Singapore Air - the world's best airline. - or not

isaantom

It is worth breaking from always fine-tuning flight changes. Travelling CX is one of them. A suggestion: If flying LHR-HKG-BKK take the CX flight which gets you into HKG at around 7am. Go through imm and collect luggage. Check into a pay-for lounge (lower-level under airport express) to have a shower and have breakfast and a rest. Either leave luggage there or airport left-luggage office (same area). Buy one-day return (same price as one-way) on Airport Express into town. You now have all-day to visit stuff. Continue onwards flight HKG-BKK later evening.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

It is worth breaking from always fine-tuning flight changes. Travelling CX is one of them. A suggestion: If flying LHR-HKG-BKK take the CX flight which gets you into HKG at around 7am. Go through imm and collect luggage. Check into a pay-for lounge (lower-level under airport express) to have a shower and have breakfast and a rest. Either leave luggage there or airport left-luggage office (same area). Buy one-day return (same price as one-way) on Airport Express into town. You now have all-day to visit stuff. Continue onwards flight HKG-BKK later evening.

That's good advice and something I've considered previously.  

Personally, I'm a little put off as the second leg is still quite a trek to BKK, though.  Doesn't mean I don't want to try CX at one time or another but will probably be for an alternative route.  Food for thought as never been to HK, nonetheless.

One reason I've never been via the Middle East (LON - BKK) is the halfway stopover.  I prefer uninterrupted sleep for at least eight hours and know that I can't attain that with a Middle East stop.  

It's good to consider all eventualities as circumstances, timings and visitations change constantly.  Thank you, SheungWan.  

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 9:14 PM, isaantom said:

1. On the occasion of booking Singapore customerservice assured 70 min layover in this booking would be ok.

2. I don't blame Singapore for the delays. I blame them for the "help" I've got and for their understanding of customer relations.

You probably misunderstood what SQ customer service were saying. 70 minutes is a perfectly adequate connection time between two SQ flights at Changi Airport

I think the OP just underestimated the transfer times, particularly as there was more than one change, a change of airline and a trip across town.

Always err on the cautious side when catching connecting flights.

As previously stated, 2 hours to connect is what is recommended. If same airline, most won’t even try to connect you with less than that. And that’s for going within the same airport. To have to get to VTBD even within 2 hours from vtbs you are not going to make it. I like a lot of the other suggestions of breaking it up via hkg. There are so many factors under which flights can be delayed that a lot of passengers don’t have any idea about that it’s not worth trying to fine tune it down to the minute imo.

Edited by ncc1701d

On 5/11/2019 at 4:29 PM, Mangkhut said:

If you travel to Europe from Bangkok via Singapore (sic) and the same way on the return you must have an awful lot of spare time. You should have calculated a bit more time in BKK. Or as others have mentioned, spend a night in BKK, have a shower, relax, have a good meal etc and continue the nest day. 

The definition of «best» is at best (555) very subjective including «best» airline too.

Agree, the flying time is 3 hours more per way, but on board Silkair/SIA this is no hassle. The transit time in SIN is 3 hours outbound and 2 hours inbound, but again: no hassle, and some spare time to compensate for delays. You need to make sure you fly outbound Sunday or Monday, and back Tuesday, Thursday or Friday, as these days offer the best connections/shortest transit time. I'm retired and don't mind to spend some more time travelling. AND: by taking this route, I can avoid Suvarnabhumi, and immigration and customs at CNX is zero compared to BKK.