Thais unable to pronounce your name?

My name is Gérard, with two "r" in the French style, impossible for them to pronounce

when written in Thai phonetics, they can say it in an "almost acceptable" way, but for people I know in every day life, I ask them to call me in a very easy way for them " géla " 

everybody is satisfied with it, me  too 

Edited by Aforek
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, villagefarang said:

When western words or names are written in Thai, they end up being pronounced based on Thai language rules.

But when the names are spoken, not written, they still can't replicate what they're hearing.

3 hours ago, Jamesanderson said:

My name is James. Anyone can pronounce my name easily.

You may think so. I heard thai friends talking about a guy called Gem. Took me a while to work out it was my friend james...

3 hours ago, Psimbo said:

How do 'they' get on with Lemonlime? 

My name is Delphine 

however they are like 

ahhh, do you have a nickname? Or does this name exist? 

Some emails even called me a Sir!

• Haha 1

We have difficulty with Thai tones. Thais have difficulty with combined consonants.

Yup, my surname comes out as Dee Wire ( could be worse ) !

Andy is not a problem here, although when I lived in Brazil I was called Angie and constantly ribbed by an American colleague who used to break out the old Stones classic when he got chance , I think he was pissed because they called him Huss ( for Russ ) !

On 5/6/2019 at 3:11 PM, Lemonlime said:

My name is Delphine 

however they are like 

ahhh, do you have a nickname? Or does this name exist? 

Some emails even called me a Sir!

Easily shortened to Del. But that may not be easy either. 

Delphine comes originally from Dolphin so your name in Thai could be ปลาโลมา or Plālomā

Just now, VocalNeal said:

Easily shortened to Del. But that may not be easy either. 

Delphine comes originally from Dolphin so your name in Thai could be ปลาโลมา or Plālomā

Lol thanks 

On 5/6/2019 at 11:23 AM, BritManToo said:

I am Jim and my girlfriend is Koy.

Thais don't have any problem pronouncing our names, but for some reason they always snigger.

Jeeze, I wonder why! 555 

• Haha 1

It's a two way street, kids. Been living here about 18 years, speak passable level of Thai.

The number 8 I believe I will never master. Just one of those things...

Simply use "fuzzy logic" regarding language and you'll be okay. "A lows by any other name would smell as sweet"

I like what they do with final 'l"... appun, that football team Arsenun.

• Like 1

My name is mispronounced around the world or many don't want to even attempt to pronounce it so I just use Max. Simple easy and different enough that when it is called out by restaurant hostess or the like I know that they are paging me. :thumbsup:

On 5/6/2019 at 11:39 AM, villagefarang said:

When western words or names are written in Thai, they end up being pronounced based on Thai language rules.  If you speak Thai it is very easy to understand why they pronounce our words the way they do.

Quite right. Far example no 'v' sound, 's' or '..ce' English finals are pronounced with a 't' or are silent. In Thai an initial consonant must be followed by a vowel, written or not, as in 'st...' which is pronounced 'sa-t...' and so on. I have 'L' sound at the end of my name but in Thai it becomes 'n'. And of course there are others. But it also goes the other way too. In สุวรรณภูมิ the short 'i' vowel is silent yet when written in Thai but in English it is;

image.png.4c33be047df75d4aeb2edae6f8666f2d.png 

All good fun eh? Ha!

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 11:37 AM, kenk24 said:

Most Thai have a very short 3 letter nickname - nit, noy , lek, gai, etc... and mispronunciation and strangling of English, just for us, to show they are trying, well, isn't that part of the cultural charm?

my favorite was Reginald - shortened to "Wretch"

viva la difference!!

I am Rod, yet to hear it pronounced as anything other than Lob