Thanathorn insists he was robbed of premiership by the Senate’s influence

rooster59

17.jpg

Future Forward party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit restated his belief today that the Pheu Thai-led coalition parties were robbed of victory in the election of the prime minister on Wednesday because of the influence of the junta-appointed Senate.

Noting that the presence of 250 senators in parliament had a direct impact on the decision-making of parties, he cited Democrat party leader Jurin Laksanavisit’s statement that, as a matter of fact, the anti-junta alliance would not be able to form a government because of the 250 senators.

500 members of both houses (251 MPs and 249 senators) voted for Prayut against the 244 MPs who voted in favor of Thanathorn.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thanathorn-insists-he-was-robbed-of-premiership-by-the-senates-influence/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-06-09

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

It is better that you finish crying and think of a strategy as really helping the nation if what you keep saying is true.

• Thanks 1

I can't swear that Thanatorn is a good guy but I have to admit everything was against him.

- The election comission was bought

- People votes were bought

- The vote count was rigged

- Seat attribution was rigged

- Senator's vote was rigged

- MP votes were bought

I doubt even if Thanatorn won the opposition would not have attempted another trick by digging some dirt and throwing him through a military court. That's just a "what if" but so far they always surprised in the worst ways possible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

500 members of both houses (251 MPs and 249 senators) voted for Prayut against the 244 MPs who voted in favor of Thanathorn.

Senator's vote or not – in my calculator 251 MPs are more than 244 MPs...????

12 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Too true.

The 11 seats the EC moved across to top up that 251 is kind of impactful though.

Don't you think?......????????

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Your not trying to justify the vote - are you? :shock1:

• Like 1

Thai RACKING Thai.  Thais voting in their own interests and voting against their fellow Thais.  Doldrums and head wins will persist for the average Thai and foreigners wanting to set up shop (work, do business) in Thailand. If you are friendly with the shadowy 1%, your life will just get better and better.  Thailand reminds of the short story: The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas .  Only it is not one child but several million people who are told to keep smiling all the time.  

Even with the shenanigans, the junta only won by a small margin.   Sadly, lazy and arrogant civil servants will still feel empowered for the next four years.    

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Hillary got robbed of the US presidential election because of the electoral college outcome (she won the popular vote). So, the mechanics of how democratic elections are held can seem flawed. It is what it is. And the latest Thai attempt at a democratically elected prime minister has so many twists and turns that, one can only shrug. Nevertheless, I feel it was a valiant attempt to re-introduce democracy to Thailand. And, as part of the Asian somewhat democratic scenario (Singapore, Malaysia -- forget Vietnam, Cambodia, China, Burma), Thailand is now part of the peculiar "managed democracy" we saw Lee Kuan Yew introduce.  Does this p*** off the Human Rights crowd? Sure. But please address the man on the street in Thailand -- does he now feel his daily activity and rights have been suppressed? No, not unless he's been to a Peua Thai rally, where he can only accept , but not evaluate, the political diatribe tossed at him.

So, let the youngsters piss and moan. They'll get another chance. Meanwhile, Praytuth, who really didn't do too badly in his time as coup prime minister, will, I'm sure, continue to lead Thailand. He's smart, he has shown no indication of corruption (what kind of car does he drive?), and he has hired some of the best brains to manage this government and economy (e.g. Somkid). I only expect more of the same.

Anyway, things seem just fine since the coup. No blood in the streets in four years; folks seem relaxed and positive; and now, with the election in the rear view mirror, those of us without political agenda can move one.

Oh, yeah -- having a general in charge: Best 8 years in America (economy growing, plus NO wars) was under Eisenhower. Washington didn't do too badly either. So, put your military prejudices aside when assessing the character of the man in charge.

Intriguing post. Tell me Jim if Prayut is as praise worthy as you put, why he is not seeking the people’s endorsement in the election but rather seek the alternative path of an outside nomination. And why he need to put his own people in the upper house to secure his selections. By the way, you forgotten that there were 8 bombing incidents and there were blood on the street that you conveniently forgot and the south is still fighting. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

By the way, you forgotten that there were 8 bombing incidents and there were blood on the street that you conveniently forgot

Please enlighten me on these episodes -- was this in civilized Thailand? Or in the Muslim provinces? There's not much the civilized world can do about Muslim insurgency, to include Thailand. Prayut's record is neither better, nor worse, than Yinglucks in dealing with this problem. Thaksin had a real blood bath with these insurgents -- to the applause, I'm sure, of the Peua Thai faithful.

No, the Muslim problem is an outlier. So, back to the blood in the street you mention -- was this in a major Thai city, at least a major Thai city in "real" Thailand?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, anterian said:

The real question is what are you and your supporters going to do about this?

Without blood running in the streets there will be no change. And it comes as no surprise that most Thais don't want blood running in the streets. They have been well trained from birth to be obedient slaves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Hillary got robbed of the US presidential election because of the electoral college outcome (she won the popular vote). So, the mechanics of how democratic elections are held can seem flawed. It is what it is. And the latest Thai attempt at a democratically elected prime minister has so many twists and turns that, one can only shrug. Nevertheless, I feel it was a valiant attempt to re-introduce democracy to Thailand. And, as part of the Asian somewhat democratic scenario (Singapore, Malaysia -- forget Vietnam, Cambodia, China, Burma), Thailand is now part of the peculiar "managed democracy" we saw Lee Kuan Yew introduce.  Does this p*** off the Human Rights crowd? Sure. But please address the man on the street in Thailand -- does he now feel his daily activity and rights have been suppressed? No, not unless he's been to a Peua Thai rally, where he can only accept , but not evaluate, the political diatribe tossed at him.

So, let the youngsters piss and moan. They'll get another chance. Meanwhile, Praytuth, who really didn't do too badly in his time as coup prime minister, will, I'm sure, continue to lead Thailand. He's smart, he has shown no indication of corruption (what kind of car does he drive?), and he has hired some of the best brains to manage this government and economy (e.g. Somkid). I only expect more of the same.

Anyway, things seem just fine since the coup. No blood in the streets in four years; folks seem relaxed and positive; and now, with the election in the rear view mirror, those of us without political agenda can move one.

Oh, yeah -- having a general in charge: Best 8 years in America (economy growing, plus NO wars) was under Eisenhower. Washington didn't do too badly either. So, put your military prejudices aside when assessing the character of the man in charge.

Things will be 'fine' as you put it if it's business as usual. But Bangkok is inexorably sinking and drought could well come to the rice bowl. And corrupt leadership has no tools to deal with these critical problems let's see how well the good General does when the floods come to Bangkok again which they surely will or rice crops fail in Isaan.

Comparing Eisenhower and Prayuth in the same breath is well breathtaking - that said I'm not aware Dwight penned many songs during his long years of power - though he had one's written for him ! He was a great man and I'm a Brit we have a lot to thank him for and the bravery and sacrifice of the American people. 

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Please enlighten me on these episodes -- was this in civilized Thailand? Or in the Muslim provinces? There's not much the civilized world can do about Muslim insurgency, to include Thailand. Prayut's record is neither better, nor worse, than Yinglucks in dealing with this problem. Thaksin had a real blood bath with these insurgents -- to the applause, I'm sure, of the Peua Thai faithful.

No, the Muslim problem is an outlier. So, back to the blood in the street you mention -- was this in a major Thai city, at least a major Thai city in "real" Thailand?

Is the Deep South provinces part of Thailand? Your claim that there is no blood on the streets is factually wrong. Sorry you can’t cherrypick to make an argument. So the fact remains that Prayut with all the promises could not even reduced the violence in the south. 

Back to the blood on the streets, you avoiding the 8 bombings incidents. And the peace that you talking was achieved with a lots of human right abuses.

So Jim why Prayut is scared of seeking the endorsement from the people and rather seek the comfort from his appointed senators.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

251 MPs and 249 senators) voted for Prayut against the 244 MPs who voted in favor of Thanathorn.

Where is the robbery?

The robbery is, the 11 small parties that were all awarded a single seat, even though none of those parties had enough votes to actually claim a seat. The robbery is the whole elec tion, that was decidedly unfair and unjust. The new governement lacks any legitimicy because of it. The only right thing to do is to sack the EC, and start over. The pro democracy coalition of which Thanathor is part off, went from 253 seats to 246 seats all because the EC cheated them out of enough seats to even make this "coalition" possible. 

The final robbery is the democrats who promised their voters not to vote for the dictator, yet after the elections still did. Utter shameless.

It will all be allright, this coalition won't make it until next Christmas, that much is almost certain. 

Edited by sjaak327
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Prayuth might be smart, he remains a criminal that belongs in jail. Or did you forget how he obtained the PM post ? People that support illegal coups should be ashamed, there is really no justification possible. Of course he granted himself amnesty, hence will never be in jail, but it is quite clear that's where he belongs. 

As to doing well, nah, he delivered a piss poor job, and with no valid mandate to boot. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

So the fact remains that Prayut with all the promises could not even reduced the violence in the south. 

Then, I guess, we would have needed Thaksin's tactics to solve the problem -- dead meat by the roadside. Works for me. Not sure what the next solution is -- annex these lands to Malaysia? Heck, why not. They're never going to be part of a productive Thai economy anyway -- just a festering sore.

Prayut had no good alternatives, nor will he in the future. Anyone else in charge would have had the same hurdles.

• Haha 1