Crackdown! Tourists in Pattaya face jail for riding motorcycles without a licence

Jonathan Fairfield

pattaya police station by the beach bars/beach rd,just sit they and watch.everyday police wait and stop farangs for a license only,helmets maybe.thais maybe if no helmet.going on for years and tea money for the police.cm is no different regular check points same spot usually.i know them most times.in cm everyday by maya never fear license check.i have my helmet on license ready.they get the ones who rent a scooter back packers tourist.no license pay the fine just here good for 7 days.thks for the donations. the  one by maya was by the lights and now alittle further down but same area same time.if you go to Thailand  learn the rules and carry a international license.then the tea money says in your pocket

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Not such a great question really when you think of it. The reason that unlicensed Thais aren’t threatened with prison time is simply because of the huge number of Thais driving around without licenses (both adults and children) and there wouldn’t be enough space in the jails in the whole of Thailand to accommodate them.

Policeman said to me a long time ago, what's the point in fining them they dont have any money in Phuket where the fines are higher 

Fining the rental shops is not new around here, the one lady I know who has quiet a big rental company has been fined a couple of times in the early days 2000 Baht she doesn't rent now without all the doc's

• Like 2

Conversation on my last visit earlier this year:

'Rent a bike Sir?'

"No thanks mate, I don't have the right license."

'No problem Sir, if you get stopped, keep the ticket and pay at the Police station last day. Much cheaper.'

I get around on the baht buses but then again I'm not a lairy 20 year-old.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Not such a great question really when you think of it. The reason that unlicensed Thais aren’t threatened with prison time is simply because of the huge number of Thais driving around without licenses (both adults and children) and there wouldn’t be enough space in the jails in the whole of Thailand to accommodate them.

Build more Prisons for them. 

• Like 1