can the pound hold 39bt

17 hours ago, Jajazazajaja said:

I don’t care how the euro does. I don’t get any comfort from the fact Brexit is harming the EU as well as the UK

Well, as you obviously care about the EU then not caring about the Euro doesn't make much sense to me. 

• Confused 1

On 7/3/2019 at 12:32 AM, Benroon said:

Currency predictions is a technical science which companies, governments and pension providers use on a regular basis derived from millions of pounds worth of scientific analytical software. 

Currency prediction may be a  technical science but getting it right is still elusive.

19 hours ago, SheungWan said:

It makes a difference if an individual has taken or intends taking a significant currency position as a result of forwards projection. Even doing nothing ie sitting on sterling is a position. Three years of net decline since the referendum.

Agree if I see your point correctly the situation for me was before I retired here research on baht to £ was looking at past history I did not come here expecting it to stay at any kind of benefit so I calculated my future frozen pensions in 2004 at 35 = bht.  2005 getting all my money from UK except for what was left in bonds at 75 made think I should believe in Jesus ???? but I know I was just lucky. Anyway I still took a hit in 2008 where my private pensions took a hit but never mind life ain't fair sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

As soon as one commits to a predominantly expat life, then one is exposed to currency risk. Most/many made a judgement call that the downside risk was to the baht only. It has been a slow and not so slow realisation that it just hasn't been the case even though the wishes continue to hope for a baht reversal. The exposure continues but the reality is that it is that Sterling is the weakening currency. Notwithstanding the strange Brexiteer mantra that losing money is somehow patriotic, the decision what to do remains looking forwards. 

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Good going until the ridiculous 'mantra' comment. Oh well.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Its odd, but the Conspiracy Theorists never quite manage to project any dates and figures to match up their ideas.

A bit like some of the so called "moderates" on the other side,  who were in complete denial of the upcomming 2007 year financial crash. You are so right.

[quote post="14312343" But the Bank of Thailand is limited in what it can do on it's own.

The BoT has a as any national/central a bunch of possibilities to influence their currency.

- cut interest rates
- buy foreign currencies/sell THB
- buy foreign bonds
- restrict foreign currency inflows

But all this would make the Thai elite poorer, so not in their books.

Time for a new George Soros.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And Thailand changing the value of the Thai baht on world markets may be construed as currency manipulation.

A bit like some of the so called "moderates" on the other side,  who were in complete denial of the upcomming 2007 year financial crash. You are so right.
The crash was Q4 in 2008 through Q1 2009. That does not give a free pass to Conspiracy Theory junk which is detached from any data or understanding. The interesting factor now is although the central banks have done a pretty good job to date in recovering from the crisis, now the populists want to wreck it and the Brexiteers are leading the charge on Sterling. Why hold Sterling is the question.

• Haha 1

And Thailand changing the value of the Thai baht on world markets may be construed as currency manipulation.

During the Asian Financial Crisis, the Thai central bank and indeed nearly all of the other Asian currencies were shown to have limited fire power to direct currency defence.

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

Now just over 38 baht to the pound.

Not for long ,  35 bht @ a bank near you , sooner than expected.

Xmas wont be merry for us expats. No Santa this year kids, thx brexit brigade ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, elliss said:

Not for long ,  35 bht @ a bank near you , sooner than expected.

Xmas wont be merry for us expats. No Santa this year kids, thx brexit brigade ..

Well yer can still get 39 to the Pound at a couple of Money Exchanges in Bangers......

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Well yer can still get 39 to the Pound at a couple of Money Exchanges in Bangers......

Nong kai - Bangers ,   not cost effective .

Thx , for your valid info..

Edited by elliss

It's still going down - but can you expect anything else with the current shambles in the UK government ?

CBRafEN.png&key=fc0e438c7588e48a5885074a8dd8588e83b58c5ff0e8172fd5e71a36785583ec
The US figures this week were very positive, thus reducing the chance of an interest rate cut. Why hold Sterling with the no-deal uncertainty hanging over it? Explains why Boris is having to make noises about wanting a deal. Nobody convinced by tchat story for now.

Yes they were out in force, claiming that Sterling was over-valued anyway. And this is just an adjustment to its true value. 

One guy said the fishing industry accounted for 15% of GDP before the common market ruined it. 

Another said he wanted them NHS privatised As they are all just a bunch of remainers anyway 

20 minutes ago, Jajazazajaja said:

Yes they were out in force, claiming that Sterling was over-valued anyway. And this is just an adjustment to its true value. 

One guy said the fishing industry accounted for 15% of GDP before the common market ruined it. 

Another said he wanted them NHS privatised As they are all just a bunch of remainers anyway 

I'd like to listen too. Which bar was this?

Edited by nauseus
  • Haha 1

On 6/3/2019 at 9:38 PM, kickstart said:

Or the Thai baht goes pear-shaped, the way this government s spending money it is not sustainable, ask any Thai they say the Thai economy is not good, and Thai borrowing again is not sustainable, another 1997 coming up. 

Lets hope so.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jajazazajaja said:

15 percent my backside,adjustment my Backside,trump And garage running the NHS,OMG good look for all you Englanders unfortunate enough To have to live there.

• Confused 1

Just now, bomber said:

15 percent my backside,adjustment my Backside,trump And garage running the NHS,OMG good look for all you Englanders unfortunate enough To have to live there.

Englanders. Long time since I heard that one.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bomber said:

Englanders clutching at the straws hoping others come a cropper,oh the joys of brexit

I moved to Portugal , where is the place that I can get 3 euros to the Pound ?

The place that you told me about that gives 3 Euros to the Pound  ?

• Like 1