Mandatory health insurance for over 50s in Thailand only affects those on Non-Immigrant Visa O-A

webfact

This is a good and helpful clarification of the vagueness of the original MOPH announcement re required insurance for O-A visa applicants.

Now, let's just hope the ultimate policy and regulations that end up being issued by MOPH and MFA and Immigration end up matching what's being reported here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, streetlite said:

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. My retirement stamp is similar to the one shown in the picture. What does the stamp look like for the O-retirees? Also what is the difference because we are all on extension of stays but having come in 10 years ago on an O-A we jumped through additional hoops (police check, medical, etc).

I'm puzzled.

I am suspicious of this also.  My O stamp is actually a big red stamp issued in UK but I also had to provide the police check and medical report.  O and O-A sound exactly the same to me and, until someone can tell me what the difference is, I will not believe that I, as an O, am off the hook.  Furthermore the carry forward stamps on my new passport also clearly state O.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Despite this very clear and precise information...what odds will you lay that possibly as soon as tomorrow there will be an OP asking ..."Who exactly has to get the new Health Insurance to stay in Thailand"?

isn't it good you will be able to help them.

• Haha 2

Seems to me that they wish to target tourists, not long stay residents. My visa was a Non-Imm “OA” and was stamped in my passport. Is it possible that this is different to the Non-Imm “O-A” blue labels? “OA” ... “O-A”, anything is possible here!

46 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Not to wrangle over this, but when it comes to insurance, where is the logic in differentiating between retirees on a visa and those on an extension of stay?

those of us on an extension of stay has lived in Thailand for many years and are known to pay our hospital expenses like today it cost me 7000 baht for a nose job and as usual, I had to pay the bill before I left the hospital at age 77 I have no hope of getting insurance because I am past their life limit of 75 I think it time the governments of the world should ever make the insurance companies extend the life expectancy or they start their own insurance to cover up to 100 that should do it

3 minutes ago, jimn said:

An uninformed comment I am afraid to say. As an OA visa is only granted outside Thailand, why on earth would it have to be implemented at every immigration office across the Kingdom. Best not to comment unless you fully understand or it makes you look silly.

I'm likely to get into trouble here but I will try anyway.  Firstly BigBadGeordie is stating what we all know and that is that different offices vary in their policies and how they enforce them.  As that is the case it is likely that some IOs dealing with extensions will insist that applicants have health insurance.  No basis in regulations needed.  Not yet stated anywhere but it could happen.  

• Like 2