Forget Walking Street - this is one of Pattaya's "Stumbling Streets"

webfact

Forget Walking Street - this is one of Pattaya's "Stumbling Streets"

5pm copy.jpg

Thai caption: The "Good Life" in Pattaya

Thai media went to investigate after complaints from tourists about the disgraceful state of the sidewalks in Pattaya. 

One that had caused many tourists to stumble or stub their toes in pain was just a few yards from the famed red light district of "Walking Street".

This particular obstacle featured several protruding pieces of metal and some old cables. 

Kampanat Eua-sakun, 29, told 77kaoded that it was the remains of a flashing light structure next to a Zebra crossing that was taken away a long time ago. It was not properly cleared away.

It was a hazard for tourists and had caused many people to get hurt. He called on the authorities to do something about it. 

Pattaya - that the authorities like to bill as a family friendly resort - has some of the worst pavements in Thailand if frequent social media posts are to be believed.

Thaivisa notes that many residents would prefer to see less fancy projects, less pointless crackdowns and more "back to basics" improvements to make the resort a better place to live and visit. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-25

44 minutes ago, webfact said:

less pointless crackdowns

by the police who stand around doing nothing but write tickets whilst Pattaya/Chonburi has one of the highest daily death rates in the country.  They're minting a minimum of 10,000 per hour at soi 9 every hour of the day as road users pay the ransom on their licences confiscated on trumped up/petty charges.

They just redid the sidewalks on North Pattaya Road, which seemed to be in ok shape to me, while ignoring sections of Pattaya Second Road which have no sidewalks at all and many other areas with worse sidewalks.   Clueless City Hall.

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

To be fair, those sorts of obstacles are all over Pattaya and Jomtien

I've lived in central, Pratamnak/Cosy Beach and Jomtien. Overall, the footpaths are a disaster. Wheelchair, disabled or able-bodied people are better off using the streets, where they risk injury or death.

The place has millions of rules it is describe as " lights are on but no one is home "  there are hundreds if not thousands of stuff like this throughout Pattaya do as you like because there is no recourse from the government agencies, if they had to make big payouts to victims they would fix the problem real quick.   Lots of government hot air!

IMHO tourists are bored of old broken down Pattaya...tour buses belching diesel smoke, police that stop you every corner and a beach rd as a freeway and the fake sand used as a boat launch...but I could be wrong

56 minutes ago, mok199 said:

IMHO tourists are bored of old broken down Pattaya...tour buses belching diesel smoke, police that stop you every corner and a beach rd as a freeway and the fake sand used as a boat launch...but I could be wrong

Or maybe you are just focusing on the bad points.

what flavour humbugs would you like for Christmas ???? 

I had about 70 cm hole in front of my hotel for 7 years. I kept filing with gravel but it kept getting deeper and deeper . Quite a few fell in knee deep.

after 7 years, someone from city hall fell in after eating at near by place early morning . The same day , hole was fixed but again took 7 years and someone of authority to fall into it for something to happen 

it is what it is, there is just too much to fix but that means spending money and this is something city hall does not like to do.

new developments brings in money, fixing broken costs money . 

If you in Pattaya walk from second street upward to Tuk Com on the right side, about where the school is, there are several bolts, at least four, comming up from the ground. I always hurt my feets there. It would be a three minutes work to take them away.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya - that the authorities like to bill as a family friendly resort - has some of the worst pavements in Thailand if frequent social media posts are to be believed.

The above statement is correct, as mentioned in many of the comments above how the powers that be can say this is a "World Class Family Resort" they must be using the drugs they keep confiscating; where there are pavements most are in a really poor condition or have tree stumps or sign posts stuck in the middle of the pavement with absolutely no forethought regarding people being able to use the pavement correctly. Alternatively, tables placed outside shops also on 2nd road ticket booths and passengers for mini buses blocking the whole of the pavement. Having said all this there are way too many roads & soi's without any pavements what so ever and extremely dangerous to navigate on foot especially for a family with pushchairs etc. Family Friendly Resort - NO!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

How is it possible to place the words Sidewalks and Pattaya in the same sentence

There are non ! They have all been illegally taken by shops and Restaurants Etc and claimed as their own.

Pattaya needs to take a leaf out of Bangkok's book. Here we use the sidewalks for motorbikes.

Rooster

My observation is that not many Thai's walk anywhere. I've seen Thai's hop on the motorbike to go 50 meters down the street. Obstacles like these are very rarely encountered by your average Thai walking.

4 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

How is it possible to place the words Sidewalks and Pattaya in the same sentence

There are non ! They have all been illegally taken by shops and Restaurants Etc and claimed as their own.

You are wrong in some ways?

In town you are dead right!  there are no standards no City master plan whatsoever to outline for the future. When you look around trying to do something now it might be just an impossible task?  Reason every so call improvement is just a waste of time for us foreigners it like putting a new patch over an old one. Then there is no quality control or oversight as to what is being done.  Result, sidewalks are no up to any type of standards too narrow, the bricks are just lay on top of dirt so when it rains the water saturate the dirt and the bricks become uneven. Then you got utilities poles set right in the wrong location etc etc.

Now sidewalks they have done a great job on Pattaya Nua, Dolphin Circle Terminal 21, going all the way to Sukhumvit both sides pulling drains where they are supposed to be and standard sidewalks which is shocking now let's wait for the rain and see how long they hold up if done properly hopefully longer that the Beach road renovation or until they rip it all up so they can lay down the tracks for the new tram service?

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

all over Asia, bar Hong Kong and Singapore. 

Hong Kong and Singapore both being considered the "Hi-So" of Asia along with Tokyo.

Higher IQs, white skin, better education, better school system, BMWs are literally everywhere and English is spoken naturally as a 2nd if not 3rd language. Go figure.

There was (maybe still is) one soi off of Soi Bukhow, one over from LK Metro, that always had large puddles of water, even after it hadn't rained for a few days.  I dubbed it Soi Pisspuddle. 

44 minutes ago, tcp7 said:

Hong Kong and Singapore both being considered the "Hi-So" of Asia along with Tokyo.

Higher IQs, white skin, better education, better school system, BMWs are literally everywhere and English is spoken naturally as a 2nd if not 3rd language. Go figure.

Hong Kong's pavements are a nightmare. They're about 18 inches wide and there's 4000 people per sq m.

Ok I exaggerate but you get the picture.

Archived