"They must have gone to the temples instead!" - Pattaya as dead as a dodo in the holidays

webfact

Next week they will tell us that business is down by 130%.   I have found it difficult to find a Thai who has a clue as to how to calculate percentages.

To be fair, I do recall during 'the "Icelandic Cod War" of whenever, a Billingsgate fishmonger did report on the BBC News that fish supplies were down 200%.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobboR said:

No never eaten there, in fact it's been a few years since I last visited Pattaya. 

I have eaten in a lot of malls over the years though and they are just not for me.

Terminal 21 is a mall built around the food court.  Different approach.  Best to experience before acting like a know it all.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Daveyh said:

No one will come now due to the over valued baht & better holidays can be found elsewhere for your money. It's becoming well known now how dirty most holiday venues have become here, especially the beaches, which many visitors refuse to swim in.

Here's why;

1. A beach should be clean & the water free of sewage ...... it's not

2. The friendly vendors & people on the beach ........... attitude is all wrong

3. Facilities for beach goers is non-existent ............ toilets etc are miles away (mostly in malls), so many go in the sea.

4. The area is infested with rodents of all types & dead rats can been seen most days on foot paths & street.

It's a really sad fact. You can not blame people for not going to the beach here. Also, the islands are becoming just as bad. It may be because of too many tourists, who knows? The tourists Thailand is welcoming today do not care about the environment, they continue to throw their rubbish on the floor, spit everywhere & have certainly brought their manners with them. I stay away from tourist areas now ...... it's too crowded, too noisy & the bad manners are in abundance. It's certainly no longer a fun place to be ........ sad fact.

It was that way 10 years ago.  I know I lived in Pattaya 3 years.  I think the flooding was worse a few years ago.  More violence too.  Now is much better with better shopping and less flooding and less Western people but you now have the low priced Western currencies that make travel too expensive.  All that't left to do is carp about Thailand since you can't afford to do it in person like we all used to do.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Mickc said:

Been living here a while, I also know good food and what I'm paying for... was nothing over the top my wife just wanted to eat near the beach... honestly eating fish n chips in the sand on st.kilda beach in melbourne would have cost a out the same price... wouldn't have stank and been an overall better experience... my point is... this is why people are not coming back. Why fly 8 hours or more to have better experiences at home.

Food was always sub standard in any open restaurant by the beach.  Go inside at Hopf next time and have a good meal and locally produced wheat beer.  That's what the locals do.  Or go away from the beach and eat at a decent French restaurant.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mickc said:

I was there last week, there was but a handful of tourists around the beach and restaurants. I ate with my wife opposite the beach with hardly a tourist in sight... now, given the price that we paid for our food the experience was extremely underwhelming... poor service in restaurant (we were the only ones in it) the beach STINKS to high heaven, my thai wife complained about it more than I did, the sea was brown all this whilst being harrassed by street vendors... I live here and I love Thailand, but for what I paid I can go elsewhere, pay less and have a better overall experience. They need to realise, it's not that people aren't coming... people are not coming back.. westerners are not tolerant of certain conditions especially when your $ doesnt go as far.

During the pre-internet days, poor service, pollution, scams, crimes, corrupt cops and alike were hidden from many people. Now, the good or bad news is often broadcasted live. The tourism industry and government has only itself to blame in many instances.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kim J said:

I think you are just backing up  what Mickc is saying. The local food as he says is now overpriced and as you say yourself "sub standard". now you talk about Hopf and "a decent French Restaurant". Well I have to say You will find that also they are priced at similar and in many cases higher levels than what people can get in their own countries. So indeed why travel hours on aeroplanes?

Also pricing aside what is classed as "a decent French restaurant" in Pattaya, or for that matter any other variety of restaurant selling farrang food here, do not have standards of service or food quality that comes anything near to the real thing that Europeans can get in their own countries. the locals in most cases will know no better, however we do.

Pizza and beer at the Hopf are equivalent to what you get in Europe.  And I imagine if you are buying with baht in Europe probably less money.  

Who but tourists would eat at a beach or walking street place in Pattaya.  I got ripped off at those lobster places 20 years ago, I imagine still the same.

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Haha 1

My wife is in Thailand at the moment with our 2 kids, she's there for 4 weeks, first 2 days & last 3 days in BKK the rest of the time she's up at her family's house in Nakhon Phanom, she's changing money as she needs it and is getting around 39baht to the £. If it wasn't for the fact that I got such a good deal on the flights and she hadn't seen her family for 3 1/2 years she wouldn't have went.

• Confused 1