The Aussie Rules Football Thread - The Greatest Game On Earth

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen AussieThaid pop into this forum yet - probably too ashamed to say anything after the bombers dismal performance of late :o

CB

I'm here, lurking in the background..

Dons by 12 pts tonight..

Got the coopers and 4n20 pies ready..

post-31110-1178863896_thumb.jpg

Edited by Austhaied

Haven't seen AussieThaid pop into this forum yet - probably too ashamed to say anything after the bombers dismal performance of late :o

CB

Dons by 12 pts tonight..

See you've drank the Coopers already, probably not a bad idea.

CB

Dons by 12 pts tonight..

Where did you get the Coopers'?

I picked your guys for 20 in my comp so don't let me down

CB

Haven't seen AussieThaid pop into this forum yet - probably too ashamed to say anything after the bombers dismal performance of late :D

CB

Dons by 12 pts tonight..

CB

Rimping Nim City. I bought all their stock though.. :o:D Knowing the way things are done here they won't re-stock in a hurry either..80 baht each by the way, not bad..

Haven't seen AussieThaid pop into this forum yet - probably too ashamed to say anything after the bombers dismal performance of late :D

CB

Dons by 12 pts tonight..

CB

Rimping Nim City. I bought all their stock though.. :D :D Knowing the way things are done here they won't re-stock in a hurry either..80 baht each by the way, not bad..

I will ask them if they will get some more. If they think there is a market for it they tend to be pretty good with getting more. When I was in Samuii I got a six pack sent down from BKK with a half pallet of VB for the Bathurst car race weekend - my Coopers Sparkling worked out a AU$5 per stubbie :o Fortunately the VB all sold in the one weekend and made up for it.

CB

CB

Dons by 12 pts tonight..

CB

Rimping Nim City. I bought all their stock though.. :D :D Knowing the way things are done here they won't re-stock in a hurry either..80 baht each by the way, not bad..

I will ask them if they will get some more. If they think there is a market for it they tend to be pretty good with getting more. When I was in Samuii I got a six pack sent down from BKK with a half pallet of VB for the Bathurst car race weekend - my Coopers Sparkling worked out a AU$5 per stubbie :o Fortunately the VB all sold in the one weekend and made up for it.

CB

Let me know how you get on. I will order 3-4 cartons if we can get it.. Mothers milk mate..

KANGAROOS 4.0 8.5 14.8 18.9 (117)

ESSENDON 2.9 5.11 8.14 13.17 (95)

Goals: Kangaroos: L Brown 4 S Grant 3 C Jones 2 A Edwards 2 D Petrie J Smith B Harvey A Swallow H McIntosh D Hale J Sinclair. Essendon: S Lucas 5 A Davey 2 B Stanton 2 A Monfries J Laycock B Houli C Johns.

Best: Kangaroos: D Harris B Harvey L Brown B Rawlings G Archer H McIntosh J Smith. Essendon: S Lucas J Hird M Johnson D Peverill B Stanton A Lovett J Watson.

Injuries: Kangaroos: D McConnell (shoulder) replaced in the selected side by D Hale, D Wells (knee). Essendon: A Welsh (hamstring soreness).

Overall good game of footy although the Bombers inaccuracy in the 1st quarter really hurt them and came back to haunt them at the final siren..

Good weekend for South Australians, Port and the budgies both winning.

Three out of five in the tipping so far, but went for Geelong as a roughy today. :o

3/3 today gives me another 6, including Geelong over West Coast!!!!

Sceadugenga, you da man!!!

Round 7 Results.

Kangaroos 18. 9 117 def. Essendon 13.17 95

Collingwood 17.17 119 def. Carlton 14.11 95

Port Adelaide 16.19 115 def. Richmond 10.15 75

Adelaide 14.16 100 def. Brisbane Lions 9.15 69

St Kilda 15. 7 97 def. Sydney Swans 11. 5 71

Geelong 16.13 109 def. West Coast Eagles 10.10 70

Western Bulldogs 16.16 112 def. Melbourne 16.10 106

Fremantle 14.12 96 def. Hawthorn 11.14 80

The ladder at round 7

1 POR 7 24

2 WCE 7 24

3 COL 7 20

4 GEE 7 16

5 ADE 7 16

6 BRI 7 16

7 KAN 7 16

8 HAW 7 16

9 STK 7 16

10 WBD 7 16

11 SYD 7 12

12 ESS 7 12

13 FRE 7 12

14 CAR 7 8

15 MEL 7 0

16 RIC 7 0

Round 7 Results.

Kangaroos 18. 9 117 def. Essendon 13.17 95

Collingwood 17.17 119 def. Carlton 14.11 95

Port Adelaide 16.19 115 def. Richmond 10.15 75

Adelaide 14.16 100 def. Brisbane Lions 9.15 69

St Kilda 15. 7 97 def. Sydney Swans 11. 5 71

Geelong 16.13 109 def. West Coast Eagles 10.10 70

Western Bulldogs 16.16 112 def. Melbourne 16.10 106

Fremantle 14.12 96 def. Hawthorn 11.14 80

I dropped two picking Essendon (bast##ds) to win against the Roos but the shock to me was Geelong very comfortably overcoming the West Coast Beagles

The ladder at round 7

1 POR 7 24

2 WCE 7 24

3 COL 7 20

4 GEE 7 16

5 ADE 7 16

6 BRI 7 16

7 KAN 7 16

8 HAW 7 16

9 STK 7 16

10 WBD 7 16

11 SYD 7 12

12 ESS 7 12

13 FRE 7 12

14 CAR 7 8

15 MEL 7 0

16 RIC 7 0

And again the Port Power are on top of the ladder but that is good because at least it is in South Australia and takes the spot light of the Crows while they get back under control after a good (I have to say I was surprised) win over the Lion as the Gabba. The reality is that the Power will choke in the latter part of the season like they always do and with the crows in the final five at the business end of the season they can concentrate on winning the cup (again)

Cheers guys and great win for those of us with teams that can play football and commiserations if you don't.

CB

Well the work week is nearly over and so its into another great footy weekend.

Wishing everyone a great time and hope your team wins unless you barrack for Richmond who are going to get murdered tonight (hope)

CB

Well the work week is nearly over and so its into another great footy weekend.

Wishing everyone a great time and hope your team wins unless you barrack for Richmond who are going to get murdered tonight (hope)

CB

Found a great new venue for the footy, hey Crowboy..Freeflowing Coopers Sparkling.. :o:D

Crows survive Tigers' charge

Brought to you by TODD CARDY

Friday, 18th May, 2007 11:20:00 pm

ADELAIDE has continued Richmond’s winless start to the season with a nine-point triumph in an error-plagued AFL match at AAMI Stadium.

Down by 22 points after the first quarter, Richmond fought back in the second term to close to within two points of the Crows at the main break.

Scores were level midway through the final quarter, but the Crows steadied to win through five-goal forward Scott Welsh, 14.15 (99) to 14.6 (90).

A seven-goal first-quarter gave red-hot favourites Adelaide a flying start leading into the first break but the Crows could not maintain their momentum to bag only one more major in the second against a resurgent Richmond.

The first minute was ominous for the Tigers, who have yet to win this season, with Kane Johnson giving away a kick that resulted in a quick goal by Crow Scott Thompson.

Richmond continued to settle into the match early in the second quarter, taking control of the clearances and pressuring the Crows' ball carrier much more than they did in the first.

Back-to-back goals by Matthew Richardson and Dean Polo at the seven-minute mark started a good roll for the Tigers, who built on that momentum to cut the deficit to two points.

But the tide turned quickly in the third, with the Crows pushing forward.

Poor kicking by both teams - but particular by the Crows with four failed attempts at goal - allowed Richmond to stay in the match, but not for long.

Adelaide's lead blew out to 13 points until Matthew Richardson ended the Tigers’ drought midway through the quarter with a set goal in front.

The Crows continued to dominate, marking seven more shots at goal for the quarter - three goals, five points - compared with Richmond's one goal.

Light drizzle at the start of the fourth quarter couldn't help the Tigers.

They drew level with the first three goals of the quarter before Polo came off injured with an apparently dislocated shoulder, closely followed by Richardson who sustained a fractured eye socket in a collision with teammate Andrew Krakouer.

The Crows took advantage of the Tigers’ misfortune to pile on three more goals, blowing the lead out to 18 points before late goals to Danny Meyer and Graham Polak closed the margin.

ADELAIDE 7.1 8.5 11.10 14.15 (99)

RICHMOND 3.3 8.3 9.3 14.6 (90)

GOALS

Adelaide: S Welsh 5 J Griffin 2 N Bock 2 S Thompson N Bassett C Knights S Goodwin R Douglas.

Richmond: M Richardson 3 D Meyer 2 C Howat 2 B Deledio J King G Polak D Polo K Pettifer N Foley D Jackson.

BEST

Adelaide: S Welsh, J Griffin, S Goodwin, S Thompson, N Bock.

Richmond: N Foley, A Pattison, M Richardson,J Bowden, B Deledio.

INJURIES

Adelaide: Nil.

Richmond: M Richardson (fractured eye socket); D Polo (dislocated shoulder); C Hyde (back) replaced in selected side by A Krakouer.

Reports: Nil.

Umpires: B Rosebury D Sully S Ryan.

Official crowd: 40,742 at AAMI Stadium.

Hardly an inspiring performance at home against a winless side. Carlton at Telstra next week will be a better test of whether the Crows will be a force this year.

The Riccutio story seems to be an ongoing saga with a new version of his ills every week. He's essential to the Crows and if he's finished they have to admit it and move on. Burton seems to consider himself captain material but needs to lift his game considerably. To me he's a player who was thrust into the limelight by a fan base looking for a new Tony Modra, a position very hard to fill. Tyson Edwards is better leadership material in my eyes but the "Crow's wives" saga seems to have sunk him there. (I wouldn't be human if I didn't admit I laughed myself silly over that.) Goodwin of course.....has a problem.

Tomorrow, we have Sydney at the SCG. No satellite TV still, gonna break some heads soon. The wrath of the mighty sceadugenga turns strong men pale and reduces women to tears. (Of laughter.)

Bombers back on track..

ESSENDON veteran James Hird has turned on a vintage performance as the Bombers stormed back into form with a 18.19 (127) to 8.15 (63) victory over the Brisbane Lions at Telstra Dome.

The 64-point win, which broke a run of three straight losses, was set up by a dominant third quarter by Essendon in which they outscored the Lions 6.5 to 0.2 to turn a 14-point half-time lead into a 53-point break at the final change.

Hird, playing in the centre square at that stage after starting the game in the forward line, constantly got the ball moving Essendon's way to spark the onslaught.

It caused Brisbane Lions coach Leigh Matthews to at one stage move his star forward Jonathan Brown into the centre square to line up on the Essendon champion.

Hird, who finished with two goals, had earlier been just as dangerous playing up forward, setting up two of his side's three goals in the opening quarter to help Essendon to an eight-point quarter-time lead.

Essendon edged further ahead in the second quarter, with the Lions letting themselves down with some bad errors.

Hird kicked his side's opening goal of the term after Brisbane Lions veteran Luke Power gave away a free kick on the wing, then gave up a 50m penalty by arguing the decision to move Hird within scoring range.

Later in the term, defender Daniel Merrett made a strange decision to attempt to baulk past his opponent Matthew Lloyd after marking in the centre of the ground, was tackled, dropped the ball and Essendon rushed it forward for an easy goal to Bachar Houli.

Apart from Hird, the Bombers were very well served by young midfielder Jobe Watson, who gathered a ton of the ball in the middle of the ground and used his disposals well to set up attacking moves.

Essendon was also helped by being able to keep Brown from being a dominant force, with the Lions star having made a habit of destroying the Bombers almost single-handedly when he has played against them in recent years.

Brown was opposed by his former team-mate Mal Michael, but it was a team effort to restrict him.

Most times when Brown flew for a mark he was opposed by at least two Bombers, with Dustin Fletcher generally in the vicinity to come over the top of Brown and Michael and spoil.

Brown ended up with nine marks and 19 disposals, and managed to score 1.3, although he was not helped by hitting the post twice. As well as lending Michael a regular hand, Fletcher constantly swept the ball out of defence to be one of Essendon's best.

For the Lions, midfielders Troy Selwood and Simon Black were solid performers.

ESSENDON 3.6 7.10 13.15 18.19 (127)

BRISBANE 2.4 5.8 5.10 8.15 (63)

Goals: Essendon: M Lloyd 4 J Hird 2 A Monfries 2 M McVeigh 2 B Houli 2 J Watson J Johnson D Hille B Stanton S Lucas A Davey. Brisbane: T Selwood 2 T Notting A McGrath J Brown J Patfull J Drummond C Begley.

Best: Essendon: J Hird J Watson D Fletcher D Hille M McVeigh A Monfries. Brisbane: S Black T Selwood R Hadley N Lappin J Brown J Adcock.

Injuries: Essendon: A Lovett (knee - replaced in selected side by R Dyson). Brisbane: C Stiller (ankle).

Reports: Nil.

Umpires: H Kennedy K Nicholls T Pannell

Crowd: 35,034 at Telstra Dome.

The weekends results..

7:10PM - AAMI Stadium Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Adelaide 7.1 8.5 11.10 14.15 99

Richmond 3.3 8.3 9.3 14.6 90

2:10PM - Telstra Dome Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Essendon 3.6 7.10 13.15 18.19 127

Brisbane Lions 2.4 5.8 5.10 8.15 63

2:10PM - Skilled Stadium Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Geelong 6.0 9.5 11.9 14.10 94

Fremantle 3.2 4.6 5.7 10.9 69

7:15PM - Melbourne Cricket Ground Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Hawthorn 2.3 2.6 4.9 10.12 72

St Kilda 1.2 2.4 3.5 6.8 44

7:15PM - GOLD COAST STADIUM Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Kangaroos 4.5 8.10 15.14 22.15 147

Carlton 5.4 12.6 14.9 20.10 130

1:10PM - Sydney Cricket Ground Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Sydney Swans 6.4 10.9 13.14 17.16 118

Port Adelaide 3.1 6.3 8.6 13.9 87

2:10PM - Telstra Dome Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

Western Bulldogs 5.3 8.8 15.12 20.15 135

Collingwood 5.3 11.7 13.13 14.18 102

2:40PM - Subiaco Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final

West Coast Eagles 5.8 8.14 13.18 19.23 137

Melbourne 1.0 3.3 7.4 9.6 60

Hardly an inspiring performance at home against a winless side. Carlton at Telstra next week will be a better test of whether the Crows will be a force this year.

I watched the game with AussieThai on Friday night on his MONSTER television. Great night with a couple of Coopers Ales and a beautiful steak. We thought the game would be a blow out and the first couple of minutes indicated that would be correct but the Tigers refused to give in. There were some poor goal kicking efforts on both sides with squandered set shots but the game turned out to be a cracker in my opinion. There were a lot of forced errors on both sides purely because of the intense pressure applied.

I was very impressed by the Tigers guts and determination, they played like a side 5 berths abover their position and while they will be bitterly disapinted with the loss and injury (especially to Richardson) they can hold their heads up high. This style of football is a distinct change for them. They seem to have found a whole new midfield and are agressively attacking the ball. They used their talls in the defence and forward line very well and I think that if they play this style and can get Richardson back soon they will be able to start winning some games and get back up there.

I didn't get to see any other games but the results were interesing. Big win for the Bombers over the Lions, and well deserved too from what I read. I was surprised with the Hawks winning over the Saints. Anyone know how the Power did this week against the Swans :o

CB

Just to rub it in a bit (cause that's the kinda guy i am)... :o

Sydney Swans 6.4 10.9 13.14 17.16 (118)

Port Adelaide 3.1 6.3 8.6 13.9 (87)

GOALS

Sydney Swans: O’Loughlin 4, Ablett 2, Hall 2, McVeigh 2, Buchanan, Davis, Everitt, Goodes, Jolly, Malceski, Schneider

Port Adelaide: Ebert 4, Motlop 2, Salopek 2, Bentley, S Burgoyne, K Cornes, Pearce, Thomas

BEST

Sydney Swans: Ablett, Bolton, O'Loughlin, Kennelly, Malceski, Barry, Buchanan

Port Adelaide: Ebert, K Cornes, P Burgoyne, Bentley, Wakelin

Injuries: Nil

Reports: Nil

Umpires: C Donlon M Stevic B Allen

Official Crowd: 25,423 at the SCG :D

Just to rub it in a bit (cause that's the kinda guy i am)... :o

Sydney Swans 6.4 10.9 13.14 17.16 (118)

Port Adelaide 3.1 6.3 8.6 13.9 (87)

I have noticed that not a squeek has been heard from our good mate sceugoogledoogle up there in the Rai. Can't imagine why :D

CB

Port lose by about 30 points, the cunning sceadugenga, having tipped against his own side (boo, hiss) bags another 6 out of 8.

Must have shit in your eyes, at least I post when we lose.

Loong sceadunga is the correct form of address to a wiser older one. :o

Seriously, it's hard to win against sides like Sydney and the Crows when you have a side full of young players who want to run and have a go. Craig is a natural back line flooder, he loves to defend and he learned the finer technique by watching Sydney.

But Grand finals are won by kicking goals. The Crows won two in the nineties when Jarman refused to follow the game plan and ran amok in the last quarter. Blight took the team from the much maligned Shaw who had rebuilt the side after the Cornes' <deleted> ups. The committee took all the credit for the flags and spat on Blight the first chance they got, he left and look at the players wasted since.

I pray for the day to return when attacking coaches build great forward lines and run right over these losing, flooding c*nts!!!

Non-Vic teams dominating AFL: Demetriou

Marking a major change in AFL thinking, chief executive Andrew Demetriou concedes the domination of non-Victorian teams is more than cyclical.

As recently as last season, the league was arguing that the balance of power between the 10 Victorian-based clubs and their six interstate rivals would soon be redressed.

No Victorian team has won the grand final since Essendon in 2000 and the last three grand finals have been played between non-Victorian clubs.

While Demetriou said no single factor had prompted the AFL to change their opinion, he pointed to Melbourne and Richmond sitting winless at the bottom of the ladder as being symptomatic of a serious problem in the game.

"We have been looking at this for probably the last few months," he said.

"But really when you get to a part of the season where two Victorian clubs are 0-8 - I can't remember the last time that happened - that says something, that's not great.

"We've believed it is a cycle, but history is now starting to go against that belief."

Demetriou said the league was now looking at a raft of possible factors - club recruiting, the second-tier competitions around the country, club boards, revenue, facilities and other resources.

Generally, the AFL is extremely happy about the health of the game.

But Demetriou conceded fans of Victorian teams might start thinking twice about supporting their clubs if non-Victorian sides kept dominating the finals.

"The fact of the matter is, eight of our last 11 premiers have been non-Victorian and our last three grand finals have been two non-Victorian (teams)," he said.

"It's great for the national game, but ... the Western Bulldogs haven't won a grand final in over 50 years, Geelong and St Kilda in over 40 years.

"There is something going on in Victorian football that is not just cyclical and we've undertaken some work on it.

"Supporters have to believe at the start of a season that their team has a real shot at playing in finals."

Demetriou said the league would finish their review of the second-tier competitions, such as the VFL, SANFL and WAFL, by the end of the year.

©AAP 2007

Just discussed this on one of the AFL forums, some of the Vics want a salary cap for support staff as well to further level the playing field. Give me a break.

I think the fault is at club admin level, if membership was a problem why has Collingwood one flag in 50 years?

An ex-player, and the Richards brothers at Collingwood were a classic example, who can't coach but is good at club politics gets on the Board or the Committee and forces his ideas on selection, play and tactics from there.

When admin and coaching clash there's your problem. I still say that the Crow's two flags in the 90's were a result of Blight ignoring the board rather than the brilliance of his coaching. They certainly hated him and got rid of him, why would you sack a coach who gave you two flags in two seasons? So for the last ten years they've been around the mark but never there.... with as good, or arguably a better, side.

Round 9 results.

Friday May 25

8:40pm Frem 15.11.101 df. StK 6.19.55 Subiaco Oval

Saturday May 26

2:10pm Adel 15.15.105 df. Carl 12.14.86 Telstra Dome

2:10pm Haw 15.9.99 df. WCE 8.16.64 Aurora Stadium

7:10pm Coll 18.12.120 df. BL 13.9.87 The Gabba

7:40pm Ess 12.20.92 df. Rich 12.12.84 Melbourne Cricket Ground

Sunday May 27

1:10pm Syd 15.10.100 df. WB 8.9.57 Manuka Oval

2:10pm Kang 10.19.79 df. Melb 11.12.78 Melbourne Cricket Ground

4:40pm Geel 16.20.116 df. Port 8.12.60 AAMI Stadium