Changing from Extension to O-A

If I leave the country with a valid, open extension of stay based on retirement can I obtain a Non-Immigrant O-A based on retirement in my country before the extension has expired? Example: Existing extension is valid until September 2019. I will be in USA in July 2019. Can I apply for an O-A in July?

I do know if I exit without a re-entry that would invalidate the extension but I'd rather leave that door open just in case an O-A is not granted for some reason.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A extension of stay becomes invalid as soon as you leave the country. No problem to a apply for a OA visa.

in the absence of a re entry permit that is...

glegolo

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, glegolo said:

in the absence of a re entry permit that is...

It is still invalid until you enter the country using a re-entry permit that allows a entry stamp with the same date that the extension ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

It is still invalid until you enter the country using a re-entry permit that allows a entry stamp with the same date that the extension ends.

so what you are saying is that the extension goes invalid as soon as you leave Thailand, and then is being valid AGAIN when showing the re entry permit upon arrivel back to Thailand.... interesting....

thanks for info

glegolo

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Leaving the country and getting a departure stamp ends any permit to stay stamp whether it is from a entry or a extension of stay.

Entering the country using a re-entry permit reinstates the permit to stay a person had when they left the country.

That is good to know.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I just did exactly this - departed with a re-entry permit on my existing extension as backup, and then applied for a new Non O-A. When arriving back in Thailand, make sure to enter the new visa number (and not the re-entry permit number) on the TM6 form. 

Great Call Lamyai3 - Its what I will be doing next month as it also answers my question of if the re-entry permit (as back up) would cause a problem - Also making sure the TM6 gets the new visa number not the re-entry also a great reminder.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 9:47 AM, ubonjoe said:

Leaving the country and getting a departure stamp ends any permit to stay stamp whether it is from a entry or a extension of stay.

Entering the country using a re-entry permit reinstates the permit to stay a person had when they left the country.

Eh??

So when I check-in to fly back to Thailand why do they look for my extension stamp, which according to the above is actually invalid?

Edited by arithai12

I’m thinking same way so can anyone confirm that I can get effectively 2 years from my new OA if I arrive in Thailand on 10th October 2019 with OA, leave end of March 2020 and return to Thailand on 4th October 2020?

all replies appreciated, especially if I’m wrong and give me a better plan

Thanks

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tosseroon said:

return to Thailand on 4th October 2020?

That would depend upon when your visa was issued. You have to enter the country before the visas valid until date.

The rest is correct.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tosseroon said:

I’m thinking same way so can anyone confirm that I can get effectively 2 years from my new OA if I arrive in Thailand on 10th October 2019 with OA, leave end of March 2020 and return to Thailand on 4th October 2020?

all replies appreciated, especially if I’m wrong and give me a better plan

Thanks

The key to your return-date in 2020 is the "Valid Until" (or "Enter Before") date on the Non-OA Visa.  That date will be 1-year after you apply for it - not 1-year after you first "use" it. 

Therefore, if you plan to return on 4-Oct-2020, make sure you don't apply for the OA Visa before 4 Oct 2019.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

When arriving back in Thailand, make sure to enter the new visa number (and not the re-entry permit number) on the TM6 form. 

And maybe write something along the lines of NON-OA after the number so as to alert the IO to the fact that it's a genuine visa he/she should be hunting down in the passport on this occasion, rather than a re-entry permit masquerading as one??

• Like 1

Hi...I've just flew back to Thailand this week on my re-entry permit based on my first extension on retirement. I put on my TM6 the extension number, was I supposed to write the re-entry permit number?

The IO didn't pass any comment and stamped correct date to next May. Thanks in advance for confirmation of correct procedure.

On 5/12/2019 at 7:34 AM, ubonjoe said:

The stamp is still there but in reality the permit to stay date on it is invalid.

They should be looking at your re-entry permit since that is what allows you to enter the country.

So a multiple entry OA? What is it's validity exactly?

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

So a multiple entry OA? What is it's validity exactly?

A OA long stay visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue.

If you leave and enter the country just before the visa expires you would get a new one year entry stretches the total stay from the visa to almost 2 years. After the visa expires you need a re-entry permit to keep that last one year entry valid if you want to travel.

16 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

do not change to non-o a you are goin to be required a mandatory health nsurance now.

That will probably not go into effect for a month or two or more. He might have time to get one before it happens.

Just now, patinchis said:

I see now a health insurance is needed to renew or obtain O-A or retirement extension

No mention of extensions in the news article. Some people are only misreading the article.

16 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

So it’s starting to look like OA visas are better than retirement extensions. But are OAs easy to get if you’re actually living here, assuming you’re prepared to travel back home each time you need a new 12m OA?

You would only need to return home every 2 years as O-A  can be stretched out for a second yr. There are requirements that are more onerous for the O-A. Having docs certified, to mention one. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You would only need to return home every 2 years as O-A  can be stretched out for a second yr. There are requirements that are more onerous for the O-A. Having docs certified, to mention one. 

Stretching it out to 2 years only works if you don’t leave the country during the second year. Which docs are you referring to needing certification?

Edited by Fairynuff