Brexit brings down May, Johnson stakes leadership claim

rooster59

Brexit brings down May, Johnson stakes leadership claim

By Elizabeth Piper, William James and Kylie MacLellan

800x800 (4).jpg

British Prime Minister Theresa May arrives to deliver a statement in London, Britain, May 24, 2019. REUTERS/Simon Dawson

LONDON (Reuters) - Fighting back tears, Theresa May said on Friday she would quit after failing to deliver Brexit, setting up a contest that will install a new British prime minister who could pursue a cleaner break with the European Union.

May's departure deepens the Brexit crisis as a new leader, who should be in place by the end of July, is likely to want a more decisive split, raising the chances of a confrontation with the EU and potentially a snap parliamentary election.

Former foreign minister Boris Johnson, the favourite to replace May, was first out of the blocks, saying Britain should be prepared to leave the EU without a deal to force the bloc to offer a "good deal".

Current foreign minister Jeremy Hunt also confirmed he would run for the leadership just hours after May, her voice cracking with emotion, said she would resign as Conservative Party leader on Friday, June 7, setting up a contest to succeed her.

"I will shortly leave the job that has been the honour of my life to hold," May said outside her Downing Street official residence with her husband, Philip, looking on. "The second female prime minister, but certainly not the last.

"I do so with no ill will but with enormous and enduring gratitude to have had the opportunity to serve the country I love," said the usually reserved May.

May, once a reluctant supporter of EU membership who won the top job in the turmoil that followed the 2016 Brexit referendum, steps down with her central pledge - to lead the United Kingdom out of the bloc and heal its divisions - unfulfilled.

"It is, and will always remain, a matter of deep regret to me that I have not been able to deliver Brexit," May said, adding that her successor would have to find a consensus to honour the 2016 referendum result.

Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the main opposition Labour Party, said the new prime minister must hold an election to "let the people decide our country's future".

GRAPHIC: Theresa May's tenure 2ExRlQC

PM BORIS JOHNSON?

May, who endured several crises in her failed effort to find a compromise Brexit deal that parliament could ratify, bequeaths a deeply divided country and a political elite that is deadlocked over how, when or whether to leave the EU.

The latest deadline for Britain's departure is Oct. 31.

Most of the leading contenders to succeed May want a tougher divorce deal. The EU has said it will not renegotiate the Withdrawal Agreement it sealed with Britain in November.

Spain said it now seemed almost impossible to avoid a so-called hard Brexit, or clean break from the EU, and the bloc signalled there would be no change on the agreement despite European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker learning of May's resignation "without personal joy".

Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney underlined the bloc's stance that there would be no better Brexit deal.

"This idea that a new prime minister will be a tougher negotiator and will put it up to the EU and get a much better deal for Britain? That's not how the EU works," Coveney told Ireland's Newstalk radio station.

Politicians in her party and abroad paid tribute to her determination. French President Emmanuel Macron praised May's "courageous work" and U.S. President Donald Trump said he felt bad for her.

"I like her very much, she is a good woman, she worked very hard," Trump said.

Johnson, the face of the official Brexit campaign in 2016, is the favourite to succeed May, with betting markets giving him a 40% implied probability of winning the top job.

He made his pitch at an economic conference in Switzerland, appealing to Brexit-supporting Conservative Party members by saying: "We will leave the EU on Oct. 31, deal or no deal."

He said Britain could forge a "fantastic free trade relationship" with Europe after it quits the bloc but could also be a champion for global free trade.

Others tipped are Dominic Raab, a Brexit supporter and former Brexit secretary, with a 14% implied probability on his chances. Environment Secretary Michael Gove, former House of Commons leader Andrea Leadsom and Hunt each have a 7% probability, according to betting markets.

Defence Secretary Penny Mordaunt and International Development Secretary Rory Stewart each have a 4% chance of the top job while Home Secretary Sajid Javid has a 3% chance.

GRAPHIC: Brexit and positions on sterling https://tmsnrt.rs/2WW8QBb

Conservative lawmaker Graham Brady resigned as chairman of the party's 1922 Committee of backbench MPs in preparation for a potential leadership bid, the BBC said.

For many Conservative lawmakers, speed is of the essence to install a new leader to try to break the Brexit impasse.

The governing party said it would move quickly to try to end the leadership contest before parliament breaks for a summer holiday, a so-called recess which usually falls in late July.

"The fight for the heart and soul of the Conservative Party officially starts now," said Andrew Bridgen, a pro-Brexit lawmaker. "We need a new PM as soon as possible and who that is will decide the future of our democracy, our country and the Conservative Party."

Sterling swung back and forth on May's resignation, and British government bond yields edged off near-two-year lows struck first thing on Friday.

(Writing by Guy Faulconbridge and Elizabeth Piper; Additional reporting by Kate Holton and James Davey, John Revill in Interlaken; Editing by Janet Lawrence and Toby Chopra)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-25

I'm in two minds re Boris.

McVeigh, Mordant or Leadsum might surprize us but I wouldn't trust any of the blokes except perhaps Raab (but only if pushed).

There is no stand-out leader in British politics at the moment and that is what is needed.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Former foreign minister Boris Johnson, the favourite to replace May, was first out of the blocks, saying Britain should be prepared to leave the EU without a deal to force the bloc to offer a "good deal".

And he will still be waiting on November the first... If he is still PM by then, or even an MP.

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

McVeigh, Mordant or Leadsum might surprize us but I wouldn't trust any of the blokes except perhaps Raab (but only if pushed).

There is no stand-out leader in British politics at the moment and that is what is needed.

Thatcher made sure there was no one to oppose her...

Boris for me is a little bit too gung-ho with his demeanour 

and could be a bit risky as a PM.

Dominic Raab is getting a lot of mention and would be a good

level headed PM.

Don't know why, but David Davies isn't getting any media attention

but he would also be a good candidate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

I honestly don't know which way this is going to pan out but I doubt that McVey or Leadsom will be in the final two.  Deals will be done behind closed doors which we will not be privy to, I have no doubt of that.

51 minutes ago, blazes said:

He was a good mayor of London, and if he continues to be sceptical about ambulant black letter-boxes, all should be well.

Certainly his commitment to doing a no-deal Brexit (if necessary) is to be applauded.

as a Yank, i find Boris very amusing.  saw him on the tellie today, did he dye his hair green?

Edited by malibukid

16 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Why do they still hang on the this "we will make the EU renegotiate" ? Don't they understand that the negotiations are done, the EU are sick of the yak yak

I can only see this going 2 ways, either revoke article 50

and stay as members of the EU.

Or 

Leave without a deal, and then renegotiate on a level platform

with the EU for a trade deal that works both ways.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, malibukid said:

as a Yank, i find Boris very amusing.  saw him on the tellie today, did he dye his hair green?

Boris is amusing, he's the likeable pub drunk who gives everyone a good laugh now and then.  Leader of the country though?  In these bizarre times, anything is possible.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Johnson, the face of the official Brexit campaign in 2016, is the favourite to succeed May, with betting markets giving him a 40% implied probability of winning the top job.

This is the story of two buddies. They met when they were young. Drinking, whoring, Studying that was their Life, spending family's money at one of the best school in this country. 

After having finished university the one became Prime Minister, the other Mayor of London, because only one of two could get the Top Job. OK, you first, said Boris. When his friend quit his Job, with a tune on his lips, Boris started his way to follow his friend's Job. And now he knocks at number 10.

"I'm here now to take over that lousy job"

Two buddies both succeeded as PM. 

And the public? 

Believed them both. 

It's just a Job, nothing else. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

This is the story of two buddies. They met when they were young. Drinking, whoring, Studying that was their Life, spending family's money at one of the best school in this country. 

After having finished university the one became Prime Minister, the other Mayor of London, because only one of two could get the Top Job. OK, you first, said Boris. When his friend quit his Job, with a tune on his lips, Boris started his way to follow his friend's Job. And now he knocks at number 10.

And the public? 

Believed them both. 

You forgot to mention Boris stabbing Cameron in the back in order to get the job and then running away and hiding behind the patsy May until it was safe to come out again and make his move.  So if people want a coward and a back stabbing liar as PM then vote for Boris!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

And the public? 

Believed them both. 

Are you talking Cameron or Abhisit?

6 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

You forgot to mention Boris stabbing Cameron in the back in order to get the job and then running away and hiding behind the patsy May until it was safe to come out again and make his move.  So if people want a coward and a back stabbing liar as PM then vote for Boris!

Sure, but it's just a rivalty and game between those guys. Nothing serious. More a sham and shame business 

19 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Boris is amusing, he's the likeable pub drunk who gives everyone a good laugh now and then.  Leader of the country though?  In these bizarre times, anything is possible.

Amber Rudd and more surprisingly Phillip Hammond are backing him. Not sure about our favourite Dominic Raab though.

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Compromise? Give the people what they voted for and won. Brexit. No one could've blamed May if she'd acted on the wishes of the people. However, she tried to compromise and look where it got her.

What exactly did the people vote for? Brexit = Leaving the EU, that's about it. And then?

The EU and UK are neighbors and that won't change. People will travel between the countries. Goods will be sold and bought - at lot of them. All this needs some kind of regulations.

I.e. If a UK citizen wants to make holiday in Spain, what will be the necessary documents? Will that UK citizen be treated exactly like someone from Timbuktu? Or should he have special rights? What will happen if that UK citizen needs hospital treatment in the EU? Who pays? Does the patient have to pay up front?

These are just some minor issues. I am sure there are many thousand small issues like this. With the EU they are regulated. With May's withdrawal agreement they are regulated. And without agreement many issues are not regulated. I guess that means if a UK or a Timbuktu citizen needs medical treatment within the EU then they better pay cash up front.

Above is obviously just an example but you should get the idea: There is no such thing as just leave. It shouldn't be too difficult to understand that it's not that easy.

• Haha 1