Genius or joker? British PM favorite Johnson set to face the world

Jonathan Fairfield

7 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Yeah, like 'sense' has resulted in sterling falling to 38.55 against the baht as at today's prices. I guess we're in for more crashes if a no deal occurs.

At least ONE thing the British are good in...

I remember in 1971 as student hiking from Dover till Inverness: 1 pound was DM 11,81 ( /2 = € 5,91). Nov 2015: € 1,43 and … sinking towards one once.

image.png.f50f84c5a21e22e3be719ba6d00d3202.png

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

So we have established you want to get rid of us, quite frankly I find that very difficult to take on board. What you say and what you post are two very different things, why would anyone as opinionated as you go to great lengths in trying to convince us Brits that we are making a monumental mistake, it just doesn't hold water. I suspect there are other reasons that you are not divulging, because you do come across as slightly petulant and bitter. 

Things maybe not going as fast as you would wish, but that's the way of the world, we are doing are very best to get out of your beloved EU. But going on and on and on and on about it is not going to speed things up. You should work more on your Anglo/Dutch relations, they appear to be a little fractious.

ah.. at least one who got awake...

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

When you quote my post in a reply, please do not modify it, there's a good chap.

I am somewhat struggling to understand just how anyone could have misunderstood my post to come up with your accusation of me 'having a chip'. In fact, I started out the very paragraph you quoted with the words 'Very few, I believe, would begrudge you the start you had in life'.

I thought I made it clear in the following sentences that my ire was directed at those who believed they were destined to become Masters of the Universe, and the system that allows them to accomplish this, even though, in reality, they have neither the skills nor the wit to actually perform in the positions to which they aspire. Meanwhile, many eminently more qualified and skilled people get pushed aside because they do not have the correct pedigree. My beef certainly isn't with public schools themselves. 

Because the reality is, if Boris Johnson is truly the best that the UK has to offer, then we are well and truly scuppered. 

For the record, in Post #51 above I quoted your previous post IN FULL and merely highlighted in bold the sentence that I took as the essence of the post that warranted comment. I did not modify it in any way that would change anyone's perception of what you wrote.

You disparaged Boris and people "of his ilk" in the context of those who had been to public school and you impugned certain characteristics of such people that you evidently do not like. I merely pointed out that those characteristics are well worth having.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Antonymous said:

For the record, in Post #51 above I quoted your previous post IN FULL and merely highlighted in bold the sentence that I took as the essence of the post that warranted comment. I did not modify it in any way that would change anyone's perception of what you wrote.

You disparaged Boris and people "of his ilk" in the context of those who had been to public school and you impugned certain characteristics of such people that you evidently do not like. I merely pointed out that those characteristics are well worth having.

You are completely within the rules to shorten a quoted post, as long as you don't change the context.

See rule 16

• Like 1

There was an article in the Australian media excoriating Boris Johnson as lazy and dishonest.

I don't have an an opinion either way. If he's a problem, it's the Brits' problem.

I have enough on my plate with a god-bothering PM called ScoMo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While Boris may not be the ideal choice he certainly ain't the worst politician around. Good people no longer go into politics because it's so poisoned now.

Some do start with good intentions but the system drags them down.

Hence losers like Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, David Cameron and the unloveable May get to be in charge of the madhouse.

Boris is no better or worse than any of the other suits in parliament, but he is more flamboyant, and that's why I would vote for him.

You mean if a more flamboyant idiot shows up they get  your vote?

And you bemoan the politicians who represent you. 

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You mean if a more flamboyant idiot shows up they get  your vote?

And you bemoan the politicians who represent you. 

Yes. I'd vote for the Marx brothers if they were  reincarnated and stood for parliament. Probably be better than some of the clowns already in there.

I wish there were some statesmen ( or women ) to lead us in the countries of the world, but there aren't, so it doesn't really matter who we vote for, IMO. It's come down to a battle between which candidate is least bad, but there is little difference on either side. They all like to spend other people's money, while interfering in our lives with bad laws.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, puipuitom said:

The biggist gift for years: finally to get rid of the British.... We should have better listened to Charles de Gaulle.

"Boris Johnson called the French "turds" and accused them of "shafting Britain" during filming for a BBC documentary series while he was U.K. foreign minister, reported the Daily Mail."

Asked at a Tory leadership hustings about the comment, Johnson said he had "no recollection" of having said it.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, stephenterry said:

How many more Boris posts by Jonathan Fairfield - who I suspect is a big fan of his, and wants to keep Boris in the headlines?

This post is a typical example of proclaiming Johnson's virtues, and laughing off the negatives. Well, Jonathan, I don't buy it, sorry.

Correct, soo boring .  etc ...

Edited by elliss

12 hours ago, vogie said:

I do not judge a person by his or her accent, if I was to do so it would be considered shallow and certainly wrong of me.

Point taken ,  Cameron would be your ideal candidate for PM.

A colleague of Boris said on Talk Radio last night that local bookies originally had Boris at 8/1 but the odds were now down to 4/1 that he will be elected Prime Minister and will serve less than 6 months. Indeed there have been bets that he wont even last a month. Trump will suck Chump in and blown him out in bubbles. No wonder he supports him.

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the problem are not people like Trump or BJ, etc..

The problem are the people who vote those jokers into high positions.

I guess it could be funny at a party with Trump, BJ and others. Stupid jokes, funny stories, etc.

But why would anybody give important jobs to those jokers?

If you would need someone to repair your car would you chose a good but maybe boring mechanic or the funny guy next door?

And how about if you need an operation? Would you chose the doctor who talks a lot and who tells you he can do everything? Or would you look for someone with experience?

And if you have to elect the PM or president, who would you chose? It seems lots of people don't care about qualifications or experience for the most important job in a country. They vote for the jokers. So who is to blame? The jokers or the stupid people?

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "trump johnson"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Oops. Gravitas. Boris (as well as you) would have corrected me, because I failed miserably at learning Latin. Best I got to was - Quid me anxius sum.

Source - Mad magazine.

Well I don't think Boris reads TV. But the spell checker is there all the time to help you.