Giant billboard removed after partial collapse

webfact

Giant billboard removed after partial collapse

By The Nation

800_e7641f991eddb57.jpg?v=1563930281

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration officials ordered the owner of a giant billboard structure in Don Muang district to urgently take it down after the pole holding it collapsed causing the sign to hang over the road and pose a danger to passing vehicles.

The giant billboard in front of Soi Vibhavadi-Rangsit 72, which appeared old and rusty, partially collapsed during Monday evening’s heavy rain and strong winds.

The Don Muang district office and the BMA’s Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department as well as the Metropolitan Electricity Authority set up an operation centre near the billboard to direct the removal operation for fear that the sign would fall on passing vehicles.

The owner of the billboard sent a crane to support the billboard while workers used gas cutters to cut the metal into smaller sections to remove it.

Don Muang district director Worapoj Nimsuwan said the owner of the sign cooperated fully in the removal and would shoulder all the costs.

Worapoj added that officials from the district office would check all the remaining giant billboards to prevent more collapses.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373510

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-24

'They will check all the others.'

In the last 30 years there has been more checks about safety of billboards than I have had birthdays,and surely from all of that it should be expected their is some official and regular monitoring process, so how come this happens?

The BMA has a very poor track record and a lot to answer for in so many areas, totally unprofessional, totally unforgivable. 

This is normal after the 4 microns of paint washes away and rust sets in on the wafer thin Chinese budget steel....these relics are all over Thailand and the owners of course, are never held accountable

I dislike advertising of any sort but especially those huge billboards no matter where they are.

They are some of the worst eyesores in the world.

They are stuck together with what is referred to as 'birdshit' welding and as a previous poster said the cheapest chines steel you can buy.

I wonder if anyone thinks about the force on those surfaces when a 40/50 kph wind gust hits them square on.

Example although a bit high.

20 feet x 40 feet board in a 100 mph gust experiences 300,000 lbs force. I believe its a curve graph but 50 mph gusts, not uncommon in the rainy storm season ( when it arrives ) means in the region of 100,000 to 150,000 lbs force on the board. Scary.

Archived