Pattaya Versus DaNang and the winner is?

Destiny1990

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The topic is Pattaya vs Danang.  Certainly health care is relevant.  Nonsense about English speakers at Thai good private hospitals.  I've been provided with an interpreter if the doctor was unsure of his English at BDMS hospitals but most nurses and doctors spoke English fine.  It is my understand that at many hospitals in Vietnam patients have to share beds is that true? 

"In top urban hospitals, bed-sharing the norm"

https://vietnamnews.vn/society/health/346286/in-top-urban-hospitals-bed-sharing-the-norm.html#3Hu5wim7pyokiKfK.99

20 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I dunno about shared beds but you seem to be the hospital expert here.

I do know that If i had a weak health situation and often in need of  complex specialized hospital services then i would never choose Thailand or Vietnam as my Residence. Even well of Thais go to England or Singapore for medical.

No they don't.

15 hours ago, marcusarelus said:
On 6/30/2019 at 10:08 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Even well of Thais go to England or Singapore for medical.

No they don't.

The DPM had his coronary bypass surgery two years ago (and all the follow up treatments) in Switzerland. The baht goes a long way these days.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 10:49 PM, marcusarelus said:

Da Nang is 36.2% more expensive than Rayong   https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/cost-of-living/da-nang-c5321/rayong-c5268  

Rent Prices in Da Nang are 83.09% higher than in Rayong

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Vietnam&city1=Rayong&city2=Da+Nang&tracking=getDispatchComparison

My biggest fear is health care as I understand from my friends who live in Vietnam that they have to go to Thailand or Singapore if they have any major health problem.  

As another member posted, why don't you compare Danang cost of living to Phuket, or Samui, not Rayong.  

On 5/3/2019 at 8:34 AM, BritManToo said:

And a load of money ($25,000) sitting in the bank in Thai baht.

In Cambodia that same money could be banked in Dollars earning 6-8% pa ($2,000), enough money to pay your yearly rent.

What sort of a place do you get for that price?

On 5/3/2019 at 1:30 PM, sanemax said:

And there is also 

That video is exactly what put me off living in Vietnam! It is Hell. The motorcycles and the incessant horn beeping.

Anyway, I should be the only one allowed to go Beep! Beep!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 1:40 PM, KhunHeineken said:
On 5/3/2019 at 12:41 PM, DrTuner said:

And I would like to know if there's any chance of permanent residency. Being a perpetual tourist is for nomads.

All foreigners are perpetual tourists in Thailand. 

Some one on a 1 year retirement visa has no more rights than someone on a 30 day visa exempt stamp.

Vietnam offers a 2 year Residency Card, but like I said, a lot of expats are married to Vietnamese Nationals, so they get a 5 year multi entry visa for around $50USD, which is a great deal. 

We are all Nomads on this planet. Your lifetime Visa expires when you die. Nothing is permanent, we can't keep anything.

55 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I don't understand your post.  Can you explain more please?

if i have to do visa runs, its not for me,

otherwise i think vietnam would fit me.

edit: i just saw the traffic clip ????

Edited by brokenbone

14 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

That video is exactly what put me off living in Vietnam! It is Hell. The motorcycles and the incessant horn beeping.

Anyway, I should be the only one allowed to go Beep! Beep!

Agree completely about the "incessant horn beeping" I heard in HCM and Da Lat.

It is non-stop offensive noise pollution, and may put me off from spending half the year in Vietnam.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

It is non-stop offensive noise pollution, and may put me off from spending half the year in Vietnam.

Yes, it put me off living there , a horn beeps literally every few seconds

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Thais in general don't use their horns that much - partly because it's considered criticism - the beeper is criticising the driving standards of the beepee, thereby causing them to lose face. And we all know what happens when a Thai male thinks he's lost face.

But Pattaya baht buses beep their horns a lot to attract foreigners walking along the street. I've never seen a single foreigner react to that, unless they're actually actively looking for a ride. As a regular motorbike rider, I'd like to see the baht buses fitted with a different sounding signal than the horn to atract customers as it's often very disconcerting when traffic is at its manic worst.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Would be a showstopper for me too. In here it's the morlam bass from temples/talads that annoys the hell out of me but at least it's only once or twice a month. Beeping 24/7 would have me googling for a 50cal to mount on the window sill.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

?? Makes no sense.

I do not care for the place but plenty of areas away from the cheap accommodations on the main streets with little noise...

44 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

?? Makes no sense.

I do not care for the place but plenty of areas away from the cheap accommodations on the main streets with little noise...

Yes, it can be quiet in hotel rooms , its just that its constantly noisy outside .

Even on roads with no other vehicles , motorbikes still drive down the road beeping their horns 

35 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, it can be quiet in hotel rooms , its just that its constantly noisy outside .

Even on roads with no other vehicles , motorbikes still drive down the road beeping their horns 

Wake up dude Its the locals flirting with you.

On 7/2/2019 at 10:09 AM, lamyai3 said:

The DPM had his coronary bypass surgery two years ago (and all the follow up treatments) in Switzerland. The baht goes a long way these days.

The richest man in Thailand stayed in Thailand for treatment.  

5 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Can't win...consider this:  either the beeping or Thailands highest road fatalities.  In Vietnam, you can make it across the street without being killed or injured.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

How about you try visa walks?

as i said: i get pain from walking,

pain from standing, and if not very good back support, pain from sitting up.

i'm not fit for visa runs

Edited by brokenbone

On 7/3/2019 at 11:28 PM, brokenbone said:

if i have to do visa runs, its not for me,

otherwise i think vietnam would fit me.

edit: i just saw the traffic clip ????

You would only have to do one visa run a year, but I accept that as Thailand offers extensions, no visa run is required, however, Thailand does have a lot more bureaucracy and requirements.