ticket.and I

thank Big Joke for making those changes.

regards worgeordie

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

NB For the avoidance of doubt, I don't let my Thai Bank account drop below 1.1 Million THB so have no problems following the "Rules", but nobody told me that I would have to traipse to immigration every 3 months to prove I was still meeting them.

I believe you only have to go once 90 days after you receive the extension.  I agree and I don't like that so I'm switching to the income method now that I don't have to take a taxi to Bangkok to pay my lazy embassy to get a letter.  For me it's off to the bank and then to immigration.  Not going back after 90 days for income verification I don't think. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

The westerners who don't mind jumping through these increasing hoops year after year, remind me of prison inmates who are institutionalised.  

I'm not jumping through any hoops.  It got easier for me and less profitable for Thai banks as I will switched to the income method.  Maybe speak for yourself because you don't speak for me. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Of course you only speak for you.

But knowing what you are doing now compared to the income method with embassy letters is something that deserves some light.

Under the new income method rules without an embassy letter, full monthly IMPORT into Thailand from abroad is required. Each and every month. No flexibility. For the first year leniency on showing the full 12 months back MAY be shown, emphasis on maybe. Next year, the full 12 month sequence will be definitely required.

As someone that has knowledge on the retirement visa programs in the world, I can say with confidence that in general (maybe not you) a requirement to IMPORT the claimed income is considered to be more of a burden than just proving the income exists.

So objectively you are now doing something that it's very clear that most people would consider a burden -- REQUIRED FULL INCOME REQUIREMENT MONTHLY IMPORT relative to NOT being required to do a full import, monthly or otherwise.

I'm not jumping through any hoops.  It got easier for me and less profitable for Thai banks as I will switched to the income method.  I go to the bank once a month.  During my monthly trip (5 minute walk) I requested a 12 month statement.  200 baht.  I'll get another one when I go to get my extension. 

You are assuming a lot based on your negative attitude.  I don't assume. 

Like I said it got easier for me and most of the people I personally know. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm not jumping through any hoops.  It got easier for me and less profitable for Thai banks as I will switched to the income method.  I go to the bank once a month.  During my monthly trip (5 minute walk) I requested a 12 month statement.  200 baht.  I'll get another one when I go to get my extension. 

You are assuming a lot based on your negative attitude.  I don't assume. 

Like I said it got easier for me and most of the people I personally know. 

I think the difference in our perspectives may largely be because I have looked at COMPETING retirement visa programs in the world. So I can compare things based on a wider knowledge, not just a NARROW look at the history of Thailand policies only. I accept that you are personally happy. If you're happy with required monthly imports, you're happy. That's great. FOR YOU.

However, I will NEVER believe that OBJECTIVELY being required to do full monthly income IMPORTS is a better deal for expats in GENERAL than the lack of such rules. For the people with embassy letters, though it is true getting the letter can be a burden, are in a much better situation as far as required monthly imports, as they have NO requirement to import even one baht, monthly and otherwise.

I will also add that most nations with income method requirements don't require reapplications annually. Typically it's one or two times where the income needs to be proven.

As I've said before, if you want PROOF of my assertion that it's a better situation for expats to NOT be required to do monthly income imports, talk to 100 expats that can still get embassy letters. Ask them if they would choose not being able to get the letters any longer and to be required to do full monthly income IMPORTS instead. Common sense says obviously very few of those people would willfully CHOOSE the more ONEROUS option.

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Thai Immigration goes out of their way to make western retirees realize they should move else where. . . .

The westerners who don't mind jumping through these increasing hoops year after year . . .

Non-westerners don't have to follow the same rules, or are we simply indulging our victimism as usual?

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think the difference in our perspectives may largely be because I have looked at COMPETING retirement visa programs in the world. So I can compare things based on a wider knowledge, not just a NARROW look at the history of Thailand policies only. I accept that you are personally happy. If you're happy with required monthly imports, you're happy. That's great. FOR YOU.

However, I will NEVER believe that OBJECTIVELY being required to do full monthly income IMPORTS is a better deal for expats in GENERAL than the lack of such rules. For the people with embassy letters, though it is true getting the letter can be a burden, are in a much better situation as far as required monthly imports, as they have NO requirement to import even one baht, monthly and otherwise.

I will also add that most nations with income method requirements don't require reapplications annually. Typically it's one or two times where the income needs to be proven.

As I've said before, if you want PROOF of my assertion that it's a better situation for expats to NOT be required to do monthly income imports, talk to 100 expats that can still get embassy letters. Ask them if they would choose not being able to get the letters any longer and to be required to do full monthly income IMPORTS instead. Common sense says obviously very few of those people would willfully CHOOSE the more ONEROUS option.
Cheers. 

To be fair looking at other countries with the same infrastructure in this area like to like we only have Singapore and Malaysia.  And those two places are not in the same financial ball park. 

What you are doing is selective google all over the world.  I don't think you are an expert because I can google too. 

For real experience I always listen.

Remember Jack?  How long did he last?  He messed up in Thailand and he messed up in Latin America and comes back here and blames it on Thai Immigration.  That's what we need.  Real experience.   

I went to the American embassy once.  It was not a pleasant nor easy experience.  The bank is close for me and I've been a first name basis customer for 10 years. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

To be fair looking at other countries with the same infrastructure in this area like to like we only have Singapore and Malaysia.  And those two places are not in the same financial ball park. 

What you are doing is selective google all over the world.  I don't think you are an expert because I can google too. 

For real experience I always listen.

Remember Jack?  How long did he last?  He messed up in Thailand and he messed up in Latin America and comes back here and blames it on Thai Immigration.  That's what we need.  Real experience.   

I went to the American embassy once.  It was not a pleasant nor easy experience.  The bank is close for me and I've been a first name basis customer for 10 years. 

You're all over the place with that post. Lots of diversion that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I'm not playing into that game, sorry.

I'll let my previous post stand as it actually does OBJECTIVELY address the issue at hand. Is it more desirable for most expats IN GENERAL to have required monthly import or not?

Another question to ask 100 expats that HAVE lost the ability to get embassy letters. Ask them would they like their embassies to reinstate the letters? Again, you don't need to ask. You and everyone else already knows that the vast majority will say -- I PREFER THE LETTERS BACK!

It sounds as if for you personally, you would choose to keep not being able to get an embassy letter. Well, great, at least you are happy with what for most people is clearly a NEGATIVE change.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It sounds as if for you personally, you would choose to keep not being able to get an embassy letter. Well, great, at least you are happy with what for most people is clearly a NEGATIVE change.

Cheers.

I've said that at least 3 times.  I get a pension income above 65k and have more that 800k in the bank.  I'll use the income method because it is cheaper and easier for me. As it is for most people who have a retirement income above 65k direct deposited to a Thai bank.  I expect the amount will rise in May and I may have to go back to the deposit method. 

If there was a cheaper place with the same infrastructure and having my hobbies available I'd have moved there.  There isn't.  

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

expect the amount will rise in May and I may have to go back to the deposit method.

If this so called rumor is correct, 50% of my friends will be priced out of Thailand. I hope this is just a unfounded rumor. If it is true, there will be mass change. 

3 hours ago, moe666 said:

I was a ware of the rules when I moved here, unlike many on this forum. If the few rules they have are too much for you go home enough of the crying and complaining.

strange how the one's crying and complaining are the same ones putting laughing emojis onto each

post that says they feel welcome here.   Complaining, crying, laughing ....... tri-polar ?  

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You keep totally distorting my point about comparing to global retirement visa programs.

The comparison has NOTHING to do with whether you want to live in another country than Thailand, or not.

Obviously for people that are committed to Thailand no matter what, then it will always be Thailand, or bust. Don't even need to look at how Thailand's program compares.

I don't get paid to shill for or against anyone or anything.  I'm just telling you how I feel and how the recent changes have effected me.  I'm not trying to distort anything.  When I find a better place than Thailand or Thailand kicks me out - I'll go.