Correcting half-fake news: immigration

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Same question as wgdanson, which consulate? 

I can guarantee it is not the French consulate where requirements, as of today, are:

- proof of income or enough funds on bank book

- proof of address in France (invitation letter from a French resident) 

- health insurance covering specified amounts

- proof of plane ticket booking

- about 100 euros for the visa

- a truckload of paperwork, including ID photos which must be taken in a very specific way (3 pages of examples to show the applicants what is required) 

- an appointment that must be taken weeks in advance, in order to make the application

- no way that you can get the passport with the visa back the next day... the next week if you are lucky... 

But at least the French process it themselves! 

They haven't been conned by VFS yet.

41 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Does the UK allow people to obtain a 1 year visa and then nip out monthly and come back for ever? Or any other developed country?

I don't know, but I can stay as long as I like in all the Euro countries with no VISA at all.

And most people from anywhere in the world who manage to enter there and stay 5 years get citizenship.

There certainly seem to be plenty of Thais staying there forever.

Edited by BritManToo

Thank you Mr. Immigration Officer on your opinion of how great immigration is, and how easy it is to obtain one year Thai visa extensions.  However, up until this year we were able to show our monthly income or sufficient funds to qualify for a one year visa  extension going into a western bank.    

That has all changed now with the new requirement of depositing 800,000 baht into a Thai bank or being forced to deposit 65,000 baht into a Thai bank monthly.  For some unknown reason, many of the western embassies have turned their backs on their retirees making it easier for the Thai government to implement their diabolical plan of enriching the coffers of the Thai banks. This is a major change for you who are paying attention.

As far as obtaining a ten year US tourists visa for my Thai wife or visas to visit any number of European countries, it is very easy.  None of these countries have 90 day checkins or TM forms to fill out for all of our movements.  Even communist China doesn't do this.  This is worth repeating in case some of you have reading comprehension problems.  Communist China does not have a 90 day checkin requirement or TM forms they use on foreigners.  This should be an eye opener for you western retirees.

Many of us have health insurance from our previous careers in the US, that is good all over the world.  I suspect the Thai health insurance scam to be the next hurdle immigration will implement.  Immigration has been quiet on all the one year extensions they have been rejecting and the western retirees leaving Thailand monthly.  I'm not certain what their ultimate plan is but it doesn't include more western retirees moving to Thailand.

In case you have missed this, Thailand is no longer referred to as the "Land of Smiles."     

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 10:46 AM, mosan said:

@Brunolem  I'm just going to jump in and say you're right.  I've been here since 2000 also and the number of foreigners here are staggering.  I could visit immigrations any time and would be surprised to see another one or two foreigners between then and probably up to about 2010. Same when I visited Tesco or Big-C (out here in the boonies of course).  Ubon Ratchathani was still the boonies at least up until 2010.  Now, I pass foreigners on my daily travels at least every 15 minutes or so.  Anybody who has been here any length of time and says otherwise is just flat out lying (or they are blind/deaf).  I now plan my trips to immigrations--early and way before my due dates--while avoiding days around weekends and holidays.  Those who cannot see or haven't been here long have not figured this out yet--can tell by their posts--late this, crowded that, I didn't know, takes way too long to do, etc., etc., etc.

Don't try to defend yourself against the ill-informed.  As one famous poster on ThaiVISA says, They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with (no) experience... 

I agree i think Brunolem was spot on with his observations, i have been her since the late 90s and have used immigration offices all over the country and services in nearly all adjoining countries. There are far more expats here now and far more from continents other than Europe. I wonder what the people from the EU countries (including the UK) would think of the Thailand immigration rules if the same rules had been applied years ago in their countries?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I'm sorry, didn't read all the way down but I agree 100% with what I did read and have posted on it a few times.

This might interest you...I am what you might call a "loner"...had to give up the booze 20 years ago so don't have friends like I did before then... However, I did meet two guys in a coffee shop and we go to talking..and the subject turned to how it was now almost impossible for the Farang to stay in Thailand and how they were trying to drive us out...I said exactly the same point you have made above...and they had to hold themselves back from devouring me for not being of the "knocking" class they were expecting me to be. It was almost like they considered it "sacrelegious"...when I said nothing had changed for me in the 19 years that I have lived here. They almost called me a complete out and out liar...so vehemently...that I began to almost doubt myself....So, to cut to the chase ..when they "discovered" that I had been doing it the legitimate way (not using agents)...the whole scenario changed. They started to look at me as if I was some class of dollar millionere trying to pass myself off as one of the boys, like themselves.

They were obviously using agents and backroom lawyers and whatever else they learned in the pubs to stay in Thailand....I honestly don't think it ever occured to them that not all people are doing it that way like themselves.

I was lucky to get away from them in one piece when one of them asked me .."if they arn't trying to push us out, why then have the brought out all these new rules and regulations"..

and I replied....."to get rid of all the agents and the illegals"....

I decided after that...being a "recluse" ain't so bad after all.

There are two kinds of expats in Thailand, those who talk about visas all the time, and those who never talk about it. 

I am only half joking... in my first year in Pattaya, I was spending (too much) time in farang territory, such as soi Post Office or soi Yamato... there, farangs were talking visa all day long, and that was 20 years ago! 

The more things change... 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 9:21 AM, Brunolem said:

In short, visa issues appear to multiply not because the rules and requirements are changing all the time.....

Really!  Rules and requirements change almost on a daily basis, with no 2 immigration offices reading from the same book!  Perhaps, if all immigration offices adhered to the rules, there wouldn't be such a negative outlook from the expat population.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

For some unknown reason, many of the western embassies have turned their backs on their retirees making it easier for the Thai government to implement their diabolical plan of enriching the coffers of the Thai banks. This is a major change for you who are paying attention.

Even communist China doesn't do this.  This is worth repeating in case some of you have reading comprehension problems.  Communist China does not have a 90 day checkin requirement or TM forms they use on foreigners.  This should be an eye opener for you western retirees.

The "unknown" reason is in fact wellknown: Western governments are not happy to see their retirees spending their money abroad, and some are doing their best to make their lives difficult. 

Almost all Western pension funds are one step away from bankruptcy, and the states are not far behind... 

The latter would rather collect all they can from their retirees, taxes included (*), rather than sending them money to stay on a tropical beach, without contributing to the great social(ist) experiment. 

(*) only Americans are subjected to pay income taxes to the motherland, wherever in the world they try to hide

As far as communist China is concerned, maybe the reason why the country doesn't ask for 90 day reports is that... no foreigner is insane enough to retire in China! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

Really!  Rules and requirements change almost on a daily basis, with no 2 immigration offices reading from the same book!  Perhaps, if all immigration offices adhered to the rules, there wouldn't be such a negative outlook from the expat population.

Which rules and requirements are changing on a daily basis, exactly? 

Yes, it is true that rules are interpreted differently from one office to another, even worse, from one officer to another. 

But this administrative confusion is not something specific to Thailand. 

In Europe, which is more focused on taxes than on visas, things are similar: the rules are so complicated and the books so thick that a lot is left to interpretation, with the citizens being the victims more often than not. 

At least in Thailand we are not bothered with taxes... one can't have everything, each country has its weak point... 

The OP claims costs are not rising.

Previously, one had to have 800K baht in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to retirement extension renewal. Now, it is 800K for 5 months, and 400K for the balance of the year. Held in accounts where one gets about 1.5% return if they are lucky.

Without those new requirements, I could be getting between 5 and 10 percent return for 9 months of the year in Australia, depending on how much risk I want to take.

It's called an opportunity cost. The OP has obviously failed to see it.

On 6/6/2019 at 1:17 PM, Thaidream said:

1.  Your claim that nothing has changed as far as  costs involved for Immigration is incorrect-  While the bottom line of 800K has not changed the  method of proof has added costs.  

One must keep the 800K in a Thai bank for 5 months instead of 2 and then leave 400K untouched the full 12 months.  That means instead of being able to use one's own funds to live on- one must bring in another sum to actually pay the rent; food etc.   If you use  65K as the monthly minimum that is 5 months x 65 for an additional 325K.   Looks like an increase to me.

In regards to the 65K each month income method- if one transfers the funds from abroad-there are fees associated with this; there are visits to update the bank book each month and there will be visits to the bank to secure bank letters and get the bank to generate a proper letter.  All in all with transfers and bank visits you can add on another $500 per year. I simply go to an ATM when I need funds and withdraw it from my bank abroad- Only charge 220 Baht.

2.  As far as huge numbers of people now visiting Savanakhet for a Visa- I would say this is due to the changes in the Immigration methodology in that those who are retired or married now seek  the multiple Non O instead of  going to the Immigration Office.  In addition- the appointment system at Vientienne is now cumbersome and not  user friendly.   

The added numbers one sees at the consulates in the regions have more to do with a crackdown on  Exempt entries; appointment systems restricting numbers and people opting for multiple entry Visas- it is not reflective of added foreigners in Thailand/

3  Are there more foreigners in Thailand now then ever before?  It all depends how you count.  There are definitely more Western and Asian foreigners in Thailand now than when I first arrived in 1971.

However, over the last 5-10 years- the numbers of Westerners-both long stay and tourists are decreasing yearly.  Reasons being  currencies depreciating; rising costs of Thailand; traffic; pollution etc.  It is obvious when one goes to the main Immigration Office at Chaeng Wattana and take note of who is in the immigration Hall.  I have done at least 30 extensions there over several decades.  

Even 10 years ago the number of Westerners in the Hall were 80% as opposed to other Nationalities.   It has been noticeable year after year the change in who is there- Now, I would say that Westerners amount for 20% of those there and the other 80% are Asians and Middle easterners.  In actuality- TAT figures show there is not any Western tourists in the top 10 visitors to Thailand except Russia.

As far as other Immigration offices- Just yesterday- I was at Jomtien to do my extension as I moved a year ago.  the Immigration Hall is small and was busy but for long term extensions- 2 ahead of me.   On other occasions when I have done 90 day reports in and out in 5-10 minutes.  

4.  Medical Insurance- most everyone wnts it but not everyone wants to pay almost 100K to get 400K of coverage and 40K of out patient coverage. The ratio of cost to benefit is worthless since a catastrophic illness will cost much more than 400K.

The solution for long stayers is to be brought into the Thai Social Security system at a reasonable monthly cost so treatment is available  at Thai Government Hospitals and Private hospitals that want to participate.  As far as quality- most Thai doctors work in the Government Hospitals as well as the Private ones.

5.  While there will always be a certain number of Westerners who still come to Thailand as tourists and long stayers- their numbers are in decline for all the reasons stated.  You can also include aging westerners in those declining since as they age- they will at some point expire.

Who is replacing declining Westerners is Chinese and Indian tourists in large numbers.  Again- they eye test-  go to Bangkok and check into any mid level Hotel and you will see large groups of Asean visitors; Chinese; Indians; Arabs etc.  You will see few Western tourists in comparison.

Whether Thailand is a great place to stay; visit or remain lies in the eyes of each person.  IMHO there are now some negatives compared to when I first came decades ago.  In addition, with the advent of social media and the internet- other choices and comparisons are easy.  

At the same time, Thailand has decided it really does not want anyone living in Thailand on tourist visas or exempt entries as evidenced by the refusal of entry at airports and the red/blue notices on passports. This along with the changes in the methodology of long stay extensions will continue to decrease the numbers of  all Westerners for the future and  many foreigners who would have in the past retired in Thailand will not because they feel the welcome mat has been pulled.

This is exactly what Thailand wants- decreased long stayers and increased  numbers of  short stay tourists.

i would like to add that Thailand is not America.  it does not welcome foreigners to live in it's country like America does.  just come and spend, and  leave a check at the door. of course i was not aware of this and only becomes apparent once you spend time in-country like so many other things.  it will never develop into a fully pluralistic  country like a modern Western nation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ExpatDraco said:
On 6/6/2019 at 9:54 AM, BritManToo said:
Immigration are on a deliberate 'go-slow' to force people to use agents.
Anyway I'm putting you on ignore now, in reality nobody can be this stupid, so you must be some sort of troll.

You must have the biggest ignore list on TV.

Well, I don't think he suffers fools gladly.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 9:45 AM, WalkingOrders said:

Well said. Only here for a tad over 3 years, but I agree with you. Thailand is a great place. If I didnt think so, I would leave. Just like that.

Different people have different standards. Different people have different interpretations of what is great. I'm happy that you're happy. I can think of many places that are greater, for countless reasons.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

It would be nice for Immigration to release figures of how many expats are on retirement visas in LOS.

Immigration posts various workload statistics on their website, but only in Thai. According to their spreadsheets, they approved 79,107 retirement extensions in calendar year 2018. This figure wouldn't include retirees on OA or O visas who had not yet sought extensions, but it's as close as you're likely to get to the statistic you're looking for.

ขออยู่ต่อ ปี พ.ศ. 2561.xlsx

On 6/6/2019 at 9:54 AM, BritManToo said:

Immigration are on a deliberate 'go-slow' to force people to use agents.

Anyway I'm putting you on ignore now, in reality nobody can be this stupid, so you must be some sort of troll.

Ridiculous comment.

• Like 2

The French consulate doesn't make a difference according to the personal situation of each applicant. 

In the form, which I have completed, this situation (married, not married or else) is not mentioned. 

Having said that, you are not saying where your "no questions, no hassles" application was made... which Schengen country???

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/documents/66002/17041315/cerfa_14076-02+COURT+SEJOUR.pdf/23f30977-8625-bfb8-0cce-ba15288c7738

Read the asterisk disclaimer too.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/6/2019 at 11:37 AM, ParadiseLost said:

Many posers here, quick to jump to a misunderstanding.

Vientiane introduced an appointment system, now fully booked two months in advance. Ask yourself why they would do so, as the selling of visas is their only/main source of revenue? Could it perhaps be sheer volume? Penang had to do the same a few years back...

Social media has once again led to the detriment of the human race - everyone thinks it is easy to live in Thailand, work illegally, because they read it on farcebook and watch 'educational' youtube vids, forgetting that people are paid advertisement fees based on number of suckers that watch their bullshit.

But every new generation considers themselves enlightened, ready to argue about things they know very little. As the OP states he (and I) has lived here 15 years and the cost of doing business with immigration has not risen.

Subscribing to the conspiracy theory that immigration is pushing people to agents is really laughable, but I guess they give up with some dimwits who cannot manage a really simple process, compared to the impenetrable fortresses of EU, UK and of course USA. Even a little upstart country like Australia has much more heinous visa restrictions and costs.

I will accept the heinous visa restrictions and costs but not that Australia is a little upstart country.

So close to the recent remembrance of the D Day landings as well , in which a then “ littler”  Aus more than pulled its weight.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Previously, one had to have 800K baht in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to retirement extension renewal. Now, it is 800K for 5 months, and 400K for the balance of the year. Held in accounts where one gets about 1.5% return if they are lucky.

Without those new requirements, I could be getting between 5 and 10 percent return for 9 months of the year in Australia, depending on how much risk I want to take.

Missed opportunities are not considered as part of a cost, otherwise one could say the same for everything: why spend on rent and not instead sleep under a tent and put the money in the financial market casino? Why not eat only white rice and keep the food budget for the same casino (where everyone wins, all the time, until... they don't...). 

• Sad 1

I can't dispute the comments or the stats others are throwing out. I've not been to any office in Thailand but Pattaya. I have no idea or stats as to why people are there but what I do know is from Soi 8 to the current location the place is still too small so that being said unconfirmed by any stats the place is usually packed to the rim at least the last 13 years I've been doing my Extension.

Without any stats, if you are observant and organized can pretty much figure the best time to go and get out without a problem. As for the prices, it still the same especially the extension and multi-entry I'm not surprised it hasn't been raised since they are doing a volume business it would be stupid.  

As for visa especially tourist to the U.S. I can attest the chances are nearly slim and none to get one although it is possible. 

As for insurance, I think everyone should but the system here forces many to go without especially when you get to be my age 67, the coverage now is reduced while the premium is 3 or 4 times and any pre-existing condition isn't covered. What is being offered is basically a form of blackmail as far as I'm concerned!

Edited by thailand49

22 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

The OP seems quite happy with being told what to do with his own money, if he's on an extension. Now you just have to keep at least 400k tied up until you leave or die, not something to brush off as no changes

May I suggest that if the sum of 400k baht is such a cause of consternation for some people then perhaps they should review their fantasy of retiring in SE Asia.  Or to put it bluntly they cannot afford to live in Thailand. Forget the " I don't trust Thai banks or I prefer to keep my wealth offshore' nonsense , they are broke and don't want to lose face on this forum. If they are wealthy 400k is a piddling amount.

Cue the "another member of the if you don't like it go home brigade" accusations. I'm used to it from certain posters. Water of a ducks back.

Sometimes you have to cut through the nonsense and say it like it is even if it does irritate some people.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

You must give me the address of your optician, I want some of those rose coloured specs that you wear.

When I arrived here in early 2007 there were no TM30s to worry about. Because these have to be done within 24 hours of arriving back, I should imagine that adds quite a few to the queues every day. Also people switching from retirement to marriage extension must add to the backlog, in view of the time it takes to process the ME. 

Edited by jesimps
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

May I suggest that if the sum of 400k baht is such a cause of consternation for some people then perhaps they should review their fantasy of retiring in SE Asia.  Or to put it bluntly they cannot afford to live in Thailand. Forget the " I don't trust Thai banks or I prefer to keep my wealth offshore' nonsense , they are broke and don't want to lose face on this forum. If they are wealthy 400k is a piddling amount.

Cue the "another member of the if you don't like it go home brigade" accusations. I'm used to it from certain posters. Water of a ducks back.

Sometimes you have to cut through the nonsense and say it like it is even if it does irritate some people.

I can well afford 400k, it's the principle not the money. Overnight they tie up 400k for ever if you use the 800k, which seems to be what they want people to use judging by some of the stories on here. What next? they can f us about however they want, and I think worse is to come in the realms of insurance, higher deposits and maybe even limits on what you can transfer out of the country. These people are not our friends.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I can well afford 400k, it's the principle not the money. Overnight they tie up 400k for ever if you use the 800k, which seems to be what they want people to use judging by some of the stories on here. What next? they can f us about however they want, and I think worse is to come in the realms of insurance, higher deposits and maybe even limits on what you can transfer out of the country. These people are not our friends.

Let's look at it from a different perspective... 

Say you are a French retiree (same for most Western countries) who receives a 70,000 baht pension on his account in Thailand every month. 

This retiree is going to pay 1,900 baht for his visa and pay... no income tax. 

Now if he can't accept the Thai visa requirements and prefers to stay in France, his visa cost will go down to zero, and his income tax to... 70,000 baht (more or less), not to mention the multiple other taxes he will have to pay for the privilege of living in his own country. 

With the 400,000 or 800,000 baht, the situation is similar. 

Does the retiree prefer to keep this amount on his Thai bank account and make 1.5% a year, or to give away tens of thousands of baht to the French authorities every year? 

Strange how many foreigners seem to forget that staying in their own country is not free, and that in fact it is often more expensive than staying in Thailand... and I am not talking about the cost of living, but about the costs imposed by the local authorities on their citizens or guests... 

• Sad 1

On 6/6/2019 at 4:21 AM, Brunolem said:

One may also wonder why many foreigners are so reluctant about being insured

What a silly, groundless, uninformed statement this is. You are missing the point completely. The point doesn't lie in the principle of being or not being insured, of course. Did you read all of the previous discussions on the subject or not?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Even if you could get 10%, which is near impossible in Australia, you would gain less than 2800 bucks on your investment at current exchange rates, which are likely to keep dropping in the medium term according to the financial markets. Of course you could also lose a lot more as 10% is a very high risk investment these days in Oz. Then factor in the costs of transferring the money back to Oz, along with brokerage fees and what have you (possibly 35% tax for a non tax resident).

Lets face it, not many people turn into investment wonder boys upon retirement or they would have been doing very well before retirement and 400k would be drop in the proverbial compared to the great wealth they would have amassed over the years using their financial knowledge.

What you fail to mention is what you will be living on when you have zero baht in the bank?

I think for peace of mind just leave the 400k (or preferably the whole 800k) in the Thai system.

Think of it as a bond for the privilege of living here. And yes, it is a privilege - NOT a right. 

• Like 1

I understand that if you have been here for 20 years or more and kept up the requirements since, then the 'grandfathered' deposit is just 200K!

The OP claims that back in the day, the immigration offices were empty and attributes all the problems now to an increase in long term expats.

I've lived here for 20 years and while I accept that there has been an increase in 'longstayers', the reason that immigration offices are so busy now is that 20 years ago, you had just ONE hoop to jump through every year.  Now there are so many hoops that have since been invented that visits to immigration offices have become much more frequent.

When I arrived, I never saw an immigration office for the first year.  90 day reports were almost non-existent as were TM30 and most other 'TM' numbers.

Pretty much turn up at immigration with your passport, say hello, a little 'small talk' and you were good to go!

3 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Thank you Mr. Immigration Officer on your opinion of how great immigration is, and how easy it is to obtain one year Thai visa extensions.  However, up until this year we were able to show our monthly income or sufficient funds to qualify for a one year visa  extension going into a western bank.    

That has all changed now with the new requirement of depositing 800,000 baht into a Thai bank or being forced to deposit 65,000 baht into a Thai bank monthly.  For some unknown reason, many of the western embassies have turned their backs on their retirees making it easier for the Thai government to implement their diabolical plan of enriching the coffers of the Thai banks. This is a major change for you who are paying attention.

As far as obtaining a ten year US tourists visa for my Thai wife or visas to visit any number of European countries, it is very easy.  None of these countries have 90 day checkins or TM forms to fill out for all of our movements.  Even communist China doesn't do this.  This is worth repeating in case some of you have reading comprehension problems.  Communist China does not have a 90 day checkin requirement or TM forms they use on foreigners.  This should be an eye opener for you western retirees.

Many of us have health insurance from our previous careers in the US, that is good all over the world.  I suspect the Thai health insurance scam to be the next hurdle immigration will implement.  Immigration has been quiet on all the one year extensions they have been rejecting and the western retirees leaving Thailand monthly.  I'm not certain what their ultimate plan is but it doesn't include more western

retirees moving to Thailand.

In case you have missed this, Thailand is no longer referred to as the "Land of Smiles."     

Nobody is being 'forced' to do anything.

Most of the western nations have not changed anything with respect to income affidavits. Only 3 have.

A significant number of forum members have stated they have always used to 800k in the bank option and in some cases for many years.

You weigh up the pros and cons of the visa/extension situation.

If the pros outweigh the cons in your judgement then you go with that decision and play by the rules.

If the cons outweigh the pros then a different decision may be appropriate.

If I wanted to buy a Toyota, no amount of force would cause me to buy a Ford. My money, my life, my choice.

• Like 1