Love of country? Or a political stunt? Trump holiday speech divides Americans

webfact

Love of country? Or a political stunt? Trump holiday speech divides Americans

By Jonas Ekblom and Bryan Pietsch

2019-07-04T235945Z_4_LYNXNPEF631JU_RTROPTP_4_USA-JULYFOURTH-TRUMP.JPG

President Donald Trump concludes his remarks while First Lady Melania Trump applauds as they welcome military families who have gathered for a Fourth of July picnic on the South Lawn of the White House prior to a fireworks display, in Washington, U.S., July 4, 2017. REUTERS/Mike Theiler

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Jan Shairrick and two friends drove more than a thousand miles from southern Arkansas to join President Donald Trump's "Salute to America" Independence Day celebrations in Washington.

Some residents of the capital, however, stayed well away from the nearby festivities for fear of being wrongly identified as Trump supporters.

Trump has injected himself into this year's Fourth of July celebrations by planning a speech in front of the Lincoln Memorial and organising a show of military power that includes a display of tanks and a flyover of fighter jets.

Critics accused Trump of hijacking and politicizing a traditionally nonpartisan holiday. Supporters said he was merely showing love for the country and its military.

"It's just a celebration of America," said Shairrick, sporting a "Trump 2020" baseball cap, a reference to the presidential election in November next year.

She and her friends all wore Trump merchandise and took refuge in one of the few shady spots along the route for the Independence Day parade on Constitution Avenue.

They said they saw no reason to protest Trump's plans for this year's event.

"The military protects us," said one friend, Debra Dickson, who has several family members in the military.

Just a mile east, residents of the Capitol Hill neighbourhood had their own, much smaller parade on Thursday morning and many said they would not attend the "Salute to America" because they felt the July 4 celebrations had been taken over by Trump.

"This year we're not going," said Irina, a resident who said she usually takes her two young children to the concert by the U.S. Capitol and watches the fireworks display over the National Mall.

"This is the holiday that unites all Americans but it seems that's not what is happening today unfortunately," she said, declining to give her last name.

'BABY TRUMP'

Code Pink, an organisation that says it works to end U.S. wars and militarism, filled up a large diapered "Baby Trump" balloon on the National Mall in protest.

Medea Benjamin, a protester with the group, said the presence of tanks on the street scared her. "Where are we going as a nation? I don’t like it at all."

Along the July 4th parade route, where vendors sold bright-red "Make America Great Again" hats, many had no such concerns.

Susan DeGraff from Hockessin, Delaware, said she liked Trump's involvement in the celebrations. "He's absolutely not politicizing the event," she said. "He's the president!"

Schoolteacher Tiffany O'Brien travelled from Deerfield Beach, Florida just for the celebrations. "I think he loves the country and he wants everyone else to love it as well."

The July 4 holiday, which celebrates the anniversary of the U.S. founders declaring independence from Britain in 1776, has by tradition not been a day when the president takes centre stage.

The last time a U.S. president spoke during celebrations in the capital was in 1951 when Harry Truman celebrated the 175th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

In a series of tweets this week, Trump said the event on Thursday would be "the show of a lifetime" and that "perhaps even Air Force One will do a low & loud sprint over the crowd." Air Force One is the presidential plane.

(Reporting by Jonas Ekblom and Bryan Pietsch; Editing by Kieran Murray and Howard Goller)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-05

Interestingly even the article on this event in FOXnews website has quite a negative tone to the whole thing and its meaning.

I just don't get what these things achieve that's useful to a countries citizens, whether it be in France, Russia, N. Korea, USA or wherever.

15 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Got that right and we're probably stuck with the Nattering Nabobs of Negativism for the next 6 years. 

Yep, whining conspiracist trump supporters going on about Soros et al

Edited by simple1
  • Haha 1

Do wish he would at least run through speech handed to him before reading it.

Yeah, those revolutionary soldiers capturing airports. Forward thinking!

Star Spangled banner is from war of 1812, not revolution

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not divided in the least. Previous Presidents did what they wanted, Trump did what he wanted. Everybody that was in the area enjoyed a wonderful fireworks shop.  God Bless America!!

I'm glad I'm here and don't have to listen to the crap over there. Glad I don't have CNN or BBC anymore.  Thankfully, Thailand, still believes in maintaining the borders and the sanctity of their citizens. Also glad they are recognizing more of the stateless people who have been here for years.

• Like 2

According to him, Trump is a genius. So, it’s quite puzzling he doesn’t seem to have a grasp of U.S. history. But then to know history you must read.

Most Presidents spend a lifetime studying their political heroes and the countries history. Trump however has only dedicated his life to the worlds of real estate and reality television. I suspect that his followers believe Trump knows the facts but he’s just testing us to see if we know our stuff????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

America has been long divided well before Trump has emerged, with too much free speech, most of it hate speech, way too much demands for entitlements and the me, me, me spoiled generation that doesn't see anything beyond the screens of their mobile devices and what social media de jour is feeding them with, and someone once said, you got the leader you deserves...

that's a world wide phenomenon (in countries where you can speak your mind) 

8 hours ago, Postmodernantique said:

It's ALL politics.  Air Force One has been used by every president as a show of political mite.  No matter what is said or done, those who hate Trump will hate everything he does.  Those who love Trump will love everything he does.  Now the ANTIFA morons are protesting Soros for not paying them to try to divide the country.  His influence is far worse than anything the Russians could've done.

I agree with most of what you say, but if you happen to see any of the old Trump interviews from 20-30+ years ago, he has always been a very patriotic guy.  Having worked many armed POTUS and VPOTUS details along side the Secret Service, there is definitely a political mite to AF1...  On Soros, you are so spot on!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, expatfromwyoming said:

According to him, Trump is a genius. So, it’s quite puzzling he doesn’t seem to have a grasp of U.S. history. But then to know history you must read.

Most Presidents spend a lifetime studying their political heroes and the countries history. Trump however has only dedicated his life to the worlds of real estate and reality television. I suspect that his followers believe Trump knows the facts but he’s just testing us to see if we know our stuff????

trump is clearly not a genius because if he were he would be a prolific member of the thai visa forum. sadly his qualifications falls woefully short

• Thanks 1

You know why he did this? Because he knew people would hate it. That is what he sits around and thinks about as president, "what can I do that they would hate, ahh! I know, throw an ostentatious parade, piss the greenies off by paying for it with national park money....". 

That is the level of imbecile we are dealing with. 

• Like 1

I wanna know a few things, 

1. dont they have to tell tax payers how much things cost?

2. he can just decide to take money from a park for political purposes? I thought congress had to appropriate funds.