Lite Half Cal Sugar.

NoshowJones

This Lite half cal sugar is supposed to be half the calories of normal sugar, but that

does not seem to be the case. 

On Googling  them, they both list one stick (4 grams) at 15 calories.

Anyone know what I am missing?

if its 4 grams and 15 calories then i don't see how its half the calories of normal sugar. Because 1 gram of sugar (or any other carb) is 4 calories. So theoretically it should be 16 cals and if its 15 cals its certainly not half. 

You need to read the fine print. One spoonful of "Lite" supposedly equals the sweetness of 2 spoonfuls of conventional sugar, which would be a 50% reduction in calories, when you use half as much. I have used this product, but Tesco sells a similar sugar product blended with sucralose @ 500g for 20 baht which I prefer. Same 1=2 formula.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

...One spoonful of "Lite" supposedly equals the sweetness of 2 spoonfuls of conventional sugar, which would be a 50% reduction in calories...

Sweetness ≠ calories

On 6/9/2019 at 8:10 AM, robblok said:

if its 4 grams and 15 calories then i don't see how its half the calories of normal sugar. Because 1 gram of sugar (or any other carb) is 4 calories. So theoretically it should be 16 cals and if its 15 cals its certainly not half. 

I know Rob, that is why I'm confused. Lite sugar is supposed to be half the cals of normal sugar, it tells you on the packet.

I could have made a mistake with the grams and cals, but googling it, it gives Lite sugar the same cals as normal sugar, if that is true, then Lite sugar are falsely saying that their sugar has half the cals of normal sugar.

Lite Sugar is a low-calorie sugar that gives the same natural sweet taste as normal sugar by using only half of normal sugar. Suitable for weight control or health concern people

Ingredients

Sugar 99.5% Aspartame 0.5%

It's pure sugar, but the Aspartame makes it twice as sweet. 

So you are supposed to use half (instead of 2 sachets you just empty one in your cuppa)

Edited by Jan Dietz

49 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I know Rob, that is why I'm confused. Lite sugar is supposed to be half the cals of normal sugar, it tells you on the packet.

I could have made a mistake with the grams and cals, but googling it, it gives Lite sugar the same cals as normal sugar, if that is true, then Lite sugar are falsely saying that their sugar has half the cals of normal sugar.

Maybe and I am by no means an experts do they mean that lite sugar tastes sweeter then normal sugar and that is where they get the claim from. I have no clue.. but otherwise its false advertising.

• Thanks 1