Blow to Turkey's Erdogan as opposition wins big in Istanbul

webfact

Sadly, only a very minor blow.

He basically controls all the key institutions in Turkey. The army, the police, the judiciary, most universities, most of the mainstream media.......the list goes on.

Yes, Istanbul is significant in many ways but mayors in Turkey have limited power in affecting general politics, especially now that Turkey has basically become a 'one-man-rules' country. A simple example : if a group wants to hold a demo in a city, if the governor (governors in Turkey are government-appointed) of that city decides to ban it, the mayor of the city cannot do anything about it.

The presidential election in Turkey is in 2023. There is little chance of Erdogan losing it. He will do everything in his power to make sure he stays in power for at least 5 more years after 2023. Don't forget that a not-so-little part of Erdogan's base consists of militant guys, mostly of the Islamist type. These most probably include many foreigners (mainly Syrians), who spent several years fighting in Syria and Iraq and then fled to Turkey with the defeat of ISIS. If any kind of secularist revolt happens against Erdogan, my guess is that it will be put down easily and brutally, with help from these war-hardened terrorists who are of course ideologically loyal to Erdogan. Does anyone here actually think that Erdogan has ever been serious about fighting Islamist terrorism ?! 

The West has sadly mostly been quiet when it came to atrocities, human rights violations, etc. committed by Erdogan (they have been quiet mainly due to the 'refugee/migrant factor'). I don't see this changing.

I don't see much hope for Turkey unfortunately. The only hope might be for a significant number of Erdogan's current supporters turning away from him in the near future. It might happen, but maybe 10-20 percent chance.

Edited by JemJem
  • Like 2

be a bit positive.

bigot erdogan was controlling everything before this election too where he lost.

and his grip meant nothing and in a city like Istanbul run by AKP and everything AKP. still opposition won and won two times in a row.

after this big slap to erdogan, my hopes are greater for Turkey as most people awaken and not scare of the fascist tactics anymore.

world is watching too.

in 2023 elections (i expect it in 2022) erdogan will lose. this election blow marked the end of AKP.

2 factions from AKP is forming two different parties as well. which is another major blow to AKP and Erdogan. AKP is divided. 1/4 of its current parliament members of AKP rumored to move tho these two new liberal center right parties.

Soon, hopefully, AKP will be history together with Erdogan. with all my hopes.

Kudos for the opposition in Turkey that worked very hard to achieve this.

Erdogan started his political career as the major of istanbul 25 years ago, like Ekrem Imamoglu now.

As Erdogan always say: Whoever wins istanbul, wins Turkey.'

6 hours ago, Galactus said:

be a bit positive.

bigot erdogan was controlling everything before this election too where he lost.

and his grip meant nothing and in a city like Istanbul run by AKP and everything AKP. still opposition won and won two times in a row.

after this big slap to erdogan, my hopes are greater for Turkey as most people awaken and not scare of the fascist tactics anymore.

world is watching too.

in 2023 elections (i expect it in 2022) erdogan will lose. this election blow marked the end of AKP.

2 factions from AKP is forming two different parties as well. which is another major blow to AKP and Erdogan. AKP is divided. 1/4 of its current parliament members of AKP rumored to move tho these two new liberal center right parties.

Soon, hopefully, AKP will be history together with Erdogan. with all my hopes.

Kudos for the opposition in Turkey that worked very hard to achieve this.

Erdogan started his political career as the major of istanbul 25 years ago, like Ekrem Imamoglu now.

As Erdogan always say: Whoever wins istanbul, wins Turkey.'

You are too optimistic.

I am sure that you know that there are still dozens of political prisoners in various Turkish jails, including many HDP politicians and activists. You are saying that the world is watching. No, they are not watching (I mean at least the ones who can make a difference are not watching). They haven't threatened Erdogan even with the slightest of sanctions until now, even when the HDP ex-leaders Demirtas and Yuksekdag were arrested and put in jail (and they are still in jail) ! It is likely that very very few of the political prisoners will be released anytime soon.

And, what about Afrin ? Afrin has been under Turkish (and its semi-jihadi proxies) occupation for quite long time now. What has the West said about this ? Basically nothing.

And, what about the general rights and priviliges of the people in Turkey ? They continue to be eroded (or I mean, at least, the current suppressive state of rights and priviliges is unlikely to change).

No, I am not that hopeful. I will say my classical line : 'I hope time (time that is not too long) will prove my gloomy guesses wrong'. But I am afraid it won't.

Well, of course, eventually, Erdogan will go/be defeated, but maybe only after MANY MANY YEARS. And, think of the damage that will be done by then.