Extending Visa Hotel Bill Unpaid

7 minutes ago, WorldWunder said:

As has been mentioned earlier, if I had family or friends who I knew that could do that I would have used them. I offered transferwise or WU via bank account but he said no. Only cash payments like a wire or branch cash deposit.

What the ....so you have zip family or friend that can transfer funds to a nominated bank ac Thailand. Starting to think your next step is gofundme.

Won't be popular while you sun yourself Phuket with deal with " acquaintance"

However...your unpaid bill will not be a problem upon departing from Thailand. Its a civil matter. So enjoy your stay. Next visit maybe have fall back position. Like another card kept in hotel. 

8 minutes ago, WorldWunder said:

I've gotten enough unsolicited money movement advice. The bill  will be paid. That's not the issue. My question is ONLY about extending my visa at immigration BEFORE the hotel owner has lifted the watch. I don't want to have to pay a large overstay fine if my card takes another 2 weeks to arrive.

If extending visa your issues with hotel will be irrelevant. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

If extending visa your issues with hotel will be irrelevant. 

I'm hoping so. Looking to get a "second opinion" to ease my worries lol

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

However...your unpaid bill will not be a problem upon departing from Thailand. Its a civil matter. So enjoy your stay. Next visit maybe have fall back position. Like another card kept in hotel. 

I have heard of and read reports contrary to this. Maybe its when they try to fly out of the airport in the same city and they've alerted immigration at that specific airport?

1 minute ago, WorldWunder said:

I'm hoping so. Looking to get a "second opinion" to ease my worries lol

I have heard of and read reports contrary to this. Maybe its when they try to fly out of the airport in the same city and they've alerted immigration at that specific airport?

Hotels as far as I know cannot "notify" passport control re civil matters such as unpaid hotel bill. 

Ubonjoe will advise you accurately on this. 

I'm starting to think your genuine. Unless you can organize funds then obviously time to leave. You did not indicate a current return ticket. 

• Like 1

My netspend card would do that as well. Only issue is thats not my BANK. I use a credit union I've had since my Army days. Didn't see a reason to change until now. They recently changed their policies to exclude expedite shipping international to anywhere other than Europe and North/Central american countries due to increased shipping costs (according to them). I would buy bitcoin or something but you need a physical card for all the verification (provide them with photos and stuff). No I don't have any friends I can call up and ask. Due to the nature of my previous job I was pretty isolated. Hence the no facebook.

What do you mean immigration doesn't care? As in they will let me extend regardless of the hotel alerting them to unpaid bill?

What do you mean by help at the embassy?

FEDX/UPS next day to somebody in North America then they can Do same sending it to you?
  • Like 1

This is rapidly deteriorating into a "pay attention to me" scenario as OP does not appear to be thinking rationally anymore.

Money issue- Transferwise (or bank transfer) to friend who gives you the cash from their Thai (or US) ATM card. .  Alternatively,  Walmart Moneycard and Green Dot both allow top-offs by domestic (US) bank transfer, so this sounds fishy.  OP does not provide card issuer for prepaid card, so no one else can refute their story, making OP look more and more like a Drama-seeker than an honest (with themselves, anyway) seeker of solutions, however unpleasant.

Pay hotel bill.

• Like 2

I did not realize that NetSpend was a card issuer.  My apologies. 

Five minutes of research shows that NetSpend allows DirectDeposit, which has an account with ABA routing number and Account number, which is what you need to set up any interbank transfer. 

Set up a DirectDeposit automatic payment to the card at $500/month or whatever and you should have a funded card which can be used to make Moneygram transfers with no problem. 

US law provides the same legal backing to voice authorizations, scanned written and faxed authorizations.  As a long time customer of the credit union, they can make exceptions to the 'rules' due to special circumstances.  They may not be able to FedEx or express the card as a third-party may be generating the card, so no surprise there.  But they can authorize a new transaction over the phone/fax/etc on the managerial level.  They can certainly verify that you are in Thailand from your transaction history.

There is also the possibility of contacting NetSpend about a one-time funding by bank transfer if the Direct Deposit route fails.

Immigration can be very helpful if you are patient, polite and are proactive about your situation and sincerely ask them for their wise counsel prior to becoming an illegal and having to pay a fine.  "Is it possible to get a one-time extension while this is resolved?"   Most farang are rude, self-important jerks and we see their stories here on ThaiVisa regularly.  Don't be that farang.

If you have Internet banking (that allows transfers in the US) there are several good solutions to getting money, but you apparently are not interested in that.

The extension of stay will not be a problem, assuming you have the 1,900 baht to pay for it, and have dealt with the TM30 requirement. Trying to leave the country might be.

When going to immigration, just in case but almost certainly unnecessary, take a copy of the police report, and proof that you are waiting for a replacement debit card.

Is your lost bank card also a Visa card? If so, try getting a new card from Visa Thailand.

Borrow from the "acquaintance" in Phuket.

I presume you must have given the hotel your passport and they made a copy of it, so they are likely going to pick you up at Immigration, but it’s only a civil law matter so no big problem. Take a copy of the Police report re lost card.

Can't believe there are no friends / relatives that could send money via Western Union.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

My question is ONLY about extending my visa at immigration BEFORE the hotel owner has lifted the watch.

To add to your woes:

If the hotel owner has informed immigration, then I doubt that this has been done 'officially'.  That's because an official recording of this in the immigration database to bar you from leaving the country can only be deleted from that database by visiting the relevant immigration office in Bangkok, where the 'bar from leaving the country' database is managed.  (I know this from personal experience).

What is more likely is that the hotel owner has unofficially advised his friends at Krabi Airport immigration to stop you from travelling.  (I occasionally did the same thing as a hotel owner near Phuket Airport and police volunteer. If someone skipped the bill, I passed their passport details to immigration at the airport and they would be stopped at the airport and not allowed to fly until they had paid me.  (Several people missed their flights while I 'ambled' to the airport to collect their payment....)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Can somebody explain to me waht are the benefits of prepaid cards over a bank issued debit card?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Some people are broke, have no Credit rating, bad Credit, or bankruptcies.

Saw a credit check report on somebody  who applied to lease a condo once . It appeared they made a credit card at every department store chain in 

America ran up several hundred dollars of charges and never paid them back!

Due to my job I keep/kept a pretty low profile. This included making any real friendships as I moved around almost monthly. Price of my Service. And I was recruited specifically because I was an orphan so double whammy. But my idiocy to not have proper backups here like I have in Singapore, UK and elsewhere was shortsighted. I assumed $300 or so was enough to get out of any jam plus I don't pay airfare due to a ridiculous amount of airline miles so I thought all would be good. But I've only gotten one actual answer to if I would be denied an extension due to the either official or unofficial alert to immigration.

13 minutes ago, WorldWunder said:

Due to my job I keep/kept a pretty low profile. This included making any real friendships as I moved around almost monthly. Price of my Service. And I was recruited specifically because I was an orphan so double whammy. But my idiocy to not have proper backups here like I have in Singapore, UK and elsewhere was shortsighted. I assumed $300 or so was enough to get out of any jam plus I don't pay airfare due to a ridiculous amount of airline miles so I thought all would be good. But I've only gotten one actual answer to if I would be denied an extension due to the either official or unofficial alert to immigration.

use them airmiles and go home and get a new card.... and some cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WorldWunder said:

But I've only gotten one actual answer to if I would be denied an extension due to the either official or unofficial alert to immigration.

I am not sure immigration would of taken the owners report seriously and you have been in touch with him about it since then.

Have you checked on the possibility of doing a transfer into a friends bank account. Check TransferWise to see what you can do. I would think your credit union help you with doing a domestic transfer which TransferWise or another similar service.

3 hours ago, WorldWunder said:

The OP is asking forum members about an Immigration decision.  Only officers of Immigration can answer these questions as they are the only ones qualified to do so.  Possibly a good psychic or fortune teller could, but those are increasingly rare.   As no forum members have identified themselves as officers of Thai immigration, it should be glaringly obvious that no one is answering as no one is qualified to answer the question, with the one exception of the poster who thought they had an answer. (People sometimes make honest mistakes, I believe we can all accept that and move on.)  We can guess, we can postulate, we can relay stories of past experiences, but nobody appears to be an actively employed member of the Thai immigration authority.

It appears obvious to many forum participants that obtaining the funds and paying the obligation appears to many as the easiest way to resolve the alleged 'report' which may cause difficulties. OP appears to be unwilling to explore these avenues. 

OP has not expressed any willingness to communicate directly with those authorities which can provide definitive guidance.

OP might not have any 'friends', but that term is relative.  Expats are a fairly easygoing bunch who are often willing to help people out when they are in a bind, because we are comparatively few in number and strangers in a strange land.  Maybe making a 'friend' for a week or so is too threatening.  We don't know.  I don't do diagnoses of paranoia as I am not a licensed medical professional at this time and do not play one in the media, either.

If OP is truly a member of the " 'shadow arts' special projects club" of the US defense establishment, he may be able to reach out to JUSMAGTHAI or the Defense Attache at the US embassy, but it sounds like that was long ago.

Either OP can go talk to Immigration or he can resolve the payment issue and obtain proof to show that the alleged report is without merit if any issue is brought up, neither of which appear to be acceptable to the OP.  We have a threat which may not be credible and a re-entry dispute which may never materialize.  At this point this is beginning to look like an exercise in wasting time to me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WyrldTraveler said:

The OP is asking forum members about an Immigration decision.  Only officers of Immigration can answer these questions as they are the only ones qualified to do so.  Possibly a good psychic or fortune teller could, but those are increasingly rare.   As no forum members have identified themselves as officers of Thai immigration, it should be glaringly obvious that no one is answering as no one is qualified to answer the question, with the one exception of the poster who thought they had an answer. (People sometimes make honest mistakes, I believe we can all accept that and move on.)  We can guess, we can postulate, we can relay stories of past experiences, but nobody appears to be an actively employed member of the Thai immigration authority.

It appears obvious to many forum participants that obtaining the funds and paying the obligation appears to many as the easiest way to resolve the alleged 'report' which may cause difficulties. OP appears to be unwilling to explore these avenues. 

OP has not expressed any willingness to communicate directly with those authorities which can provide definitive guidance.

OP might not have any 'friends', but that term is relative.  Expats are a fairly easygoing bunch who are often willing to help people out when they are in a bind, because we are comparatively few in number and strangers in a strange land.  Maybe making a 'friend' for a week or so is too threatening.  We don't know.  I don't do diagnoses of paranoia as I am not a licensed medical professional at this time and do not play one in the media, either.

If OP is truly a member of the " 'shadow arts' special projects club" of the US defense establishment, he may be able to reach out to JUSMAGTHAI or the Defense Attache at the US embassy, but it sounds like that was long ago.

Either OP can go talk to Immigration or he can resolve the payment issue and obtain proof to show that the alleged report is without merit if any issue is brought up, neither of which appear to be acceptable to the OP.  We have a threat which may not be credible and a re-entry dispute which may never materialize.  At this point this is beginning to look like an exercise in wasting time to me.

The person you qouted, is the OP.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:59 PM, Don Chance said:

I have a  prepaid visa card and they will replace in anywhere in the world in 24-48 hours.

I also have some ethererem that can be changed  almost anywhere with https://localethereum.com

Also agonda.com account attached to my bank accounts, so i could at least have somewhere to stay and probably the owner would advance me some cash that way.

As for you situation, don't you have a friend to western union some cash to you?

I don't think immigration cares btw.

Your embassy will probably help you.

Edited by Nong Khai Man

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

The person you qouted, is the OP.

On Page Four, some forum members may not recall the statements of the OP, so I quoted them as a reference.  This individual is obviously a seasoned traveler, so this is looking increasingly like an elaborate prank for his own amusement if he does not intend to do anything about his alleged issue, such as inquiring of Immigration if a report has been filed and, if so, the ramifications of such a report.

• Like 1

US Credit Unions can be a pain with things that are outside of their norm. I have had success in the past getting some form of trustworthy notarization faxed to them in an emergency, but mine wouldn’t even mail me a debit card to my home address without seeing me in person first. 

While the best advice is always to have a backup credit card and cash separate from your normal cash, credit card, and ATM card, that isn’t especially useful now. 

If you have access to a brokerage account or IRA or 401k, you can always try that avenue. 

i think the reason there is no definitive answer for the OP is very few (if any) thai visa members have had a similar experience.  stating the obvious there.  so with that in mind, the OP has to move forward w/o any definitive answer.  this is what i would do:

go to the phuket immigration for the extension.  i doubt they'll say anything about the hotel bill.  but you never know.  in that case, i'd have some papers handy to show the immigration officer (i) that the card has been lost (i think i read about a police report being obtained) and (ii) that the card is being sent to the hotel who is owed the money. 

one question remains though, how does the OP get from phuket to krabi to collect the card when the OP has no money (i did see something about airline miles).

Edited by buick

Sorry but I didn't read all the other post, but if your card uses the visa or MasterCard channel they can normally send you an emergency card, I lost one of my credit cards earlier this year, called up MasterCard concierge and they were able to FedEx me an emergency card, this was issued in Singapore and got to me 3 days later, interesting thing is the card was not branded by my bank but branded as just MasterCard, worked fine until my bank sent me a replacement that took about 3 weeks, got a pic of it attached

Screenshot_20190610-143138_Gallery.jpg

Welcome to thai visa where everyone loves to judge but help....not a lot, lol has anyone even answered or bothered to answer the ops question. No one knows for sure if you will be denied but I doubt that will be the case. You are thinking of this like a western country where everything is linked, that is no the case in thailand and odds are the immigration officer won't know or won't care if it is even in the system at all. The owner of the hotel is more then likely just trying to scare you into paying and not leaving the country, I doubt he has even reported you to the police let alone immigration.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if you can apply for it, but I'm with Revolut and they are fantastic for this sort of situation - they will get a replacement card to you within 48 hours worldwide and you can have multiple cards at once.

I learned the hard way when I had my card stolen in HCMC that it's a good idea to have more than one bank card. 

I have been doing international travel for over 50 years.  My early travel was great, those were the days when YOUR Embassy actually WOULD help you if you were in some sort of trouble.  After a " lost passport and money ( AKA STOLEN ) " incident in Germany in the 60's, I have always kept a backup plan.

1) 3 ways to get money in 36 or less hours - can be as short as 30 minutes IF you have a bank account in the country you are traveling.

2) 2 ways to get a passport ( US Citizens are allowed to have 2 original passports ) in the same time frame..and I always carry a laminated wallet copy instead of a passport when less than 4 hours away from where I am staying.

Overnight Express and TRUSTED friends ( limited access to SOME of my money and have my duplicate passport ) at " HOME " are good things.

Enough preaching.

The Embassy will do nothing- they do not loan money except to repatriate citizens in an emergency and then hold your passport until you repay.

Thai immigration will extend your visa- fill out the form; picture and possibly ask for proof of where your are staying- 1,900 Thai Baht.....99% certain.  The Hotel owner is not interested in filing charges- he just wants to get paid.  Please do so

• Like 1