Pros and Cons of cambodia over thailand?

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Hospitals not up to western standards

People pissing in the street

Hygiene not that great (food poisoning)

Infrastructure not as good

Malls not that brilliant (Phnom Penh Japanese mall pretty good though)

... interesting place to visit, I'm not sure that I'd want to stay there.

More info on the malls pls and what foods should I avoid?  *due to not washing hands I suppose?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Very "different" levels of:

- poverty and begging

- English proficiency

- food quality (still haven't met a farang who loves fish amok)

- corruption

- perceived safety

- visa hassles

- chances of stepping on a mine

Just a bit too third-world for me, but you never know what's going to happen with Thailand's visa policies in the medium to long-term.

more or less?

better nightlife?

Wifi?

water?

1 hour ago, DingDongLing said:

More info on the malls pls and what foods should I avoid?  *due to not washing hands I suppose?

Costa Coffee shop in PP mall, and many decent restaurants. The mall was modern and western standard, with a cinema, sports shops and a decent supermarket. Right in the heart of the city.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

In my experience, nightlife in Cambodia is not amazing (but is interesting nonetheless), WiFi is nowhere near as accessible or speedy, and yes, they do have water.

Wifi is pretty complicated to use around establishments in thailand.  So by this standard, cambodia is much worse?   Hotels/bars/malls/food/cafes have them?  

9 hours ago, DingDongLing said:

Please input old wisdom members.

Pros and Cons of Cambodia over thailand?

Not been there but it would be my first call with plan 'B' should it happen for going in and out of Thailand.

After reading about Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, I've still to find out about living in Laos or Myanmar.

Edited by Kwasaki

12 hours ago, madmen said:

Arm pit of SEA full of farang junkies , lawless no police anywhere and in your face relentless beggars..AVOID!!

I think you've never been to Cambodia. I go often and I've never seen a junkie, beggars sit on the side of the road.

Edited by bender92

7 minutes ago, bender92 said:

I think you've never been to Cambodia. I go often and I've never seen a junkie, beggars sit on the side of the road.

Cambodian beggars! and relentless hassle by the tuk tuk guys. You sure you been there?

7 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Looking forward to going back there, have never encountered any problems on any of my previous visits over a 20 year period. Never saw 1 junkie, though I don't move in those circles, never saw any lawlessness or never needed a cop. Fascinating history.

Its a well know fact that westerners travel to Cambodia because of its drug culture due to its lawlessness where they can score crack, smack and coke. There are bars and one is called the red fox that roll joints and sell them to westerners who smoke them in the bar , they also can get you any other drugs including heroin.

You are in serious denial

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, madmen said:

Its a well know fact that westerners travel to Cambodia because of its drug culture due to its lawlessness where they can score crack, smack and coke. There are bars and one is called the red fox that roll joints and sell them to westerners who smoke them in the bar , they also can get you any other drugs including heroin.

You are in serious denial

You forgot Happy Pizza, and cannabis is openly on sale and smoked in Siem Reap ($10 for a packet).

Didn't see any meth, but I assume it's as easily available as it is in Thailand (which is everywhere).

Not really interested in the fake 'war on drugs', if you want it, take it IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1