Broken sidewalks make for hazardous walking

Rimmer

Broken sidewalks make for hazardous walking

image.png

PATTAYA:--Damaged sidewalks make simply walking dangerous along a stretch of South Road.

Footpaths on both sides of the street near the CAT Telecom building are cracked, broken and uneven due to repeated flooding.

Residents say continual road work also has led to a surface that has become dangerous for pedestrians because work crews never restore the pavement to pristine condition.

Locals are demanding city hall fix the problems as soon as possible.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-06-11--

• Haha 1

I figure all those hazards are part of Buddhist teachings: to be "present" and in the moment. Bury your nose in smartphone at your own risk. If the sidewalks don't get you, maybe the low signs and wires will. Those just might be passive aggressive way of venting over being shorter than most Westerners, however

• Like 1

At least there are sidewalks.  Pattaya Second Road has a stretch with no sidewalk at all--and, of course, it is right next to a police barracks.  You'd think the police would demand a sidewalk for safety.  You'd think wrong. 

• Like 1

Hasn't changed since I started visiting in 1998. 

Good way for hospitals to get more $ out of tourists with broken ankles 

Of course I learned early on to walk in the street facing traffic if possible.

27 minutes ago, Benmart said:

on footpaths that force people and wheelchair users into the street. Truely Amazing.

On a Sunday morning I often see a trail of disabled people struggling from Father Ray's place down soi Yume to go to  Big CX. Quite a struggle for them, despite there being a special lane. It is full of impediments and parked vehicles. They all help one another. 

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, Skallywag said:

Hasn't changed since I started visiting in 1998. 

Good way for hospitals to get more $ out of tourists with broken ankles 

Of course I learned early on to walk in the street facing traffic if possible.

I think the pavements haven't been repaired since early 90s at least. Opposite Soi 10 where the gas bottle shop used to be can still see the divots in the pavers where the gas bottles broke them.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:52 PM, newnative said:

At least there are sidewalks.  Pattaya Second Road has a stretch with no sidewalk at all--and, of course, it is right next to a police barracks.  You'd think the police would demand a sidewalk for safety.  You'd think wrong. 

Soi Buakhao has pavements, except all the businesses and hotels have extended their premises over them, so everyone has to walk in the street.

On 6/11/2019 at 2:15 PM, Emdog said:

I figure all those hazards are part of Buddhist teachings: to be "present" and in the moment. Bury your nose in smartphone at your own risk. If the sidewalks don't get you, maybe the low signs and wires will. Those just might be passive aggressive way of venting over being shorter than most Westerners, however

i'm shorter than most westerners! don't get any easier down here..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

I don't see any problem. There are even motorbikes parked on the sidewalk so that you can't overlook this broken area. 

why cannot karma complete the picture, and bring on a sinkhole under the illegally parked ones?

a sinkhole is the only thing that demands attention...

When my son was small, getting around most capital cities with a push-chair was quite easy... 

i.e. Singapore, Aukland (and all of NZ), Sidney (and all of Aus), the UK...  Attempting to get around with a push-chair even 200m down the road proved dangerous and draws specifically attention to the apathetic attitude Thailand has to pedestrians and those without vehicles... As a consequence we drove everywhere... 

"An advanced city is not one where even the poor use cars, but rather one where even the rich use public transport"

Enrique Penalosa

When you have no system of redress or public responsibility, you actually have no rights. One of the reasons that prisons in most western countries are so much more humane than in Thailand, is court rulings that have declared certain practices as "cruel and unusual". In Thailand, cruelty is seen as the just deserts for infractions of the law. The idea of the punishment fitting the crime or being proportional to the crime, has simply never been understood here, and in many countries. It is a uniquely western concept.