Saraburi Confusion and Befuddlement

When did your existing extension of stay end? When I first read your post I thought it was April 9. But reading it again that may be the date you applied for it.

It seems that they cancelled your existing extension  based upon on retirement on the date you applied for the extension based upon marriage. That is standard procedure when you change the reason for your extension of stay.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When did your existing extension of stay end? When I first read your post I thought it was April 9. But reading it again that may be the date you applied for it.

It seems that they cancelled your existing extension  based upon on retirement on the date you applied for the extension based upon marriage. That is standard procedure when you change the reason for your extension of stay.

Thanks UJ. I changed before from marriage to Retirement without loss of extention previously; so this caught me by suprise. If I had known I would have applied later, unless the I.O.s statement that you must apply 30 days before is true now? (My extention for Retirement expired on the 7th May).

Edited by Nibor1945

4 minutes ago, Nibor1945 said:

If I had known I would have applied later, unless the I.O.s statement that you must apply 30 days before is true now?

There is no requirement to apply 30 days early. You can do it on the last day if you want to.

18 minutes ago, BertM said:

To OP,

I wouldn't be disgruntled if I was you. You got the extension without any problems and it was probably done by the book and now you can spend down your money. Sit back and enjoy your next 11 mths...

Others are not so fortunate. 

Thanks Bert, that almost makes me feel better- almost, but I do understand where you're coming from.

Edited by Nibor1945
finger trouble
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, glegolo said:

RELAX, no big deal for anybody, not even for you. be happy that it all went well..

and listen to your wife, after 23 years here, you should know better than misbehave..

glegolo

3 minutes ago, glegolo said:

RELAX, no big deal for anybody, not even for you. be happy that it all went well..

and listen to your wife, after 23 years here, you should know better than misbehave..

glegolo

I'm sorry sir. (Ise ever so Umble).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I did a similar application using child support as the reason for a non o visa. With all the confusion around how much deposit and the time it had to be in the bank I applied a month early and lost that month. The old visa was cancelled the day I applied  and I received a temporary stay awaiting a decision from Bangkok. If it is ok to apply on the day and get the months under consideration I'll do that next year.

I put the B800,000 3 months in advance, just in case it failed and I had to revert to a retirement option this time, what is the money in the bank requirement for a child support visa?

I have read B400,00-500,000 in your account for 3 months to on the day? The Phuket officer just said what I had was ok but wouldn't elaborate?

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

But, had he instead applied for a 60-day extension to visit his wife and then an annual marriage extension, would his existing retirement extension have still been cancelled?

19 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But, had he instead applied for a 60-day extension to visit his wife and then an annual marriage extension, would his existing retirement extension have still been cancelled?

Not until near the end of the 60 days when he could apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage.

17 hours ago, Nibor1945 said:

could lose a month of extention as well. After 23 years of reasonable service I now join the ranks of the disgruntled.

all over the loss of a month? 

It makes sense to me that if you change type of visa, the new visa will cancel out the old visa... 

If you got upset over 1 month loss of time, a few dollars, then I guess many many things in life will leave you disgruntled... my wife would have been terribly embarrassed if I acted that way too... 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not until near the end of the 60 days when he could apply for a extension of stay based upon marriage.

Sorry, I could have made myself clearer. Like the OP I would be forced to switch from retirement (based on 65k monthly income in my case) to marriage (based on 400k in the bank in my case) if anything were to go pear-shaped with any of the monthly bank transfers I’m now required to perform, thanks to the British Embassy (e.g. they might go AWOL or prove insufficient following a dramatic fall in the value of sterling). However, I would hope to be able to obtain an interim 60-day extension to visit my wife to facilitate the 400k seasoning requirement.

Based on timings for my next annual extension, what I envisage is as follows:-

11 August – expiry of my current permission to stay

12 July (30 days beforehand) – apply for my next retirement extension of stay based on 65k monthly income. However, if Immigration were to tell me “no can do” for any reason, I would instead apply for a 60-day extension to visit my wife. But would this latter extension then expire on:-

(1) 10 September (i.e. 12 July + 60 days), or

(2) 10 October (i.e. 11 August + 60 days)?

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

all over the loss of a month? 

It makes sense to me that if you change type of visa, the new visa will cancel out the old visa... 

If you got upset over 1 month loss of time, a few dollars, then I guess many many things in life will leave you disgruntled... my wife would have been terribly embarrassed if I acted that way too... 

The point I tried to make was that it was the same visa extended 23 times, the only change being the reason for the extention; going back to what it was originally. As to my behaviour, I am in the process of eating 'Humble pie' on certain aspects, but find I don't regret it in its entirety.

3 hours ago, Nibor1945 said:

The point I tried to make was that it was the same visa extended 23 times, the only change being the reason for the extention; going back to what it was originally. As to my behaviour, I am in the process of eating 'Humble pie' on certain aspects, but find I don't regret it in its entirety.

Sure, Thai respect authority and nobody likes a scene - - so, you embarrassed your wife, made the jobs of the IO uncomfortable, all for what - $6? But hey, you have your principles, your sense of right and wrong, who cares? To me, a retirement visa is different from a marriage visa, different requirements, but that would be what I would expect, not what the customs are, but again, really, why throw a fit over a piddling sum?