Thai media report "Irishman" on 4,000 day overstay - GoFundMe started to help him

webfact

Thai media report "Irishman" on 4,000 day overstay - GoFundMe started to help him

1pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported that Nakorn Ratchasima Immigration and the tourist police had arrested an Irishman at a restaurant in Soi Moo Ban Yamo 5, Ban Mai, Nakorn Ratchasima.

A check of the PIBICS system revealed that Samuel Caleb Birch was on an overstay of 4,192 days.

The media said that he had come into Thailand through Pedang Besar (on the Thai Malaysia border) on January 17th 2008 with permission to stay until 15th April 2008. 

A GoFundMe account has been started for Mr Birch by a friend called Annie Radford and news of this appeal has been circulating on expat sites in Thailand. 

Thaivisa understands that Mr Birch - who uses a different name on Facebook -  is from Taunton in Somerset and has two young children. He has a Thai wife.

Last night he was in contact with Thaivisa from his detention cell. He said that he was not a demon and was a good father who was just trying to help his family.

He said that he had been treated very well by the Thai authorities.

He said that things had gone off the rails when both his parents died this year. He promised more details today.

The Go Fund Me account had a target of 1000 pounds sterling and as of this morning the page indicated that four people had donated 260 pounds. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-16
  • Haha 2

Someone knows how to game the system. Maybe he thought no visa, no 90day, no tm30, no extension. I can easily stay here for 11 years ????

Wonder why he did not get bored not to go somewhere else, esp. to his home country, in all that time. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Was he just sitting there having a meal and they walked in or what?

That was my first thought.  I have never been sitting in a restaurant and had anyone come in and asked for my passport. Read similar quite often.

3 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

That was my first thought.  I have never been sitting in a restaurant and had anyone come in and asked for my passport. Read similar quite often.

Me too 20 years of living here, did someone drop him in it?

• Like 2

It is not just the overstay, how has he financed himself? was he illegally working? paid his taxes?

Certainly must been a drain on society if he can not find £1,000 without resorting to "Go Fund Me"

Nether mind he can claim benefits when he gets back to Somerset and even more if he brings his kids back with him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

I wonder how he made money to support and "help his family" since 2008? 

He did not leave Thailand during that time according to his passport stamp.

He has been working 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Basil B said:

It is not just the overstay, how has he financed himself? was he illegally working? paid his taxes?

Certainly must been a drain on society if he can not find £1,000 without resorting to "Go Fund Me"

Nether mind he can claim benefits when he gets back to Somerset and even more if he brings his kids back with him.

There is another problem do the kids have British passports? Im not sure about claiming benefits having been out of the country so long

• Like 2

He is over 10 years on overstay but things went badly this year after his parents died? What happened to previous 9 years?

for the life of me I do not understand why people put themselves in such predicaments.

if it’s financial , is it not wiser to return to home country to provide better care for kids ?

• Like 2