Junta celebrates its birthday while Thailand cowers

webfact

2 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

5 years

another 15 to go

I'm willing to bet my house on it, that this Junta will not survive another 10, let alone 15 years.

And hopefully, this country is in for some real drastic changes (for the better) in my lifetime).

2 hours ago, Lungstib said:

And thats the real truth. The people may not like or want it but in Thailand that doesn't matter in the slightest. Just make it illegal to criticise or protest and your almost there. The citizenry are already educated from birth not to talk about certain subjects and to maintain a rigid silence rather than speak up. Its not easy but the system has been perfected where a small unique portion of the population are completely dominant over the majority and yet no-one is brave enough to speak out. 

I believe it will change for the better.

Sooner rather than later.

It will be very very messy.

But that is the only option to carry the country forward.

It will happen.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Wonder how long it will last ? Not the celebration, which will probably last longer than the tarmac....

That's a worry if it was only a one day celebration!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Instead it cemented the military’s place in national politics and the politicisation of key institutions like the Constitutional Court. 

Cemented consistent since 1932 with the rise of the military establishment as the preeminent force of governance in Thailand. There was never a People's Revolution. There never has been a People's drafted constitution.

Politicization of key institutions have and continues to include NACC, Office of the Ombudsman, Thailand National Human Rights Commission, the EC, the whole judicial system, senior civil service (in short the entire constitution regardless of the year drafted), albeit through the LEGAL use of absolute power under various political tools such as Article 44.

So long as the military can count on its wealthy corporate supporters and persons otherwise of extreme influence, it has no cause to deviate from its self-created historical prerogative to dominate the Thai people's sovereignty.

6 hours ago, faraday said:

A refreshingly direct article from the Nation, particularly liked the opening sentence.

They have had ample opportunity, to drastically improve people's lives, to have some sort of fairness here. It actually grieves me sometimes, when I see that some people - a lot more than in the West, have not had any opportunity to really improve their lives. Just continue to live by the day.

Shall we discuss this sensibly, instead of the usual " Well, Thaksin was a crook"???

Ps. Just off to McD's for a Milkshake - anybody want one.....?

Do me a favour and buy Corbin a bucket load please

Ahhhh May 22, 2014... the date the word democracy was forcibly torn from the pages of the Thai dictionary and replaced with a 'loving' photo of Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un.

What were you doing on that infamous date?  That evening I was playing pool with a sexy babe in a bar in Khon Kaen when suddenly sirens sounded followed by police jeeps patrolling with loudspeakers blaring.  They were announcing the brand new martial-law curfew and ordering all shops to close and for everyone to be off the streets by 10 pm (IIRC).

The expression T.I.T was to take on a whole new meaning that night.

7 hours ago, Bournville said:

Wow! Honest and to the point article! Hope the writer will be ok!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This website is in English and besides its just a few foreigners (which are extremely low down the pecking order) moaning about Thailand, so it will be largely ignored by the majority of Thais. Whereas if it was in Thai, then you would be talking about a serious issue.

11 hours ago, onera1961 said:

But improving people's life is detrimental to farangs' interest. If the living standard of living increases, availability of cheap sex and 20 years younger girl to marry a 50+ farang dimihses

some people might view this silly coment as irrelevant nonsense from a feminist or Christian with aone track mind, with no genuine interest in the Thai people.

9 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I agree. This person should be scared as there is nothing flattering in the article and seriously points a corrupt finger at them.. 

Nation is dropping it's print edition and I doubt many Thais can/bother reading English language opinion pieces. He can foam all he wants.

30 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Nation is dropping it's print edition and I doubt many Thais can/bother reading English language opinion pieces. He can foam all he wants.

Tho' you might be correct-who knows-I don't think that it works that way in a heavily censored state.

I am very sure that a number of Thai's but not necessarily the "man on the street",do take quite an interest.

I will leave it at that.

9 hours ago, Srikcir said:

So long as the military can count on its wealthy corporate supporters and persons otherwise of extreme influence, it has no cause to deviate from its self-created historical prerogative to dominate the Thai people's sovereignty.

The structure of the military, whilst it looks impressive is built on foundations of sand. Most of the troops are less than enthusiastic conscripts. Much effort is expended on badges, trinkets and "looking good". There is little real training. Most of the large numbers of reserves (ex conscripts) would be officered by cadets who trained at school to avoid the draft, and have little or no meaningful training, and even less interest. I doubt that there is the kit to equip them, the resources to command and lead them or the means to transport them if they are mobilised (always assuming that they turn up)!

Foundations of sand don't last if the building is rocked...

10 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I believe it will change for the better.

Sooner rather than later.

It will be very very messy.

But that is the only option to carry the country forward.

22 minutes ago, JAG said:

The structure of the military, whilst it looks impressive is built on foundations of sand. Most of the troops are less than enthusiastic conscripts. Much effort is expended on badges, trinkets and "looking good". There is little real training. Most of the large numbers of reserves (ex conscripts) would be officered by cadets who trained at school to avoid the draft, and have little or no meaningful training, and even less interest. I doubt that there is the kit to equip them, the resources to command and lead them or the means to transport them if they are mobilised (always assuming that they turn up)!

Foundations of sand don't last if the building is rocked...

Have you worked with the military say with jet pilots or helicopter pilots or ..........  How do you know all this stuff? 

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Have you worked with the military say with jet pilots or helicopter pilots or ..........  How do you know all this stuff? 

I was a professional soldier for many years (Infantry), and maintain a keen professional interest in it.

16 minutes ago, JAG said:

I was a professional soldier for many years (Infantry), and maintain a keen professional interest in it.

Have you worked with the Thai army?  If not how do you know anything about it?  Maybe you could tell us about the T-84M and VT-4s or compare and contrast the number of operational tanks between the Thai and Vietnamese armies? 

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Have you worked with the Thai army?  If not how do you know anything about it?  Maybe you could tell us about the T-84M and VT-4s or compare and contrast the number of operational tanks between the Thai and Vietnamese armies? 

I have as it happens, worked with the Thai military (rather a long time ago now). I see nothing to persuade me that it has changed

At the risk of going off topic (and my observations we're on the use of the Thai military to control it's own people and maintain the present government); I'm sure the main battle tanks you mention are excellent kit, when they are backed up by the training, command control and communication equipment and experience, artillery, armoured infantry and engineer bridging equipments needed to support them. Then of course the logistical train to resupply them and the engineering people and kit to maintain them. If all that exists and trains together then maybe they would be a match for the Vietnamese ( once they had got through Laos and Cambodia). I don't know, would enjoy discussing it, but this is not the place.

Going back to the topic, for the reasons I explained initially, and for the role which we are talking about, the Thai Army is, I believe, a paper tiger.

12 hours ago, JAG said:

I have as it happens, worked with the Thai military (rather a long time ago now). I see nothing to persuade me that it has changed

At the risk of going off topic (and my observations we're on the use of the Thai military to control it's own people and maintain the present government); I'm sure the main battle tanks you mention are excellent kit, when they are backed up by the training, command control and communication equipment and experience, artillery, armoured infantry and engineer bridging equipments needed to support them. Then of course the logistical train to resupply them and the engineering people and kit to maintain them. If all that exists and trains together then maybe they would be a match for the Vietnamese ( once they had got through Laos and Cambodia). I don't know, would enjoy discussing it, but this is not the place.

Going back to the topic, for the reasons I explained initially, and for the role which we are talking about, the Thai Army is, I believe, a paper tiger.

I doubt Cobra Gold every year since 1982 would continue to be held if a paper tiger.  I also worked with the Thai army 1968.  They were not quite as you described. It would be interesting to ask a current participant from Cobra gold his opinion.  Have you done that?  VFW hosts meetings every year.  I'm sure you go. 

12 hours ago, JAG said:

The structure of the military, whilst it looks impressive is built on foundations of sand. 

If only it was that simple.

Rather the structure of the military is secured to the bedrock of 800 years of kingdoms ruled through absolute power.

Yes, the enlisted ranks presents a weakness but that's why Thailand has such an excess of general/flag officers whose total numbers greatly exceed that of the USA (about 890 in 2016) - one (to be neutral) of the strongest militaries on earth today. Thailand's bloated officer corp doesn't exist to counter international threats against the nation but exists largely to protect its domestic political survival - to keep order in the ranks and assure the ranks obey orders with unquestioned loyalty. One might cut the ranks (non-officer corp) by half with likely very little degradation of its overall military effectiveness. 

I view the post-1932 Thai military not as a stand-alone political force but as an equal member of a triumvirate political structure identified (apparently thus far with sufficient vagueness not to violate TV posting rules) in my previous post that you are addressing. The Nation questioned in August 2014 whether the NCPO itself would be as powerful as China's politburo. "Prayut has reportedly decided to upgrade his [NCPO] advisory team into a body similar to the central politburo of China's Communist Party."  http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/politics/aec/30242019  Similar somewhat but it is the collective of the Thai triumvirate that is more patterned after a politburo.

A one or two leg stand stool can be easily tipped. But a three-legged stool is more stable than even a four-legged stool. https://twentytwowords.com/a-mathematical-explanation-of-a-3-legged-stools-complete-inability-to-wobble/

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I doubt Cobra Gold every year since 1982 would continue to be held if a paper tiger.  I also worked with the Thai army 1968.  They were not quite as you described. It would be interesting to ask a current participant from Cobra gold his opinion.  Have you done that?  VFW hosts meetings every year.  I'm sure you go. 

I don't have anything to do with VFW, as I am British not American. I worked with the Thai Army some 30 years after you did. That is when I formed my opinion.

As for Cobra Gold, I understand that it is largely a political and PR exercise. The only US officer I have spoken to about it was of the opinion that it's main value was to assess the state of the US manufactured equipment, and perhaps to repair some where possible.

So perhaps we can leave it now - I expressed an opinion and explained why I hold it. I am not really interested in a stream of querulous demands to know if I have "done" this or that.

3 hours ago, JAG said:

I don't have anything to do with VFW, as I am British not American. I worked with the Thai Army some 30 years after you did. That is when I formed my opinion.

As for Cobra Gold, I understand that it is largely a political and PR exercise. The only US officer I have spoken to about it was of the opinion that it's main value was to assess the state of the US manufactured equipment, and perhaps to repair some where possible.

So perhaps we can leave it now - I expressed an opinion and explained why I hold it. I am not really interested in a stream of querulous demands to know if I have "done" this or that.

I'm involved with the Thai military as they help us spread ashes of our comrades who have died here.  I am also involved with Cobra gold when they assist in helping Thai orphanages and schools when here.  Sorry if I quieted your expertise as it doesn't include combat I'm not really interested but thanks for answering.  Cobra Gold is the largest annual Asia-Pacific military exercise. It improves the capabilities of participating nations to plan operations and conduct them together, build relationships and enhance maritime security and response to natural disasters.  With a name like JAG I figured you were an American Judge Advocate General's office type.  Do they have those initials in the British army too?

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm involved with the Thai military as they help us spread ashes of our comrades who have died here.  I am also involved with Cobra gold when they assist in helping Thai orphanages and schools when here.  Sorry if I quieted your expertise as it doesn't include combat I'm not really interested but thanks for answering.  Cobra Gold is the largest annual Asia-Pacific military exercise. It improves the capabilities of participating nations to plan operations and conduct them together, build relationships and enhance maritime security and response to natural disasters.  With a name like JAG I figured you were an American Judge Advocate General's office type.  Do they have those initials in the British army too?

JAG are my initials. 

I was a professional soldier (an Infantry Officer) for a long time. Like most British soldiers between 1976 and 2005 I saw a fair amount of active service, in a number of conflicts. Some alongside the United States, (always interesting) some without their participation.

Perhaps you are unaware 

that the armed forces of nations other than the United States serve on operations? That said of course most of us are not quite so profligate with medals and badges! We do however find the sight of the ribbons and badges adorning our American allies uniforms both impressive and entertaining

Thank you for the cut and paste job explaining Exercise Cobra Gold. I've read it before I am sure, it certainly sounds familiar, but thank you anyway for making the effort. I am sure that you do most valuable work when you are involved with the exercise.

However I am not really interested in your attempt to pick a fight, and as it seems that is all you are trying to do. Goodbye.

16 minutes ago, JAG said:

JAG are my initials. 

I was a professional soldier (an Infantry Officer) for a long time. Like most British soldiers between 1976 and 2005 I saw a fair amount of active service, in a number of conflicts. Some alongside the United States, (always interesting) some without their participation.

Perhaps you are unaware 

that the armed forces of nations other than the United States serve on operations? That said of course most of us are not quite so profligate with medals and badges! We do however find the sight of the ribbons and badges adorning our American allies uniforms both impressive and entertaining

Thank you for the cut and paste job explaining Exercise Cobra Gold. I've read it before I am sure, it certainly sounds familiar, but thank you anyway for making the effort.

However I am not really interested in your attempt to pick a fight, and as it seems that is all you are trying to do. Goodbye.

You wrote, "most of us are not quite so profligate with medals and badges! We do however find the sight of the ribbons and badges adorning our American allies uniforms both impressive and entertaining."  Is that not trying to pick a fight?  Kind of the pot calling the kettle black eh?  You purported knowledge of the Thai military.  I questioned that.  No more no less.  My dealings with the Thai military are at the ground level and I don't know any generals and the troops I've met have been courteous and efficient in their dealings with me.  They appeared well trained in technical areas with the vast array of modern weapons they use.  You know little about American decorations I'd suggest limiting your comments to specifics that you know about rather than stereotypes. I'm a disabled vet as a result of the Vietnam war.  Personally I don't care much about medals and am more concerned about my hospital bills paid as a result of injuries suffered in combat. 

Archived