Pattaya is dead now

dreaming

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just left thailand through don Mueang , afternoon flight . I was the only Caucasian in the entire airport. Airport was busy with chinese , but nowhere near as busy as 3 or 6 months ago.About half the usual.

Tax refund massive queue , I was number 173, was going to give up but thankfully line moved fast. All I saw was chinese with 150-250 baht refunds. So that’s about 5000 baht worth of goods, hardly big spenders as many like to claim.

they all seemed to know each other , which can only mean most were part of a group or groups.

funny enough all thai staff spoke Chinese. 

3 hours ago, BestB said:

I just left thailand through don Mueang , afternoon flight . I was the only Caucasian in the entire airport. Airport was busy with chinese , but nowhere near as busy as 3 or 6 months ago.About half the usual.

Tax refund massive queue , I was number 173, was going to give up but thankfully line moved fast. All I saw was chinese with 150-250 baht refunds. So that’s about 5000 baht worth of goods, hardly big spenders as many like to claim.

they all seemed to know each other , which can only mean most were part of a group or groups.

Nothing funny about Thais speaking Chinese; it is meeting the demand of the market. Adapt or die.

13 minutes ago, champers said:

Nothing funny about Thais speaking Chinese; it is meeting the demand of the market. Adapt or die.

It was funny as they seemed to speak better chinese than English 

On 6/5/2019 at 9:04 AM, champers said:

To find a wife, young men are travelling outside their countries to find one, or letting young foreign females into the country, mostly from SE Asia.

Or just kidknapping them to be brought to the rural farm areas where they can never get  free from.

12 hours ago, BestB said:

What a ridiculous way to judge if Pattaya is dead or not.  Even the busiest airports in the world have slow times.

I was in Suvarnabhumi recently and it was packed to the gills.

As far as your tax refund queue...

You were #173?  So, if you can do the math at your 5000 b number that is approx. 850, 000 b.  And, that is just in the hour or so you waited.

Multiply it out and that is millions; maybe 10's of millions of baht just in one day.

You really need to please, think outside the box. Your one hour or so observation in the smaller airport in Bangkok is not indicative of what is going on here.....

Hope you had a good flight.

50 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

What a ridiculous way to judge if Pattaya is dead or not.  Even the busiest airports in the world have slow times.

I was in Suvarnabhumi recently and it was packed to the gills.

As far as your tax refund queue...

You were #173?  So, if you can do the math at your 5000 b number that is approx. 850, 000 b.  And, that is just in the hour or so you waited.

Multiply it out and that is millions; maybe 10's of millions of baht just in one day.

You really need to please, think outside the box. Your one hour or so observation in the smaller airport in Bangkok is not indicative of what is going on here.....

Hope you had a good flight.

There is always one who feels the need to troll and be superior .

firstly there was no judgement , secondly my tax refund was 750 and since you so good at maths it means I spent 3 times more than anyone else before me, which then means need only 1 of me for every 3 chinese.

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

firstly there was no judgement , secondly my tax refund was 750 and since you so good at maths it means I spent 3 times more than anyone else before me, which then means need only 1 of me for every 3 chinese.

How did you view the refund of all 173 people before you ?

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:33 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Wrong title. Should be "Soi Buakhao is dead now", but Pattaya is booming, thanks to real tourists, not sex tourists. :cool:

"Real tourists" that only came to walk down Walking Street, eat seafood on Larn and wander aimlessly around the traffic dangerous streets.

Other than a few attractions ( Temple of Truth, Nong Nooch etc etc ), Pattaya is a <deleted><deleted> and only good for hookers and zero baht tourists.

It's certainly no good for low budget mongers now, as all the once cheap hotels now call themselves "boutique" and jack the price up 100%.

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Other than a few attractions ( Temple of Truth, Nong Nooch etc etc ), Pattaya is a <deleted><deleted> and only good for hookers and zero baht tourists.

A few attractions? :ohmy: I would bet there must be at least 50 attractions made-for-tourists in the Pattaya area, and new ones added all the time.

One of last one may be "Citta di Como" (aka "fake "Italy") at Silverlake, targeting tourists who came to see Khao Chi Chan (aka Buddha Mountain), and any shop there could tell you that tourists - mainly Chinese - have money to spend :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Haha.

No, it is called common sense.

Talk about feeling superior?

You: only need one of me for every 3 Chinese.. wow.

Geez man, what are you talking about??

Pattaya doesn't seem to realize that it's been declared dead again. Traffic absolutely horrendous yesterday, lots of people walking around everywhere, bars on Soi Buakhao and Beach Rd. well attended.

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Haha.

No, it is called common sense.

Talk about feeling superior?

You: only need one of me for every 3 Chinese.. wow.

Geez man, what are you talking about??

Anything coming out of your mouth is anything but common sense , hardly surprising to read yet another troll response 

13 hours ago, Don Mega said:

How did you view the refund of all 173 people before you ?

All coming out through a narrow corridor holding money and refund slips . Not much else to do but watch and listen to the screaming . 

13 hours ago, BestB said:

You run a hotel and have a work permit isn't it? I thought tax refunds were only for tourist visas

On 6/8/2019 at 6:42 PM, BestB said:

All I saw was chinese with 150-250 baht refunds. So that’s about 5000 baht worth of goods,

5000 baht worth of goods would be about 330 baht tax refund and 5000 baht is the minimum for a vat refund. Also people staying in the country more than 180 days per calendar year can not get vat refund. So again how as a hotelier with work permit did you qualify for a vat refund? I love the smell of a troll late at night

3 hours ago, BestB said:

All coming out through a narrow corridor holding money and refund slips . Not much else to do but watch and listen to the screaming . 

good to hear you are fluent in mandarin and they held the money up so you could count it otherwise some might think you are telling porky pies.

But the jet ski scams are dead aren't there? Haven't seen a thread on that perennial favourite for ages. 
Two of the fatties who used to do them are still hanging about opposite mike shopping mall so my guess is they are just biding their time

35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:
But the jet ski scams are dead aren't there? Haven't seen a thread on that perennial favourite for ages. 

Two of the fatties who used to do them are still hanging about opposite mike shopping mall so my guess is they are just biding their time

They must be extremely patient because it has been about 4 years since the jetski scams finished  ....  unless you can prove differently.

23 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

A few attractions? :ohmy: I would bet there must be at least 50 attractions made-for-tourists in the Pattaya area, and new ones added all the time.

One of last one may be "Citta di Como" (aka "fake "Italy") at Silverlake, targeting tourists who came to see Khao Chi Chan (aka Buddha Mountain), and any shop there could tell you that tourists - mainly Chinese - have money to spend :thumbsup:

OK, if you don't accept that my "few" encompassed all the tourist attractions in Pattaya I'll reword it to many, but the city itself is still a <deleted><deleted>.

Mind you, I used to like that as it kept the families away, but since the night life went downhill, it's irrelevant now, as there is nothing to make me go back there anymore.

I knew it was the end of an era when Malibu cabaret closed for good.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
5 hours ago, champers said:
They must be extremely patient because it has been about 4 years since the jetski scams finished  ....  unless you can prove differently.

Can you prove its 4 years? seems like more recent, more like 2 years

How can I possibly do that? Can anyone can show me a thread or an article about jetski scams happening in Pattaya in the last 4 years? I say "No".

On 6/9/2019 at 2:15 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

"Real tourists" that only came to walk down Walking Street, eat seafood on Larn and wander aimlessly around the traffic dangerous streets.

It's certainly no good for low budget mongers now, as all the once cheap hotels now call themselves "boutique" and jack the price up 100%.

they tried getting lairy in spain 30 years ago silly prices for drinks,and generally taking the piss,and caught a right cold.same as thailand,its not good value anymore and theres a lot of cheaper,better places to go to,used to come to pattaya for 5 weeks,now i still come for 5 weeks but only spend about 8 days in thailand 4 in pattaya,4 in hua hin.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:10 AM, champers said:

How can I possibly do that? Can anyone can show me a thread or an article about jetski scams happening in Pattaya in the last 4 years? I say "No".

Worldwide publicity around 4 or 5 years ago does seem to have knocked this on the head - even embassies were warning about it. Nowadays, the high level of negative coverage from a few years ago means that if someone's ripped off after renting a jetski, all they need to do is go to social media and the press and it'll be all over the news. So this is one scam that looks like it's been quashed - not because of any good intentions of the authorities, but because good old fashioned loss of face forced it. 

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Worldwide publicity around 4 or 5 years ago does seem to have knocked this on the head - even embassies were warning about it. Nowadays, the high level of negative coverage from a few years ago means that if someone's ripped off after renting a jetski, all they need to do is go to social media and the press and it'll be all over the news. So this is one scam that looks like it's been quashed - not because of any good intentions of the authorities, but because good old fashioned loss of face forced it. 

The military regime actually put a stop to it, insisting all jetski operators had insurance. In the event of any damage caused to a jetski, the most anyone will have to pay is about 4000 Baht for the excess.

Place is dying a death amongst traditional foreign visitors for sure but the Koreans Japanese and Chinese are flocking in ever greater numbers and spending money

Great swathes of empty closed bars and clubs already are everywhere with December a long way off before even a few of the tradional visitors return with these exchange rates at savage levels

Archived