San Diego-area synagogue shooting leaves one worshipper dead, three wounded

rooster59

1 minute ago, gunderhill said:

And  equally you should be able to comment on it in any way without that fear of intimidation or  death no  matter how  offensive some of those religions find it.

One would hope there would be no need for anyone to make offensive comments.

But maybe as many have said to me. My rose coloured glasses are distorting my view sometimes

1 minute ago, RobMuir said:

Another good thing about living in wonderful Buddhist Thailand.

None of this Muslim vs Christian crap fighting over a god that doesn’t exist. 

The Thais are above it all.

The teachings of the Buddha make sense. The father Xmas, Easter bunny, Virgin Mary, Noah’s ark is all just nonsense.

The south problems are only about territory.

Ah that is NOT strictly true there are militants in the south ( both sides) who have caused chaos and death.

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

One would hope there would be no need for anyone to make offensive comments.

But maybe as many have said to me. My rose coloured glasses are distorting my view sometimes

When you lose free  speech which is being eroded  worldwide, you  lose  freedom per se.

When you act on those beliefs , well thats something entirely  different, no matter how offensive everything  should be allowed.

4 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

ha ha ha ha ha ha really, naivety at its finest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

When you lose free  speech which is being eroded  worldwide, you  lose  freedom per se.

When you act on those beliefs , well thats something entirely  different, no matter how offensive everything  should be allowed.

I think if you defend free speech, you should also exercise responsibility for that freedom

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

And  equally you should be able to comment on it in any way without that fear of intimidation or  death no  matter how  offensive some of those religions find it.

I understand the US does not have Hate Speech legislation, legislation only enacted against calls to violence. IMO Hate Speech should now have legislation developed and enacted. Partisanship and chasms between groups is intensifying, in many cases supported by 'leaders' in a race to the bottom which will only lead to increased violence in society.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Speaking with reporters at the White House, U.S. President Donald Trump said, "My deepest sympathies go to the people that were affected." He added that "it looks like a hate crime" and that authorities will "get to the bottom of it."

Be sure his speech was vetted by the NRA... :angry:

10 minutes ago, Basil B said:

How brave, shoots unarmed people then expects the police not to shoot him.

Yeah, well, from his POV at least now he can move out of his parent's house to the big house. I guess this is kind of the white nationalist terrorist version of adulting. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

too bad the cops missed when they shot at the car..

I’m rather pleased he’s been taken into custody.

We’ll get to hear what and who motivated the atrocity he committed out of his own mouth.

Had he been killed by the police we would now be being treated to even more of the deflections, false attributions and victim blaming than we are already seeing.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

We’ll get to hear what and who motivated the atrocity he committed out of his own mouth.

Had he been killed by the police we would now be being treated to even more of the deflections, false attributions and victim blaming than we are already seeing.

Yes another martyr for all the hate mongers, just what we need. What rolls out of this animals mouth I personally have no interest in hearing nor in giving credence to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some off topic posts and replies have been removed topic is about:

San Diego-area synagogue shooting leaves one worshipper dead, three wounded

49 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That sometimes makes sense but I think he left a manifesto. What more do you need?

Time to eradicate religions....they cause nothing but grief. I would like to see religious speech and the promotion of these superstitions made illegal, the same as hate speech. The ban would apply equally to Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Zoroastrians....all religious denominations should have a ban on proselytising and public advocation or exposition of the beliefs. 

Also end the public subsidies that these religions have via tax breaks.....why Gove tax breaks to organisations that are dedicated to dividing the population.....it makes no sense. End religions and end these killings.

Do what you want in the privacy of your own home and fill your children's heads with all sorts of superstitious nonsense, but don't allow it in public places.

Religion is like masturbation.....it should be done in the privacy of your own space and not in public.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Time to eradicate religions....they cause nothing but grief. I would like to see religious speech and the promotion of these superstitions made illegal, the same as hate speech. The ban would apply equally to Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Zoroastrians....all religious denominations should have a ban on proselytising and public advocation or exposition of the beliefs. 

Also end the public subsidies that these religions have via tax breaks.....why Gove tax breaks to organisations that are dedicated to dividing the population.....it makes no sense. End religions and end these killings.

Do what you want in the privacy of your own home and fill your children's heads with all sorts of superstitious nonsense, but don't allow it in public places.

Religion is like masturbation.....it should be done in the privacy of your own space and not in public.

I respectfully disagree I’m personally not religious but I do recognize the comfort it affords others and I do believe all religions in their un corrupted form don’t preach hate and intolerance quite the opposite imo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tug said:

I respectfully disagree I’m personally not religious but I do recognize the comfort it affords others and I do believe all religions in their un corrupted form don’t preach hate and intolerance quite the opposite imo

It is fine for people to disagree provided they don't get violent doing it. My problem with religion is that all have been corrupted and used by elites as a divisive us-vs-them differentiation to justify wars against non believers and truly terrible corrupt behaviour. There are no uncorrupted religions.....it's a bit like saying communism is great if it was in its corrupted form, but man is a power seeking animal and will always abuse the power he gets in order to get more power and material rewards. Read the New Testament and contrast that with your country's Christian community....ie all your politicians. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RobMuir said:

The teachings of the Buddha make sense. The father Xmas, Easter bunny, Virgin Mary, Noah’s ark is all just nonsense.

The south problems are only about territory.

Acknowledging lots of types of hates by different peoples but by this convenient website measuring hate around the world by the percent of Anti-Semitism found there, particularly as scapegoating Jewish people might to be a canary in the coal mine...

https://global100.adl.org/

...here's percent of populations harboring Anti-Semitic attitudes:

Oceania 14%

The Americas 19%

Asia 22%

Sub-Saharan Africa 23%

Western Europe 24%

Eastern Europe 34%

Middle East 74% 

More specifically:

Laos (66% Buddhist*) 0.2%

Philippines 3%

Vietnam (16% Buddhist) 6%

UK 8%

USA 9%

Thailand (93% Buddhist) 13%

Australia 14%

Canada 14%

Brazil 16%

Singapore (34% Buddhist) 16%

China (18% Buddhist) 20%

India (1% Buddhist + 80% Hindu) 20%

Japan (36% Buddhist) 23%

Mongolia (55% Buddhist) 26%

Russia 30%

Uruguay 33% 

Poland 45%

Indonesia 48%

Iran 60%

Malaysia 61%

Greece 69%

Turkey 71%

Libya 87%

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_by_country

So at least with regard to the anti-Semitism which might lead to a synagogue shooting, the Buddhist countries tend to exhibit measurably less hate, all falling on the lower end of that scale. So this is not a myth as suggested below; rather it is demonstrated.

6 hours ago, Enoon said:

Look next door to Myanmar to see what "Buddhists" are capable of vis a vis their treatment of other religions/ethnicities.

And look next door to Cambodia to see what "Buddhists" are capable of doing to their own.

Extraordinary to find a Westerner who seems to have bought in to the special, peaceful, exclusivity of "Buddhist" Thailand myth.........promoted by its Nationalists.

The promotion of such exclusivity by Nationalists being, in itself, oft times a dark omen.

That it is not a myth does not mean all Buddhists are without sin but I don't know if that is the religion or what can happen when any religion might be politicized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_violence

"Buddhism is generally seen as among the religious traditions least associated with violence. However, in the history of Buddhism, there have been acts of violence directed, promoted, or inspired by Buddhists. As far as Buddha's teachings and scriptures are concerned, Buddhism forbids violence for resolving conflicts."

Myanmar's a mess. From what little I've read I completely do not understand the practice of their so-called Buddhism. The Rohingya crisis seems somewhat more like an ethnic cleansing by their separate culture and language but certainly there's history & continuing persecution of all Muslims there. Here's a good wiki on it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Muslims_in_Myanmar

That religions can be (often are?) politicized, many of us see as a danger in the United States with Christianity and why we so dearly defend separation of church and state gifted by America's very wise founders. But this gift is not a given to be taken for granted, rather it is a constant struggle and exercise in vigilance. From my point of view, Myanmar fails that completely, but I don't really know the history, geopolitics, etc., of the place.

Cambodia though is not such an example as you cite simply because Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge were not Buddhists. They were criminals killing Buddhists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge

the Cambodian genocide led to the deaths of 1.5 to 3 million people, around 25% of Cambodia's population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pol_Pot

"Under the leadership of Pol Pot, the Khmer Rouge had a policy of state atheism. All religions were banned, and the repression of adherents of Islam, Christianity and Buddhism was extensive."

Edited by thaicurious
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

It is fine for people to disagree provided they don't get violent doing it. My problem with religion is that all have been corrupted and used by elites as a divisive us-vs-them differentiation to justify wars against non believers and truly terrible corrupt behaviour. There are no uncorrupted religions.....it's a bit like saying communism is great if it was in its corrupted form, but man is a power seeking animal and will always abuse the power he gets in order to get more power and material rewards. Read the New Testament and contrast that with your country's Christian community....ie all your politicians. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but this particular atrocity was perpetrated against a religious group by somebody who has not acted on the basis of his own faith.

It now appears he may have committed an arson attack on a mosque.

Your comments about religion completely off mark.

The attacker is motivated by extreme right wing white supremacy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaicurious said:

Acknowledging lots of types of hates by different peoples but by this convenient website measuring hate around the world by the percent of Anti-Semitism found there, particularly as scapegoating Jewish people might to be a canary in the coal mine...

There is a  global commonality about  your link, humans!  

16 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

This kid, John Earnest (19), apparently tried to burn down a mosque previously.  This is white nationalism in America, pure hatred for Jews, Muslims, gays, and non-whites.  Sadly, many more where he came from.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/suspect-deadly-san-diego-synagogue-shooting-linked-mosque/story?id=62685051

Another commonality of hatred it's global  and it has no color or religion.  

I'm not going to link to it here (you can find it if you really want) but I just read the entire background and murder statement on this terrorist, and it points to a very organized support "community" online similarly infected with a level of Jew hatred that completely mirrors Nazi propaganda along with some modern additions, just as toxic.

This white nationalist terrorist also voiced demonization of "cultural Marxism" which the Jew haters link to Jews and you can see the very same rhetoric on Fox "News" most any day, which has tragically become a mainstream and massively popular media organ. You don't need to go to the dark web such as 4chan to find that kind of inflammatory garbage that helps to whip up some people to go out and murder Jews.

The "trump" line (yes he said it and he's sticking to it even though the real life evidence refutes it) is that white nationalist terrorism is not a growing and serious problem. The Jews at the Southern California temple got very lucky somehow (he was confronted by a strong trained man, perhaps his gun jammed, or both) or surely this would have been another mass shooting massacre of Jews as so recently happened in Pittsburgh. The "trump" line has been white nationalist terrorism (a phrase he doesn't even say, why is that?) is only about a few insane nutcases, not an organized ideology like Islamist terrorism which he has no problem talking about at every opportunity. Why not talk about BOTH!?!

There is a very developed ideology rationalizing massacre of Jews and it's online right now and right now more future white nationalist terrorists are finding support there.

What I'm saying is obvious -- this problem will get much worse. In the USA and other places. The USA needs better national leadership to at least RECOGNIZE it as a real and growing problem to even begin to effectively fight it. That's only a beginning but right now we don't even have that. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2019 at 2:24 PM, simple1 said:

I understand the US does not have Hate Speech legislation, legislation only enacted against calls to violence. IMO Hate Speech should now have legislation developed and enacted. Partisanship and chasms between groups is intensifying, in many cases supported by 'leaders' in a race to the bottom which will only lead to increased violence in society.

Agree with you, but not going to happen.

I'm not sure about free speech restrictions. That's not the American way. But how about opening files on people posting on the Nazi alt right dark web and acting faster at the first hint of a potential terrorist attack? Surely they are doing that and much more to prevent Islamist terrorists.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thaicurious said:

Oceania 14%

The Americas 19%

Asia 22%

Sub-Saharan Africa 23%

Western Europe 24%

Eastern Europe 34%

Middle East 74% 

I am surprised by the assessment of Asia (less by other regions), I.e. In Thailand most people have absolutely no idea of what Jews are and probably don't even know of their existence.