Retirement renewal for 84 year old in Chiang Mai

Going to an agent today. Any suggestions in CM?

Switched to the deposit method after seven years of the income method, after the US Consulate stopped the letters. Income meets the requirements but I was not bringing over 65K/month so I switched.

13 hours ago, sfokevin said:

He was rejected because the staff at ALL Immigration offices have not been given clear instructions as to what the new law is and are just winging it...

As I mentioned on another relevant thread regarding my 800K retirement extension, this seems correct. I politely ask about any new rules and though the IO was aware that there were some new requirements, admitted they had not yet been briefed on detail I don't suppose it helps when there shuffles at the top either.

• Haha 1

(Police Order 327/2557 "basis for extension of stay") "For the first year only" is rather vague.  I see why my visa servicing agency told me it needs to be there for three months. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by LuiseM
I think I just answered my own question. sorry.

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The new rules state 2 months before and all immigration offices should be using that rule now. Perhaps the officer that did not accept your application was not aware of the new rules. I suggest you go back and ask them about it and request to talk to a supervisor.

You would have to formally changes your address to do your extension at another office.

I thought the two months was only for new applicants all those renewing have to have 800,000 in 3 months before and 3 months after . The IMO rules are very misleading.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crazykopite said:

I thought the two months was only for new applicants all those renewing have to have 800,000 in 3 months before and 3 months after . The IMO rules are very misleading.

It clearly states 2 months before and 3 months after. The 60 days before for the first application was removed from the police order when it was revised.

image.png.66639ca02e4fbaa05b2b1644f5897063.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

My experiences with CNX IMO is what they tell  you today is forgotten tomorrow. Try again at a different time in the hope the IO is eating.

The simplest solution is often the most effective. And for the OP not to worry.  

15 hours ago, sfokevin said:

He was rejected because the staff at ALL Immigration offices have not been given clear instructions as to what the new law is and are just winging it...

Or they are illiterate and can not read the same orders that farang retirees are suppose to follow.  Instead they 'cherry pick' the regulations they wish to follow.  

• Like 2

The first visa agent said unlikely as immigration already told me no yesterday. Looking at flights and requirements for a new Non-O, possibly in Vientiane or Phnom Penh.

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

And what did this dusting cost?

Good and relevant question of course. From above postings and previous threads it seems that if you meet the requirements agents typically charge 4,000 baht. If you don't, from 15,000 up to 27,000. In both cases your retirement extension is guaranteed to be granted on the spot. No risk of being sent away to produce anything else the IO may think up. In the second instance you have zero worries and preparation plus full use of your own cash.

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Good and relevant question of course. From above postings and previous threads it seems that if you meet the requirements agents typically charge 4,000 baht. If you don't, from 15,000 up to 27,000. In both cases your retirement extension is guaranteed to be granted on the spot. No risk of being sent away to produce anything else the IO may think up. In the second instance you have zero worries and preparation plus full use of your own cash.

Permit me to doubt the second instance has zero worries. It's illegal, and who is going to suffer if there is a crackdown? The IO, the agent or the applicant?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, properperson said:

84 year old down our way, just used an agent.....

Zero palava - done and dusted in 48 hours.....

In Thailand brown envelopes fix everything....look at Red Bull boy...

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

Which is EXACTLY what the immigration officer wants him to do, and why he rejected his application in the first place.  cha-ching.    

One can kick and scream about corruption all they like; however, it is not going to change anything. The screams are loudest from those who choose the DIY option. While I have some sympathy for their position, I prefer a quiet life without angst and hence have used an agent for the past ten years. Part of the cost of living in Thailand, but it's still a lot less than the cost of living in incorruptible Australia.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, properperson said:

84 year old down our way, just used an agent.....

Zero palava - done and dusted in 48 hours.....

Hence the reason IO turned application down - its all about using agents in smog CM

• Like 1

4 hours ago, niebla said:

Going to an agent today. Any suggestions in CM?

Switched to the deposit method after seven years of the income method, after the US Consulate stopped the letters. Income meets the requirements but I was not bringing over 65K/month so I switched.

The one directly across the road from immigration has had a long term relationship with the Chiang Mai office.

Good luck

42 minutes ago, Hummingbird said:

I am 75 and not well - - posted last week. Even with a printed copy of the new police order I was told to leave the country as seasoning is required to be three months, not two. I am currently out of the country and this absolutely stinks. Nevermind the expense. 

It is really too bad immigration is treating the westerners this way.  I feel for you.  I have read so many stupid comments about how great immigration officers are and how they want western retirees in this country.  

Even today, I read posts about all you have to do is deposit 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, and immigration will allow you to stay in this country for another year of 90 day reports, and TM forms, lol.   

Anyway, I wish you well.  More people should share their negative experiences regarding their immigration visits.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, niebla said:

The first visa agent said unlikely as immigration already told me no yesterday. Looking at flights and requirements for a new Non-O, possibly in Vientiane or Phnom Penh.

Perhaps try a few more agents.  I may be wrong, but I don't think Phnom Penh offers a Non-Imm O based on retirement. In order to get inside the Vientiane Consulate, an online appointment has to be made 2 to 3 weeks in advance.  In addition, for a Non-Imm O, Vientiane requires a Police background check and medical certificate.  

A Non-Imm O based on retirement can be obtained in Savannakhet with proof of retirement and in your case, 800k in a Thai bank account.  

Edit: Is it not possible to do a quick border run for a 30 day visa exempt entry then apply for a Non-Imm O in Chiang Mai?

Edited by SEtonal
  • Like 1

I'd very strongly advise you to consult an agent, Yes, I know they're a bit expensive but if you can afford to keep 800km tied up in a bank account this probably won't be too much of a problem for you. i use a very well known agency in CM (I believe TV rules prohibit me from telling you their name but you should be able to work it out without too much trouble) and they recently arranged a relatively complex Retirement Extension based on income for me with minimal fuss, If the IO is misinterpreting the rules, as appears to be the case here, It's best if the agent explains it to the IO rather than you (less loss of face).

Good luck.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The new rules state 2 months before and all immigration offices should be using that rule now. Perhaps the officer that did not accept your application was not aware of the new rules. I suggest you go back and ask them about it and request to talk to a supervisor.

You would have to formally changes your address to do your extension at another office.

good luck arguing with these people.  they will just tell you to go home.

• Like 1