Police hunt two teenagers after Jordanian tourist's credit card stolen in Chiang Mai

Jordanian tourist’s lost credit card used

By The Nation

Screen Shot 2562-06-17 at 16.20.06.png

Image: Thairath

A Jordanian tourist filed a report with police on Monday after noting that his credit card had been used twice after he lost it in Chiang Mai.

Hani M Alabada, 37, told officers at the Muang Chiang Mai police station that he had lost his credit card while cycling downtown on Sunday and that it had been used twice.

It was first used to buy Bt600-worth of goods from a convenience store on Ratphakinai Road and an hour later was used as payment for a diamond ring worth Bt10,000.

He filed the complaint after being notified by SMS from his bank of the two purchases.

A staff member of the jewellery shop in a shopping mall said a Thai teenager had used the card, claiming it belonged to his father, who is a foreigner, so the shop accepted the card.

Police are hunting for the teen who appears on the shop’s security camera.

thenation_logo.jpg

"A staff member of the jewellery shop in a shopping mall said a Thai teenager had used the card, claiming it belonged to his father, who is a foreigner, so the shop accepted the card."

BS excuse to cover an obvious fraudulent transaction.

I know why I use the Credit Card only for situations where one is forced like on booking a hotel, renting a car or internet purchases....rest of the time, tack it safely someplace secure and go only with ca$h...good ole cash !!

23 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I know why I use the Credit Card only for situations where one is forced like on booking a hotel, renting a car or internet purchases....rest of the time, tack it safely someplace secure and go only with ca$h...good ole cash !!

Same here, but when I eventually want to use it, the cc company refuses the transaction coz I'm not in UK!

5 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Same here, but when I eventually want to use it, the cc company refuses the transaction coz I'm not in UK!

Then your company seems to suck perhaps ? ? (sorry)....never had any issues with mine delivered from another EU country.

7 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"A staff member of the jewellery shop in a shopping mall said a Thai teenager had used the card, claiming it belonged to his father, who is a foreigner, so the shop accepted the card."

Yeah, but even if the store clerk was not involved in the original theft/scam, as many of you have noticed, the Thais rarely check for proper ID or signature or card ownership.  They process the sale and hope the business transaction goes through.  Now if this Jordanian has a proper card system, he should be re-imbursed for the charge.  I don't know what will happen to the shop and if the shop will then get stuck with the bill.  I would think the fact the shop clerk admitted he processed the card, obviously without proper ID check, he or the shop should be liable for the charges and the credit card company will send them the bill?

7 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

If you give them a call and tell them what country you'll be in, and when, you should be good to go.

Here lies the problem. I have never had a cashier check my signature on the credit docket against the signature on my credit card in Thailand. Alternatively other countries have dispensed with signatures and now the dreaded PIN  number is used.

The store is pretty stupid to fall for that story...even he is a relative, policy doesn’t allow for family members to use a CC card...

company policy should be refuse to pay given use out of country...

did customer let CC company know he was out of country?

Did this 100% Thai kid look like a Luuk khuerng? How was his Jordanian?

i bet clerk didn’t even ask what nationality he was? Could he not have checked where the card was issued from? What was your father’s name again? The kid wouldn’t be able to pronounce let alone spell it....can I speak with your father since you have his card? Could have caught him in a lie but store more interested in sale than legitimacy?

2 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

The store is pretty stupid to fall for that story...even he is a relative, policy doesn’t allow for family members to use a CC card...

You were doing ok for your first sentence.... Then it quickly went downhill. Likely the owner already used it in Thailand. So....

15 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Sometimes a jewelry shop will write up a phony credit card charge (Say 10,000 Baht) then give the ‘customer’ a certain percentage of cash in place of the merchandise. So... the thief walks away with maybe 20% and the shop files the card purchase and keeps the remaining 80%.....along with the original piece of merchandise.

16 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Not necessarily a cover, just that there would be nothing on earth that would prevent them getting a sale. If a dog had walked in with it they would still process the order.

The FIRST order of business if one loses a credit or ID card is to call the card company or bank/make a police report (for lost ID) to have it blocked, so it cannot be used. What was Mr. Alabada doing - waiting in his hotel room for someone to bring his card/s back?

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

i bet clerk didn’t even ask what nationality he was? Could he not have checked where the card was issued from? What was your father’s name again? The kid wouldn’t be able to pronounce let alone spell it....can I speak with your father since you have his card? Could have caught him in a lie but store more interested in sale than legitimacy?

You raise many valid points but "How was his Jordanian", do you really think the jewelry store owner would be able to test this out? Is there even a language recognised as Jordanian? I thought they spoke Arabic.

17 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Isn't the card holders ID number required.The shop would should  be made to carry the loss. I can't withdraw money without my I'D number. I think the shop excepted the card with it being stolen in mind.

2 minutes ago, kensisaket said:

It's kind of ironic that cashiers count money at least 5 times before they finish a transaction; but, handle credit cards as if there will be no repercussion in instances like this.  

In England I can not make a purchase without putting my I'D number In the machine. Same if their isn't enough money in the Account the sale is rejected that's with a debit card anyway.

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

Here lies the problem. I have never had a cashier check my signature on the credit docket against the signature on my credit card in Thailand. Alternatively other countries have dispensed with signatures and now the dreaded PIN  number is used.

More and more businesses in Thailand now use the 'chip and pin' on credit/debit cards.  They haven't got around to a cordless terminal yet and often have to go behind the counter to enter your pin.

10 minutes ago, kensisaket said:

It's kind of ironic that cashiers count money at least 5 times before they finish a transaction; but, handle credit cards as if there will be no repercussion in instances like this.  

But there is it the I'D number is required when making the purchase. The shop is at fault. Did the shop assistance know the boys in mind

5 minutes ago, HHTel said:

More and more businesses in Thailand now use the 'chip and pin' on credit/debit cards.  They haven't got around to a cordless terminal yet and often have to go behind the counter to enter your pin.

I thought it was standard practice to punch you ID number in the machine when making a purchase . 

2 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Sometimes a jewelry shop will write up a phony credit card charge (Say 10,000 Baht) then give the ‘customer’ a certain percentage of cash in place of the merchandise. So... the thief walks away with maybe 20% and the shop files the card purchase and keeps the remaining 80%.....along with the original piece of merchandise.

Were you a jewellery shop owner? If not, I wonder how exactly you know this.

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

"Did this 100% Thai kid look like a Luuk khuerng? How was his Jordanian?"

Where did it say that he was 100% Thai?  You think that the shop clerk would know any Jordanian to be in a position to ask him?  Have you ever heard of step-children?

"What was your father’s name again? The kid wouldn’t be able to pronounce let alone spell it...."

Neither would the clerk, how would he know if it was correct?  Having said that, for someone who learned basic English at school, how hard would it be to pronounce "Hani" or "Alabada"

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

A staff member of the jewellery shop in a shopping mall said a Thai teenager had used the card, claiming it belonged to his father, who is a foreigner, so the shop accepted the card.

This has to be stopped, the shop becomes as guilty as the card user !

7 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I thought it was standard practice to punch you ID number in the machine when making a purchase . 

There are still retailers using the old system.  Only last week, I purchased 4 new tyres and the card was used as 'swipe and sign.

Of the larger retailers, Tesco still use 'swipe and sign', or they did up to a couple of months ago.

The guy was lucky his Credit card company advised him on the purchases 

he should have notified them straight away and cancelled his card  

as already mentioned what was he waiting for

some one to hand in  

he is reading to many honest  Taxi stories 

53 minutes ago, outsider said:

The FIRST order of business if one loses a credit or ID card is to call the card company or bank/make a police report (for lost ID) to have it blocked, so it cannot be used. What was Mr. Alabada doing - waiting in his hotel room for someone to bring his card/s back?

Did it say that he didn't report the loss to the card company when he was aware of it?

Archived