US Embassy issues advisory on medical care for tourists, long-stay expats

webfact

8 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I just want to say that the Tricare for Life Overseas for retired service members is 10 times better than anything they offer here.  You pay the bill and Tricare reimburses you 75% of the cost after $150 deductible.   There is also a Cap of $3,000 per the calendar year.  After you met the cap Tricare for Life overseas pays the full bill.  Plus a few international hospitals here like BHN and Bumrungrad Hospital will charge you 25% of the bill and submit the claim to Tricare for you.  Immigration here better accepts this if we are required to have the insurance.

Bumrungrad stopped direct billing TRICARE for U.S. military retiree inpatient care at least seven months ago. Bumrungrad is non-committal if they will restart.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

The US State Department does not give “friendly” advisories to overseas Americans.  There is always a reason behind it.  To my fellow Americans this a Big Hint:  You will need to purchase health insurance if you are a long term visa holder in Thailand.  Also, when the Health Insurance law becomes comprehensive the Embassy can say “We told you so”,   As an American I have lived in 3 other countries and realized the mission of a US Embassy is not to assist it’s citizens.  Instead it is to promote American businesses.  

How wrong you are. The US State Department frequently provides 'friendly advice." They even have a web site for it. Their latest bit of advice is true for anyone anywhere and does not mean the Embassy has any special knowledge. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Your particular hospital bills may not have gone over 100,000 but inpatient stays in private hospitals very, very often go not just over 100,000k (vast majority for that) but also well over 1,000,000 baht. We have had members here with bills in excess of 3 million on a single hospitalization - major of course, entailing long ICU stay, specialized surgery and the like. But it happens.

You should be prepared for bills in the 3-4 million range and if you are not,  best consider additional insurance.

Exactly & something many expats do not realize.

They predict medical costs based on a few tests or physicals they may have gotten in Thailand.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Thailand said:

I see TV is pushing their own insurance package along with every other click bait ad being for medical insurance, it must be nailed on it's that it is going to be across the board.

Sadly, the prices are out of the world won't give you a quote after 1954?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I just want to say that the Tricare for Life Overseas for retired service members is 10 times better than anything they offer here.  You pay the bill and Tricare reimburses you 75% of the cost after $150 deductible.   There is also a Cap of $3,000 per the calendar year.  After you met the cap Tricare for Life overseas pays the full bill.  Plus a few international hospitals here like BHN and Bumrungrad Hospital will charge you 25% of the bill and submit the claim to Tricare for you.  Immigration here better accepts this if we are required to have the insurance.

Yes, those retired with Tri-Care global medical coverage are very fortunate. They earned their benefit through their service. I submit that those of us on earned (and continued premium payments) also earned our medical benefits. As all should know, Medicare cannot be used outside US territory. I want Medicare overseas benefits extended on the same basis as Tri-Care benefits. Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does the US government have shares in Private hospitals in Thailand? No mention of the excellent world class treatment that is available in public, government run hospitals at a fraction of the cost!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

10 hours ago, malibukid said:

how about extending Medicare to your citizens?  thank you USA

Agreed! On the same basis as earned Tri-Care global coverage. Obviously is already being done with Tri-care. Cheaper, world-class coverage here in Thailand. Until recently, Thailand has been promoting medical tourism and elderly care ... US extension of Medicare benefits would save the US provided Medicare system money. I know ... forget it. The US for-profit medical folks would certainly oppose.

• Like 1

Link the AmEmb article is where? I don't see it on the embassy web site and I have not received email alert from American Citizen Services. Only place I see this "avisory" is the Phuket news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, OmarZaid said:

Marry a government worker -- they have great insurance

Actually it depends

You may well be talking about marrying a Thai Govt worker. 

I'm married to a Thai who works for the US Government

She's a civilian contractor for DoD.

Now I'm not complaining the coverage we get through BCBS is great, but it's nothing better than any other civilian would get outside of the Federal system.

It's not like Tricare or the like

Edited by GinBoy2

10 hours ago, malibukid said:

what did you expect from the world richest country.  look who's in charge.  as an American i could expect nothing less.  it was once a great nation. sucks now.  we have to take care of the immigrants first these days.

If you are referring to Trump (look who's in charge), this is one thing I wouldn't pin on him or Republicans (though both are appalling).

US expats are lower than a flea on a Soi dogs butt regardless of party. We just don't matter, taxation aside.

Edited by Emdog
spelling
  • Like 2

I thought the language used in the US advisory was very carefully crafted but the message is clear :  If you don’t have “Deep Pockets” (eg lots of money) you really need to have insurance coverage in Thailand.

• Like 1

On this and forums, I see people saying, no need for out patient. In my experience Physiotherapy or god forbid Chemotherapy are often done as an outpatient and can be very expensive. Outpatient does not necessarily mean the bill will be 200 or so Baht... Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

The difference is that we Farang will complain here online, relatively quietly and ultimately suck it up and figure out ways to pay.

The Chinese, on the other hand, would protest en masse and their government would protest and the Thais would then back down or severely limit the requirements.

The only way to encourage Thai to do sensible things is through threat of retaliation and they know we Farang won't, so every few years, they'll try on something else knowing we'll just pay up.

Can't see one word that is not true in your post. But the Chinese are seen as en-masse of the billions, and we are only pockets from our own perspective countries. Its how they see it inside their Thai box.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, quandow said:

I have insurance as a retired civil servant. GREAT in the states, WORTHLESS in Thailand.

That's the problem and then there is the costly useless insurance here. I would not mind at all to a government policy that was 10k per year.

Agree. Retired military should have no problem because it is an excellent benefit for retired military. Not sure Thai Immigration knows much about it, but here in Chiangmai, as I understand it, has a contract with Tricare and bills directly for their part. Also, part if the coverage is the benefit is Coverage 100% coverage after the first $3000 of allowable benefit each year.

Hope the US Embassy can help educate the Thai Immigration about the Tricare coverage for active and retired military.

• Like 1