Transferwise.. No Guarantee

This has been reported here before.

I also remember that somebody said he contacts Transferwise when doing the transfer, and they will then make sure that it goes directly into his Bangkok bank account, but don't remember the details anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This has been reported here before.

I also remember that somebody said he contacts Transferwise when doing the transfer, and they will then make sure that it goes directly into his Bangkok bank account, but don't remember the details anymore.

I remember hearing the same thing. Not sure how you do that. But, the fact remains. The damage is done. No way to fix it. Just glad I have a 2nd option. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhonThong said:

In all fairness, I was one that defended the idea that Bangkok Bank was a sure bet. Needless to say, I have changed my tune.

What has this got to do with BKB? They are on the receiving end.

Probably the issue lies with TW.

• Like 1

When i use Transferwise from the UK to my Kasikorn statement says DUMMY BRANCH with a 3 letter and 5 number code MCL12345 for example.

You can print a PDF receipt from the Transferwise app and it shows the money came from a UK account and has been sent to my Kasikorn account with the account number. 

It also says it was delivered via a local bank transfer and the partner bank is TMB (THB)

Edited by misterphil
Update
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, featography said:

I just did my 9th transfer thru TransferWise and every one of them posts as a FTT. I have had conversations  before with TW personnel and can share that they have always used 3 banks in Thailand, Bangkok Bank, TMB and BBL. Everyone that I have interacted with in Thailand that has transfers post as in country transfers were using TMB or BBL banks. For those folks as well as us Bangkok Bank account holders, can go on to TW site and print every transaction done, and with a printout of home bank deposits and transfers, I am confident it will fly. I extend my visa in November, so I will be putting this to the test. 

That will probably work, as long as you can provide the truth in form of evidence, which your copy of transactions through TW must be.

When i use Transferwise from the UK to my Kasikorn statement says DUMMY BRANCH with a 3 letter and 5 number code MCL12345 for example.

You can print a PDF receipt from the Transferwise app and it shows the money came from a UK account and has been sent to my Kasikorn account with the account number. 

It also says it was delivered via a local bank transfer and the partner bank is TMB (THB)
Doesn't mean immigration will accept that. There has been many threads on it

28 minutes ago, featography said:

I just did my 9th transfer thru TransferWise and every one of them posts as a FTT.

In July?  Every report for transfer this month that I have seen reports they now appear as SMART transfers and not international for Bangkok Bank and Transferwise confirmed that they were using a new system so not to expect any change back to old system.  So if the SMART transfers are not accepted for income proof a lot of people will have issues, including myself.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PhonThong said:

I remember hearing the same thing. Not sure how you do that. But, the fact remains. The damage is done. No way to fix it. Just glad I have a 2nd option. 

What damage. None of my T/W deposits to Krungsri show up as foreign remittances.

Simple answer. Download the T/W transaction slip and staple to bank statement. Absolute proof of a deposit from abroad.

• Haha 1

I greatly doubt that immigration will accept anything other than monthly transfers totalling 65k+ or 40k+ (amount depending on your extension) all coded as international by your bank.

While it would certainly be nice if immigration were to consider some other information, don't hold your breath, they probably will not.

you had better have a backup plan in place.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

What damage. None of my T/W deposits to Krungsri show up as foreign remittances.

Simple answer. Download the T/W transaction slip and staple to bank statement. Absolute proof of a deposit from abroad.

Good luck with that.

Do please let us know if it works.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
36 minutes ago, misterphil said:

Doesn't mean immigration will accept that. There has been many threads on it

Has it been tried?

Prove it has and prove it hasnt. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

TransferWise will set up a specific recipient only using Bangkok Bank if you ask them which always shows as a FTT and then Bangkok Bank will give you a Credit Advice confirming this. Has worked for me for the last 12 transfers. But you need to ask them to specifically set up the recipient for you.

Things appear to have changed - Bangkok Bank deposits do not seem to be coded FTT anymore and what has worked previously is no guarantee in any case; as immigration has been asked to be liberal this year.  It is next year that many of us have to be concerned with.

48 minutes ago, featography said:

I just did my 9th transfer thru TransferWise and every one of them posts as a FTT. I have had conversations  before with TW personnel and can share that they have always used 3 banks in Thailand, Bangkok Bank, TMB and BBL. Everyone that I have interacted with in Thailand that has transfers post as in country transfers were using TMB or BBL banks. For those folks as well as us Bangkok Bank account holders, can go on to TW site and print every transaction done, and with a printout of home bank deposits and transfers, I am confident it will fly. I extend my visa in November, so I will be putting this to the test. 

BBl = Bangkok Bank.

Maybe you mean Kasikorn?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Black arab said:

12 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

TransferWise will set up a specific recipient only using Bangkok Bank if you ask them which always shows as a FTT and then Bangkok Bank will give you a Credit Advice confirming this. Has worked for me for the last 12 transfers. But you need to ask them to specifically set up the recipient for you.

Not anymore.  I just spoke with TW.  They have changed the way they code things and will not change it again.  They claim it is to make things faster and cheaper.  According to TW, you will no longer get FTT coding.  I explained out situation here and they did not seem to care.

As far as downloading statements from TW for immigration, I have no experience with that or it will actually make a difference.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Pib said:

But those Transferwise PDF receipts (easily forged) are not "Thai bank documents" required by the immigration police order/guidance.

But they could easily call us on that if suspected and require download at special desk as proof positive.  Having that known as a possibility believe would stop most. 

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But they could easily call us on that if suspected and require download at special desk as proof positive.  Having that known as a possibility believe would stop most. 

I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt they are going to say logon to your Transferwise account from the immigration computer in corner so the immigration officer can confirm/compare.   Maybe do that also for some one wanting to proof they did do a SWIFT transfer from their home country bank but it didn't get coded as such on the Thai end.  Etc....etc....etc.

I figure immigration offices are either going to accept foreign docs or not accept them.   There will no "can you logon to your account in the home country while I look over your should so I can personally confirm the docs are not fake/modified.

• Like 1