Refused entry and thrown in a cell

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

I'm not familiar with that neck of the woods so really don't know.

Might be possible to Malaysia by train but don't quote me. One night stay may be required.

there is NO train from Phuket to Anywhere
If ur hoping to just get a 30 day visa exempt, bus to Ranong ( 6 hours)
otherwise,cheap flight to Penang OR anywhere cheap ( i go a 850 baht flight to Phnom Penh direct!!)

PS: as others state  there is no 60 days tourist visa  its valid for a 60 days stay to be used within 90 days.

Edited by phuketrichard

19 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"...thrown in a cell..."

No, you weren't thrown in a cell!  Because you did not have a visa you were...

"directed to a small room with a bunk bed and a dirty towel for a blanket. sink and shower, immigration officers were very nice".  Nothing like a police cell at all.

By the way, an expensive rental contract isn't evidence of being able to support yourself.

Big L

4 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

there is NO train from Phuket to Anywhere
If ur hoping to just get a 30 day visa exempt, bus to Ranong ( 6 hours)
otherwise,cheap flight to Penang OR anywhere cheap ( i go a 850 baht flight to Phnom Penh direct!!)

PS: as others state  there is no 60 days tourist visa  its valid for a 60 days stay to be used within 90 days.

Phuket to mainland  to get a train obviously. I do know it's an island

20 hours ago, jaffacakes1 said:

What would you call a small room with a bunk bed and dirty towel and sink and door that locks from the outside? I didn't mention a Police cell. It certainly wasn't a hotel room. Granted the rental contract isn't evidence of being able to support myself but at least proves that I have accommodation.

OP< sorry, that's not true. Too many documents in LOS, from university degrees to anything else, are Photoshopped.

Could you not show them 20 K?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

When I worked at airports many years ago, anyone travelling in a suit, apart from those from the pointy end, immediately raised suspicion and received closer inspection.

Many bogus passengers believe the suit adds legitimacy, but it is not normal travel wear.

It's very British to believe that clothes maketh the man. 

Yep, that's what i also thought. Considering that he'd his work permit cancelled, why would a tourist wear a suit in Thailand?

That alone, plus maybe not having 20 K in cash might have been enough to deny entry.

“Being unable to support oneself “ has become a common reason for refusing entry at airports. What if one used cell phone to pull up Thai banking app where they could show their local account balances ?  Would this help ?

2 hours ago, carabaothai said:

At the border, from Malaysia with my thai car, return from one week holidays, in August 2017, I was refused to enter

"unable to financially support oneself"

Sent to the boss.. who was not very friendly with me ????

Because I didn't have 20,000 THB or more in my wallet. 

I had mastercard, I showed my bank account statement on my smartphone bank application. I had the car..

NO entry mister. 

I had to go back to a Malaysian ATM to get the money.

That day, maybe 100 Malaysian people were at the border with me... only me was asked to prove that I have enough money! 

Did you wore a suit.....:cheesy:

• Haha 1

How many days you stay outside of Thailand doesn't seem to matter. I was pull aside for questioning 2 months ago, even after staying 10 days away in Japan, and a stop over in Singapore for a weekend.

I would recommend to always make sure to arrive early from KL so at least if they send you back, you can depart same day or sometimes in a couple of hours.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, overherebc said:

I honestly doubt very much if any first time or once a year  tourist from UK  EU  USA etc has been rejected entry when coming for a 4 week holiday even on visa exempt. Unless they turn up looking like a bag of sh-t tied around the middle with an old rope.

None of the many “genuine tourists” who have visited me over the years have had a problem and have never heard of an issue from expat friends here.

Just wondering if wearing an old tie around the waist instead of rope might lift the standard slightly ???

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

None of the many “genuine tourists” who have visited me over the years have had a problem and have never heard of an issue from expat friends here.

Just wondering if wearing an old tie around the waist instead of rope might lift the standard slightly ???

I'm sure the 'old school tie' might help.

Lattice Tie_H_555_W_555.png

Edited by overherebc
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, carabaothai said:

At the border, from Malaysia with my thai car, return from one week holidays, in August 2017, I was refused to enter

"unable to financially support oneself"

Sent to the boss.. who was not very friendly with me ????

Because I didn't have 20,000 THB or more in my wallet. 

I had mastercard, I showed my bank account statement on my smartphone bank application. I had the car..

NO entry mister. 

I had to go back to a Malaysian ATM to get the money.

That day, maybe 100 Malaysian people were at the border with me... only me was asked to prove that I have enough money! 

The Malaysians were probably genuine tourists who would return I have met quite a few over the years who come on driving holidays.

Also I think there is a reciprocal agreement for ASEAN residents traveling  to other ASEAN countries that no visa is needed, my Thai wife doesn't need one for Vietnam but I do.

"So, my friends - aBe aware the KL in/out same day does not guarantee you re- entry. Also can I do anything about my 90 day visa being stamped for 60?"

When arriving in the KL airport... Did you go through Malaysian Immigration - get an entry stamp into Malaysia?  Then did you go back through Malaysian Immigration to get an Exit stamp out of. Abefore boarding the aircraft to fly back to Bangkok? If you did not do this then this is the cause of your problem. By the way even when done properly you only get an Exempt Entry of 30 days. 

Many people do a shortcut... going to KL - stay in the gate boarding area - keep the boarding passes and just fly back to Thailand using the boarding passes to prove exiting and reentering Thailand to Thai Immigration. While this works sometimes - it does not always work. 

22 hours ago, jaffacakes1 said:

Upon arrival (in a suit)

There's your mistake straight away.

Patently obvious.

Shoulda turned up in scruffy, dirty, camo cargo shorts, loud Hawaiian shirt, showing off your full sleeve tats, flip flops, and Ray Ban mirror shades.

No problemo.

Never is for me anyway...

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

It's become a sort of blanket 20,000 baht for all and 40,000 for a family I'm fairly sure.

Would having 20,000 baht upon entry to Thailand also be necessary for a person with a one year extension of stay based on 800K bank deposit retirement?

41 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It's become a sort of blanket 20,000 baht for all and 40,000 for a family I'm fairly sure.

For a 30 day visa exempt it is officially 10k baht for one person or 20k baht for a family.

Some officers might want to see 20k/40k baht but they are wrong when they do it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jaffacakes1 said:
22 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"...thrown in a cell..."

No, you weren't thrown in a cell!  Because you did not have a visa you were...

"directed to a small room with a bunk bed and a dirty towel for a blanket. sink and shower, immigration officers were very nice".  Nothing like a police cell at all.

By the way, an expensive rental contract isn't evidence of being able to support yourself.

What would you call a small room with a bunk bed and dirty towel and sink and door that locks from the outside? I didn't mention a Police cell. It certainly wasn't a hotel room. Granted the rental contract isn't evidence of being able to support myself but at least proves that I have accommodation.

What you describe was a room that you were taken to pending your leaving, you were not "thrown into it" as your headline states and it was not a cell!  Your headline uses the word "cell" and IOs are officers in a division of the RTP so, by definition, you were describing (deliberately inaccurately) a room as a police cell.  

One of the things that you don't have to prove is that "you have accommodation" so your comment was irrelevant, some visitors may have to prove they have cash, apparently you couldn't.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

He never said 'police' cell. Don't misquote people. It's disingenuous. 

Also, a cell is defined as 'a small room with not much furniture, especially in a prison or a monastery or a convent'. The poster literally described a cell when explaining the type of room he was "locked" in. 

Please read posts properly before making misinformed comments. 

You know that IOs are police officers, yes?  They are part of the RTP and therefore any room that they use are "police" rooms, anyone who is put in an immigration cell is in a police cell.  The OP used the word "cell", he therefore was describing the room as a police cell.

The poster described a room, not a cell.  The dictionary definition does not make the room a cell, if you'd ever been in a proper police cell in this country you'd know the difference.

"Please read posts properly before making misinformed comments". 

Wow, congratulations, it seems that you have promoted yourself to be a Moderator! 

Please don't you try to tell me how to read or what comments to make, particularly when they are not addressed to you.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2