UK PM hopeful Hunt says would go for no-deal Brexit if EU doesn't shift

rooster59

UK PM hopeful Hunt says would go for no-deal Brexit if EU doesn't shift

800x800 (9).jpg

Jeremy Hunt, a leadership candidate for Britain's Conservative Party, gestures during a hustings event in Birmingham, Britain, June 22, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

BIRMINGHAM, England (Reuters) - Jeremy Hunt, the underdog in the race to be next British prime minister, said he would take the United Kingdom out of the European Union without a deal on Oct. 31 if the EU had not showed it was willing to renegotiate the Brexit deal.

"If we got to the 31st of October, and the EU have not shown the willingess to negotiate a better deal ... then my judgment is that weighing those difficult options up, the political risk of no Brexit is far worse than the economic risk of no deal," Hunt said at a leadership hustings event in Birmingham, central England.

"I would take us out of the European Union in that situation."

(Reporting by Hannah McKay; Writing by Alistair Smout; Editing by Alison Williams)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-23
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

5 years or so ago only very few people in the UK talked about a separation from the EU. Now it seems it's a question similar to life and death for many and many are prepared to accept huge changes including break up of the union to get what they want - or at least what they believe they might get. It would be fascinating if it wouldn't be so depressing.

It reminds me of dictatorial regimes almost a century ago, especially one in the middle of Europe. The dictator told everybody how bad the enemies are and they have to be destroyed, conquered or killed. And that's what happened. And later people asked: How could that happen? Why didn't more people realize what really happened? Why didn't they speak up?

And now, with internet, mobile phones and instant cheap communication all over the word something similar happens again. People believe what they want to believe and ignore reality. Crazy but true.

But the saying "History repeats itself" , whilst not factually true, it is however true in principle all to often.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Well Uk expats hope you have a lot of wedge,cos a lot of you will be in deep do do,if a no deal happens and the pound plunges,will also affect me, but lucky to my gold find in new guinea i am now mostly immune to the markets,Snodburry did contact me recently about another expedition, but as Carruthers was involved i gave a firm -no in response.

Watch for those head hunters  out in New Guinea, almost got me a job once ????????????

• Like 1

Why, in leadership contests across the Western world does the choice always have to be between the devil and the deep blue sea - with predictably dire results?

Presidents' and Prime Ministers change, but the policies implemented by supposedly idealogically-opposed parties invariably end up achieving the same objective: a continuation of the transfer of assets from the have-nots to the haves.

The terrible truth we all need to face is that political leaders - whether they realise it or not - have been relegated to the role of managers of debtor nations being systematically being sucked dry by a global financial/corporate elite.

This wealthy cartel (eight members of which are reputed to own over half the world's wealth) constitute a far greater menace to our future than any of the existential threats - global warming, a looming financial crisis or a third world war - used to keep us scared and submissive.

So if Boris, who is actually a lot smarter than many of his detractors would have us believe, is trying deliberately to wreck his chances of becoming Prime Minister, it is not difficult understand why.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1

Hunt is a closet remainer, he's going for No-Deal because he know Parliament won't let it happen, by fronting up up to the EU he knows they will not move an inch, it will end up with another Referendum,  No Deal Brexit or Remain. and Brexit will be history.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

A no Brexit deal & leaving will leave the UK in the wilderness for 10 years rather than 5 

31 Oct: Boris leads the UK out of the EU with a Hard Brexit.

begin Nov: new referendum in Scotland: Stays into the EU. Northern Ireland decides to do the same. DUP loses in all baronies ( sorry: constituencies) 

Dec: Trump offers E+W a greatest ever trade deal, beyond any imagination, thanks to superb English negotiations. Free trade, and no food safety regulations anymore as under the dictatorship op the EU. No English minister or Councillor in the new trade board, as they had in the EU.

Jan: the English + Welsh discover, being alone in this harsh world costs a lot more, as all, what was done together inside the EU, the "leavers" have to pay themselves.

Feb: Brazil, South Africa, India, China, Russia prove NOT to be the heaven on earth for the too expensive British Industrial output. And for Agricultural products.. no use.

March: Trade Mission to Belize comes back with a big export order: 25 cars, two lorries and.. 500 kg of Welsh lamb.

April: E + W tourists want to cross to Mediterranean Europe, but.. face a veto of Ireland and Scotland: All MUST have a Schengen visa. Stong pressure of Pt, Es, Fr, Gr and It to accept for this summer till 31 Oct.

May: Boris insists to speak to the EU parliament, but is refused entrance, and goes back furious. 

June: Seen pressure from the Captains of Industries still left in the Single Kingdom new negotiations are started for re-entry in the EU. EU insists: no preferences, accept €uro and Schengen + right lane traffic. HoC with one vote majority refuses.

Autumn: English pound at 0,75 per €uro. England competitive again for export, but hardly can afford any imports as too expensive. Bananas are as seldom now in the Single kindgom as in the former DDR. English try to cross La Manche ( Channel) to EU seen jobs. Welshmen try to cross to Ireland, Northumbrians to Scotland, willing to accept everything, even in Poland / Slovakia / Rumania / Bulgaria.

Oct: Theresa May overwhelmingly re-elected as PM, with promise a second referendum which (no)Brexit the Single Kingdom wants.

Nov: The EU decides, the Single Kingdom is economically seen too backworth, so negotiations with Ukraine get prevalence. However, with a 80% outcome and a 80% "re-entry" vote in a new referendum ( = >64% of all citizens) , the Single Kingdom can get an associated membership under the condition this will be fixed for at least 50 years.

30 Dec: a Airbus 380 plane full with Brexiteer politicians leaves the Single Kingdom in exile.

31 Dec: After a never so quickly organised referendum Prime Minister Theresa May, of the Lib Dem, Green, and Cons. coalition signs a new Association agreement with the EU, which is ratified the same day in the House of Commons.

Edited by puipuitom
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

We befriended some of them. That was fine till they asked us to share their wives. Well that puts a whole new meaning to " a boner" when the the women have one thro their nose. But still we are British and had to buck up and or else not to perform with their wives would be considered an insult. Things I did for England.

I bet BJ or JH would not have put the country first.

Know what you mean Geoff,same,same,except the one offered to me was like that thing that Lister had to marry in Red Dwarf,still ,yes i went through with it,was like waving a woodbine around in the albert hall,most damnable of all Carruthers the damn poof,got the pick of the bunch,no idea what he did with her,though i did note she was walking rather like a penguin the next day.

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2019 at 10:01 AM, geoffbezoz said:

I don't believe that for one moment.  He voted to remain and I'm convinced that all his posturing is to get him the PMs job, especially so that BJ has just shot himself in the foot and has a snowballs chance in hell of getting selected by the 160,000 Tory members.

Once he is elected PM then don't be surprised if his remain philosophy reemerges and, sensing that Corbyn is so disliked by half his own party, will counter the Tory fascist right wing, radicalising many into becoming Brexiteers, by calling a general election with a second referendum as its main fulcrum. That would almost certainly put paid to the extreme right wing of the Tories, the extreme left wing of the the Labour party, and once the referendum is held and withdrawl from the EU finally nullified and put to bed with article 50 withdrawn, unite the nation again. But unfortunately in the meantime the pound will continue to be in the doldrums until such time as the article 50 withdrawal letter, is itself withdrawn.

There's a lot of "ifs" in there sport.

6 hours ago, tebee said:

The madness that is brexit - it will destroy all you jobs, but you voted for it so you're going to get it whether you like it or not 

The mentality that supported Gallipoli, The Somme and so much devastation, and the thinking involved is indeed manifested in Brexit.

The decision was made so we'll soldier on without ever reappraising the situation. All hands on deck to rearrange the lifeboats!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

There's a lot of "ifs" in there sport.

SeeI'm sure your  Maths and/or reading is not that bad really but there is only one "if" in my piece ( 1st sentence, 2nd para.) . ????

Perhaps the word you were really grasping for was supposition ? ????

On 6/23/2019 at 3:01 AM, geoffbezoz said:

I don't believe that for one moment.  He voted to remain and I'm convinced that all his posturing is to get him the PMs job, especially so that BJ has just shot himself in the foot and has a snowballs chance in hell of getting selected by the 160,000 Tory members.

Once he is elected PM then don't be surprised if his remain philosophy reemerges and, sensing that Corbyn is so disliked by half his own party, will counter the Tory fascist right wing, radicalising many into becoming Brexiteers, by calling a general election with a second referendum as its main fulcrum. That would almost certainly put paid to the extreme right wing of the Tories, the extreme left wing of the the Labour party, and once the referendum is held and withdrawl from the EU finally nullified and put to bed with article 50 withdrawn, unite the nation again. But unfortunately in the meantime the pound will continue to be in the doldrums until such time as the article 50 withdrawal letter, is itself withdrawn.

Edited by geoffbezoz