A few observations

thank you for the compliment at (1).  however, I believe those kinds of generalizations are one of the dumbest things we all do and that the only generalization that works at all, for people, is that we are all not very intelligent.  all of us.  except maybe Noam Chomsky.

as for "Thailand" having a policy for this or that.... you don't mean the current government because all of these rules and stuff have been around for some time, a lot longer than a few years.  so you are speaking about Thai culture. 

reading your post I'm gonna do my own "mind reading" too,  and ask this:  how well do you believe you speak the local dialect conversationally (the lower diglossia, whatever it is) and as well mostly only hang out with regular Thai folks... as opposed to hanging mostly with 'farlang' or other kinds of foreigners...... notwithstanding how many decades you have been here.

agree on the obvious though.  800K is a good yardstick, probably even a few million short of what we need to stay here, but the visa extension is a yearly thing (only).

Edited by WeekendRaider
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TaoNow said:

2)      Thailand does not have and has never had a policy to promote retirement to Thailand by foreigners.  If they did, they would have a visa category that granted a 5 or 10-year stay given proof of financial viability.  But they don’t.

I agree with this. Thailand just gives you a visa (O-A) or extension to stay long-term or one year if you financially qualify. I have never seen any ads promoting Thailand as a retirement destination but I have seen plenty of ads promoting Thailand as a tourist destination. 

Oh well as we like to say especially in the service industry - Only few people will bother to compliment out loud but when it comes to complaining, the whole neighbourhood will hear about it. 

I admit, I came here to vent my vex a few times. Guilty as charged. I did want to make a few "positive" contributions like writing up my motorcycling adventures and other stuff but just never got around to doing it. 

But complain I did....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rott said:

Yes it would help if he advised us of what other categories are available besides newbie, misfit and mod.

We could then read improving books and after sufficient time apply for an upgrade.

It is the not knowing that is the worst part.

I'm a bit miffed as he missed mentioning me as a grumpy BOF.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

We were being lectured and talked down to.

seemingly by the forum idiot

I wonder does this very sheltered condescending individual  ever actually interact with the people he is insulting - I think unlikely 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, onera1961 said:

I agree with this. Thailand just gives you a visa (O-A) or extension to stay long-term or one year if you financially qualify. I have never seen any ads promoting Thailand as a retirement destination but I have seen plenty of ads promoting Thailand as a tourist destination. 

Good point.  It's true.  Thailand does not actual market itself as a retirement destination. 

That 1 year retirement visa may as well be a 1 year tourist visa, because it gives you nothing more than someone on a tourist visa.

I think they are too caught up in the quick baht from tourists to care about the steady and sustainable revenue flow from retired foreigners.    

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 6:42 PM, TaoNow said:

I started following the postings on this section of TV since the beginning of this year given the changes in the 4 embassies issuing income letters and the tightening of certain Immo regs.

I have been renewing my extension of permit to stay, first for work, then marriage, and now retirement, since 1971, all at Bangkok immigration.  I have also dealt with Phuket immigration for non-extension issues.

I was particularly interested in the first-hand trip reports this year since that removes all the rumors and theories about immigration (assuming it is not a troll post).

Your post started so well, but went rapidly downhill once you embarked on the bullet point critique of your fellow less experienced expats.

The very fact that you've been following threads here recently as a result of "changes" and "tightening" in immigration regulations is your own admission that they're occurring and that things are not the same as before. This forum has been second to none in documenting these changes, and the experienced advice on how to navigate the changing tides has been indispensable. 

If your definition of expats refers to people such as yourself who've been around for decades, no doubt you and your pals will all be benefitting from old rules on permanent residency, or grandfathered in on 200k a year pre 1998. I have great respect for longevity and experience, but you've just gone out of your way to prove this doesn't make for an intelligent argument. 

• Thanks 1