What was your best use of money ever in Thailand?

On 5/18/2019 at 4:15 PM, faraday said:

6000 baht on a Jack Russell puppy. The fun & happiness that he brings to me & my wife is wonderful.

Oh geez - best answer for sure... now I want one too... or two... too. 

A friend of mine had 2 and they were really smart... though one could be a bit nasty... or maybe just afraid of strangers... 

• Like 2

Despite all the real estate naysayers, my best purchase was scraping up the money to buy my first condo in Thailand--a studio in Rayong, which my partner and I fixed up and sold--at a profit.  Yes, you can make a profit.  We used the money to buy another Rayong studio, did the same thing, and then it was off to Pattaya.  And, 14 or so more of the same thing, although we graduated to 1, 2, and 3 bedrooms.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Oh geez - best answer for sure... now I want one too... or two... too. 

A friend of mine had 2 and they were really smart... though one could be a bit nasty... or maybe just afraid of strangers... 

Our boy is wonderful, very clever, & tireless.

Pm me if I can help, the guy I bought it off was excellent.

• Thanks 1

Top two.  First the time I paid my Girl Friend's uncle to drive us around Pattaya outskirts on my very first trip.  Got to spend all day at Nong Nooch on our schedule no rush, and the next day crocodile park again no rush.  Then a little sight seeing around 2004.  The next winner was the vip seat bus ride from mo chit up to Sukhothai.  What a nice view out the windows seeing some rice fields some water buffalos, just a pleasant ride.  That and the 200 baht a night simple hotel room in sukhothai and two days wandering around the park there.  Easy peasy

On 5/18/2019 at 4:24 PM, Pravda said:

How is that your house? This is the worst use of your money. Talk to me again when Thais take all.

never happened in the last 20 years, dont think that will happen in the next 20 either.

• Like 1

2 things for me

1) Paying the 10k baht at customs so they wouldn't open the doors on our 40ft container that we shipped over from the states.

2) Building a full kitchen off the main house ( 145k baht ) 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 3:10 PM, buick said:

paying off the police to avoid doing time in the big house  ???!!!

BINGO on that score.....was going to have to enjoy a Christmas in the monkey house unless someone got some baht.....under the table, but of course....????

19 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Extensive dental work over 5 year period ... amazing wonderful ????????

bangkokdentalspa.com

Ditto.... 1/3rd of the way through 640K of Dental treatment & am very happy with the results so far ????

But my best use of money has to be the 20K Thailand Longstay Membership (1 year) which gets me fast track arrival/departure at Swampy... Waste of money for guys who live here full time & don't travel much, but I'm in & out 1-2 times a month so a god send for me 

Lots of 'materialism' here - the best thing I did was get rid of houses and their contents before moving here.

Freedom.
Freedom from keeping warranties and paperwork , 'registering' it , paying taxes on it ,  following the service  plan ,  freedom from maintaining stuff ,  repainting it , cleaning it ,  moving it , storing it , Securing it ,  doing it up , 'upgrading ' it!
I was owned by  my possessions - and I didnt know it... after a year here in LOS to see if I could handle it , I decided I could , and went home and sold up.

If I couldnt sell what I had back home , I just gave it  away. 
That was liberating , I can tell you.
From numerous properties and contents , to TWO suitcases inside of one year.

Now anything I buy  besides the normal , is usually for my rental home ,  and its  appliances/labour saving stuff , for the live in girlfriend to use , as she cooks and cleans ( and insists thats her realm) . 
If she leaves tomorrow , she can take  pretty much it all  ( except my truck and one scooter)
Its unlikely I will ask her to  go but , shes cool , and she  is the one always saying , "We dont need that , why you buy that for ? " She likes a simple life to...
But if she goes shes welcome to the 'stuff' she wants .
 I can replace it  - it was probably due for work/service/cleaning  anyway. 555

I didnt come here to replicate my  cluttered life in my previous cold country.
I learnt that "stuff" is just "stuff" ...
I came here to start afresh ...walk the beaches , exercise a bit , do what I want when I want , have a snooze when I want , cook my own food. Travel anytime.
 Never have to "make hay" , because the sun was always plenty warm enough....therefore not even have a wardrobe of warm clothes !
Each to their own , but the best thing I did for ME , is downsize ...and care less.

This comment above is exactly how many Western expats feel. Back in our home country it can be a rat race and we’re constantly bombarded with keeping up in a materialistic world. Living here has made me to be less judgemental, to be more patient, and to more calm. Money cannot buy this.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

After too many substandard overpriced trips , up to 4 or 5 months a year for 5 years now, and with the ladies getting less enticing and more demanding and somehow less pretty , the best way to spend my money now is anywhere else except LOS. Totally lost faith and interest and now see it for what it really is , sadly. It’s not a vindictive post and I regret coming to this realistic decision. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terryofcrete said:

After too many substandard overpriced trips , up to 4 or 5 months a year for 5 years now, and with the ladies getting less enticing and more demanding and somehow less pretty , the best way to spend my money now is anywhere else except LOS. Totally lost faith and interest and now see it for what it really is , sadly. It’s not a vindictive post and I regret coming to this realistic decision. 

Off topic.

1 minute ago, terryofcrete said:

We all get older, with that comes older gray cell stuff....????