Thai consumers more than ready for 5G: survey

webfact

By Jirapan Boonnoon
The Nation

800_507a0fd5afbd87b.jpeg?v=1562688263

A recent survey shows that there will be as many as 1.9 billion 5G subscribers globally in the next five years, and that in Thailand the technology will also be applied in the business world.

Wuttichai Wutti-Udomlert, head of network solutions at Ericsson Thailand, said the 5G network was laid down in South Korea earlier this year, and it is already being used in the US and most of Europe, which should encourage local mobile operators to lay down the 5G infrastructure in Thailand. 

According to a survey involving 35,000 respondents in 22 countries, including 1,500 in Thailand, Ericsson said it believes that by 2024, to 65 per cent of the global population will be using 5G and that 95 per cent of data traffic will be transmitted via 5G technology by the end of 2024. 

The survey was conducted on smartphone users aged between 15 and 69. 

The consumption of data is also expected to increase 82 per cent year on year by 2024, reaching 131 exabytes (EB) per month, while video on demand (VoD) and streaming services will account for 75 per cent of mobile data traffic. 

“We believe the 5G subscription take-up will be faster than 4G, as it will offer new provisions for various sectors such as automotive, healthcare and entertainment,” Wuttichai said. 

He said that there are 7.9 billion mobile subscribers across the world (the global population as of April 2019 stood at 7.7 billion), and around 47 per cent use the 4G-LTE network. Of the 1.54 billion subscribers in Asia-Pacific, Philippines has shown the highest growth.  

In Thailand, the survey showed that most mobile users expect 5G technology to be available in a couple of years and that half of them will be ready to switch providers within six months if their operator doesn’t offer the technology. 

Thai mobile users are also willing to pay 30 per cent more for selected 5G services, while 50 per cent of the local respondents said they are willing to pay Bt150 extra in fees. The survey also showed that consumers were looking for new 5G-ready applications and services, and will gladly pay for the privilege of using them. 

Also, some 76 per cent of Thai consumers believe they will be wearing augmented reality (AR) glasses instead of using mobile phones by 2025. Most of the Thai respondents also said that they will start watching high-definition streamed content once 5G is available. 

He added that 88 per cent of the respondents believe they will be making 3D holographic calls on a weekly basis, while 13 per cent believe hologram video calls will replace normal video calls. Some 66 per cent of the respondents believe 5G connectivity in vehicles will be as important as fuel efficiency and that smartphone users in Thailand will consume up to 130GB per month on a 5G device. 

“There is growing awareness about 5G technology globally. I think average mobile data usage with 5G devices may increase 10-fold to 70GB per month in Thailand and that 5G uptake will be faster than expected. The top three industries in Thailand that will adopt 5G to support their business will be manufacturers that utilise robotics followed by services such as smart monitoring and public safety,” Wuttichai said. 

He added that Ericsson has signed 24 commercial 5G contracts across the world.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/edandtech/30372677

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-10

I dropped into a True store yesterday and asked the lady when 5G would be available in Hua Hin, she stammered out "Maybe next year."  I'm sure the big boys at HQ have some plans but it hasn't been communicated down the line.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

This isn't what the article says.

• The report is based on responses from 35,000 smartphone users aged 15-69, spanning 22 countries, as well as 22 expert interviews for industry perspective. About 4,500 respondents were from the U.S., representing opinions from about 160 million smartphone users (my bold).  https://www.ecnmag.com/data-focus/2019/05/consumers-see-5g-value-expect-more-speed-ericsson-report

I couldn't find any survey details by country that would indicate survey results in Thailand.

From another source regarding consumer awareness:

https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/news/ericsson-boasts-of-high-consumer-expectations-pricing-window-for-5g/2019/05/

• Of the smartphone users surveyed globally, seven out of every 10 said they were excited about the possibility of 5G being available in their markets soon, while four in every 10 expect 5G to be available in their market within a year,
  • Roughly 40% of those surveyed said 4G speeds are too slow and not meeting expectations.
  • 67% of all respondents said they were willing to pay for relevant 5G-powered apps and services.

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I just signed a year's contract with 3BBB which states 5G.  I watch internet TV through a box and it's exactly the same as the crap TOT which I junked because of the frequent stuttering & stalling.

Doesn't the box use a LAN connection with a digital cable?

Whereas 5G is delivered wireless to smartphones.

• Like 1

I'm guessing this will be like 4G and 3G before it, where they sell you a 5G phone but where there is no actual 5G service for a few years until they build the infrastructure. Has the auction of the bandwidth actually taken place yet?

7 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Down loading at speeds so quickly, 5g 

my analogy is the

" the hare and the tortoise "

except in this race, the hare runs and never stops.

More like rabbits in the headlights. And about as safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guitar God said:

When trains were invented in the 1800’s there were doctors saying people would die and from not being able to breath and women’s uteruses would come flying out when the train stopped. 

In the 60’s people were convinced that watching TV would cause myopia. 

In the 70’s people were saying that high voltage transmission towers would cause cancer. 

In the 80’s, microwave ovens were supposed to make men sterile. 

In the 90’s cellphones were going to cause brain tumors. 

Now 5G is going to end life on Earth as we know it. 

None of these fears were warranted. 

If you think 5G radio waves are going to cook you like a microwave dinner you need to read up in the inverse square law as it relates to electromagnetic transmission (intensity decreases with the square of the distance),  and learn how microwaves work. They operate a 2.45 GHz because that’s the resonant frequency of water molecules so it excites them causing to heat. 

I worked in the advanced engineering lab for Litton industries and I’ve also held a first class radio telephone license since the late 70’s. I think I’m qualified to comment on this. 

Gee I wonder why 5g has been banned in Brussels....The leaders of the EU sure do not want any thing to do with 5g but they are happy to force 5g on the rest of the EU....

2 hours ago, JoeIskor said:

Why 4g is not enough for them?

I live here and have 5G and am pleased with it.  They already have 4G but there are many improvements with 5G including, speed, range and power.  Perhaps a little research would help you understand.  For example 5G takes much less battery power so my head set lasts days longer.  Get it?  

I think a goodly proportion of the Thai population needs to FIRST learn how to properly use bank ATMS machines -- which have only been around for decades -- before they start muddling with 5G phones and technology.  :whistling:

Or at least learn how to safely and properly drive their cars.... trains,... boats... motorcycles, etc...

50 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think a goodly proportion of the Thai population needs to FIRST learn how to properly use bank ATMS machines -- which have only been around for decades -- before they start muddling with 5G phones and technology.  :whistling:

Or at least learn how to safely and properly drive their cars.... trains,... boats... motorcycles, etc...

From what I see with phones, ATM's and INTERNET speed they are way ahead of America in this respect.  I pay for Lazada cash with my phone when it arrives.  My kids in America don't do that yet.  I have 5g at home and my screen resolution on my tablets and smart phones and TV is way better than my children in the States.  

Edited by marcusarelus

Of course they are ready for 5G. Now they know that it´s possible to view 500 Facebook posts per hour instead of only 465. They also understand that they can chat all day and manage to send 4560 messages in 12 hours instead of only 3957. Hip hip hurrey for 5G. Another much better, smarter and faster generation of Mobile Zombies!

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Guitar God said:

I worked in the advanced engineering lab for Litton industries and I’ve also held a first class radio telephone license since the late 70’s. I think I’m qualified to comment on this.  

thank god another and RF geek like me. you would not believe all the antennas i have hidden at my house.