Holiday from hell: How eating Pad Thai from food court in Thailand left Aussie couple with debilitating illness

webfact

14 minutes ago, londonthai said:

Almost impossible to get a parasite from a freshly cooked meal. More likely from sushi, undercooked fish or meat. From contaminated water or unwashed fruit, vegetable salad. 

Their dragged going to doctors and getting just a simple antibiotic for 4 weeks. Over the last 2 years their infection spread, should be treated as soon as they got their first symptoms without affecting their lifes. 

On the first visit to doctors they should point out that they came back from a tropical country and a simple laboratory test will show this parasite. 

The story smell fake, hard to believe their delayed treatment and doctors incompetence

You forgot Mayonnaise a young girl some years ago thought she would stay safe and just eat chips and mayonnaise she didn't manage to get home 

• Like 1

I never ate street food when I lived in Thailand (except fruit), I also never got sick. How long has the raw food been out of the refrigerator or freezer. Where does the operator of the food stall go to the toilet and where do they wash their hands?

Another thing worth knowing when flying, most airlines in the world ban seafood from pilot's on-duty diets.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

When you get food poisoning ,you get it within an hour or so , not days later when you get home ,so their story is a load of rubbish.

Not always, but certainly not 4 weeks later.....

• Like 1

It's unfair and premature to rubbish a whole country just because they claim they got sick from one dish, parasite can be picked up just about anywhere unsanitary and when you're traveling, there are many such places, to me it looks like sour grapes not happy with Thailand and take it out on a country with 40 million visitors a year with a very little health issues...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

At the fourth time of asking, the couple finally found a doctor who was willing to treat their illness and who put them on a 4 week course of antibiotics. 

They had to ask 4 times to get treated. Thats a cause for concern. Better treatment available out here.

• Like 2