I now hate cows.

Saltire

We have a local cow lady.... She seems to think that any plot, within 2km radius of her house, is valid grazing rights for her beasts !!

Our plot, which we are trying to landscape and cultivate new shade trees, is within this target zone. As we are not there on a permanent basis, it's difficult to stop her letting the beast free range...

Our village headman says keep her cows if they stray on our land ???? He's a funny guy....

Basically, nothing gets done about it.. So I might have to investigate an electric fence, preferably mains powered !!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

We have a local cow lady.... She seems to think that any plot, within 2km radius of her house, is valid grazing rights for her beasts !!

Our plot, which we are trying to landscape and cultivate new shade trees, is within this target zone. As we are not there on a permanent basis, it's difficult to stop her letting the beast free range...

Our village headman says keep her cows if they stray on our land ???? He's a funny guy....

Basically, nothing gets done about it.. So I might have to investigate an electric fence, preferably mains powered !!

Electric fence good idea, i have 1, touch it you get a sharp tingling nothing more.

It will stop any livestock, not expensive, i bought mine in Global house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Electric fence good idea, i have 1, touch it you get a sharp tingling nothing more.

It will stop any livestock, not expensive, i bought mine in Global house.

I didn't realise Globalhouse sold livestock?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Are there livestock laws for prohibiting keeping them in populated areas?

Yes, there are. Go to your local government administration. Chickens and pigs are also not allowed. The fact that none of the villagers give a <deleted> is neither here nor there. Get your wife to go see the. Good luck.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Are there livestock laws for prohibiting keeping them in populated areas?

lol  .....  good joke.  Everyone has a cow or a couple of buffalo, and yes they shit and they stink and they moo sometimes,  but hey !!  that's the village life .....

buy some spray bottles and put lavender in it and spray around abit when the smell comes.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Yes, there are. Go to your local government administration. Chickens and pigs are also not allowed. The fact that none of the villagers give a <deleted> is neither here nor there. Get your wife to go see the. Good luck.

Not quite correct,  commercial farms yes, less than 10 pigs ok, chickens also handful around ok, large flocks not allowed.

• Like 1

I should add this village is a compact area with houses, a sizeable school, convenience stores etc. I'd say it's relatively affluent. Almost all the Thai have large swathes of land surrounding the village, many have cattle, rubber plantations, pineapples you name it, but this is the first time anyone has kept cows in their garden.

13 minutes ago, poohy said:

My house is surrounded on 3 sides by fields containing aforesaid beasts... apart from them farting at night and snuffling around waking up my dogs no real problems.

Certainly more pleasant than some of the local populace!

Ps as a city boy i thought birds went to sleep at nights ...not here what a racket, as for blooming frogs absolute bedlam

How can you here them farting at night, above the noise of your own farts.:cheesy:????

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

How can you here them farting at night, above the noise of your own farts.:cheesy:????

Mine are silent but deadly! ask the Mrs! (mine, i dont think yours knows me that well!)

Edited by poohy
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

It's his GF, not his wife, and it is indeed up to her, and the other Thais to sort this. Hopefully the OP knows that interfering himself is not a good idea. Of course, there are ways of removing the problem, but don't tell anyone, or everyone will know.

I notice the OP refers to his "new house". I trust he didn't actually pay for that himself, believing that nothing would ever change to turn paradise into a living hell. Many Thais discover that when a rock grinding plant or an all night disco starts up next door.

This story has been told many, many times in LOS- no wonder the Thais don't smile anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unless Thai cows are different, I don't understand that. I worked a couple of years on dairy farms and never found them to stink, or fart loudly enough to be heard in the house.

BTW, I don't think it's farting- more likely belching, which is apparently how they get rid of the gas resulting from digestion of grass, though that may just be sheep. I'm not sure.

How come you had a herd in the house - were they house trained?

(sorry!)

• Haha 2