Scotland's leader tells Johnson: we want an independence referendum

snoop1130

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Believe the whole kilt and tartan thing was the idea of an Englishman.

I'm an Englishman, and therefore a stinking parasite who has no place offering an opinion on anything to do with Scotland, whether it be about politics, the correct way to label tins of shortbread, or the nutritional value of Irn Bru and Mars bars; but wasn't one of the leading proponents of the revival of tartan frocks a certain Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria, and a German?

On 7/25/2019 at 11:31 PM, vogie said:

No, not rationed RR, but most people would have thought a referendum every 4 years is over egging the pudding, let us not forget the Scots that voted to remain (the majority) within our Union, their vote still counts doesn't it, or does democracy only count when it goes your way?

They did not vote to remain for ever, they voted to remain until there is another vote.

Same way that you don't vote for a party to remain in power for ever, only until the next vote.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JAG said:

I'm an Englishman, and therefore a stinking parasite who has no place offering an opinion on anything to do with Scotland, whether it be about politics, the correct way to label tins of shortbread, or the nutritional value of Irn Bru and Mars bars; but wasn't one of the leading proponents of the revival of tartan frocks a certain Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria, and a German?

Quite possibly it may have Bertie who was involved. Mists of time springs to mind.????????

Then again Alf Garnet said that JC was Church of England and not Jewish. ????????????????????

23 hours ago, Mansell said:

UNITED under and by the sword.....those days are long gone, and like many of the countries that became colonies they have long gone also. Show me the evidence that Scotland couldn't survive alone. Many of Britain's scientists and inventors originated from Scotland.

When did we have our chance? 

And what is the issue with all the English on here getting their panties in a knot every time Scottish independence is mentioned?

i will be quite happy to hand in my Brit passport and get a Scottish/Euro passport. Then while you are getting your visas to visit Europe I will be happily moving around in relative freedom spending my Euros. (And relative is relative for all of us)

You will create your own Navy? air force? IF you had true independence I'd say good riddance but you will continue to leach from England. Anyway you lost the referendum with only 44% supporting your view.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

We already have a navy and Air force.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes it's British since 1707

The Royal Scots Navy (or Old Scots Navy) was the navy of the Kingdom of Scotland from its origins in the Middle Ages until its merger with the Kingdom of England's Royal Navy per the Acts of Union 1707.

Edited by BobBKK

I really dont understand the reluctance of unionists to hold another referendum.

This is your chance to kill off calls for independence. 

All you have to do is present a positive case for staying in the UK and people will vote to do so.

Oh wait now I do understand why you dont want another referendum.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I really dont understand the reluctance of unionists to hold another referendum.

All you have to do is present a positive case for staying in the UK and people will vote to do so.

Same here re Brexit... and if that dont work let's hold another one!  Scotland got 44% to leave and every 50 years a referendum I would think would be fair.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Same here re Brexit... and if that dont work let's hold another one!  Scotland got 44% to leave and every 50 years a referendum I would think would be fair.

Its up to the people of Scotland to decide when they want another referendum.

You cant say "No more for another 50 years" just because you liked the result of the last one.

Situations change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Because one was held a few years ago, the once in a lifetime referendum. Not only do they cost money, there value is diminished if you have one every couple of years, because you don't like or respect the result. Do you understand now!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Because one was held a few years ago, the once in a lifetime referendum. Not only do they cost money, there value is diminished if you have one every couple of years, because you don't like or respect the result. Do you understand now!

Where does it state referendums can only be held once in a generation?

Switzerland has referendums all the time so your argument that there value is diminished by overuse is nonsense. We vote in parliamentary elections every 5 years. Should they be changed to every 50 years?

The current SNP administration has a mandate to hold another referendum if the material circumstances involved in the union changed such as Scotland being removed from the EU against its will. It was in the SNP manifesto. People voted for that.

Now you are simply ignoring that mandate by declaring somehow referendum results have a cast iron period of life expectancy.

I know why you personally dont like the idea of another referendum. You think the result will go the other way next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Where does it state referendums can only be held once in a generation?

Just quoting the then First Minister leading up to the referendum. plus he said there would not be a second referendum, or have you conveniently forgotten.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11095210/Alex-Salmond-This-is-a-once-in-a-generation-opportunity-for-Scotland.html

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I know why you personally dont like the idea of another referendum.

So you are Mystic Meg now.

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You think the result will go the other way next time. 

I actually think that the result would be even greater in favour of remaining in the UK, especially when NS and her plan for Scotland would be exposed and her mismanagement of the country.

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

We vote in parliamentary elections every 5 years. S

That is mostly correct. It has to be within a 5 year period.

7 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Should they be changed to every 50 years?

No but elections are not referendums.

To have another referendum within such a short space of time would undermine and de value referendum results. Every 20 years is more than acceptable in my view.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Just quoting the then First Minister leading up to the referendum. plus he said there would not be a second referendum, or have you conveniently forgotten.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11095210/Alex-Salmond-This-is-a-once-in-a-generation-opportunity-for-Scotland.html

So you are Mystic Meg now.

I actually think that the result would be even greater in favour of remaining in the UK, especially when NS and her plan for Scotland would be exposed and her mismanagement of the country.

That is mostly correct. It has to be within a 5 year period.

No but elections are not referendums.

To have another referendum within such a short space of time would undermine and de value referendum results. Every 20 years is more than acceptable in my view.

That was the opinion of Alex Salmond. Nothing to do with the constitutional position of referendums.

In Scotland the people are sovereign. Not parliament or indeed the First Minister so it is up to the people of Scotland to decide when and if they want another referendum. No-one outside of Scotland has any right to deny this.

If you are so confident you should be screaming for another referendum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2019 at 3:16 PM, lungbing said:

Just let the English vote in the next referendum.  Scotland will be free the day after.

Excellent,really excellent post.  Undoubtedly the Scots will state oil and fish as their proposed benefactors....big BUT here,  Shetland have long opposed a tie up with Scotland if it gets independence and as most of the resources lie closest to Shetland...I would say the (English) Royal Navy  has a duty to protect,just as in the Gulf

Edited by zorrow424
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

Excellent,really excellent post.  Undoubtedly the Scots will state oil and fish as their proposed benefactors....big BUT here,  Shetland have long opposed a tie up with Scotland if it gets independence and as most of the resources lie closest to Shetland...I would say the (English) Royal Navy  has a duty to protect,just as in the Gulf

Is Shetland a country?

• Like 1

Its up to the people of Scotland to decide when they want another referendum.

You cant say "No more for another 50 years" just because you liked the result of the last one.

Situations change. 

Asking the rest of the Kingdom would have ensured they left at the first attempt.

And to the poster who mentioned fish...

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, vogie said:

Would you like it on a weekly basis or monthly?

33 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Asking the rest of the Kingdom would have ensured they left at the first attempt.

And to the poster who mentioned fish...

What exactly is the position with fishing in Scottish waters just now?

Which esteemed body controls policy on it? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

What exactly is the position with fishing in Scottish waters just now?

Which esteemed body controls policy on it? 

Why have you included my quote, it mentions nothing about fishing in Scottish waters.

That was the opinion of Alex Salmond. Nothing to do with the constitutional position of referendums.

In Scotland the people are sovereign. Not parliament or indeed the First Minister so it is up to the people of Scotland to decide when and if they want another referendum. No-one outside of Scotland has any right to deny this.

If you are so confident you should be screaming for another referendum.

I am confident but as I mentioned my reasons already why having another one so early is demeaning, I look forward to the next one in 15 years. Then you can open this thread and we can see who is right.

As I am sure you and everyone knows Alex Salmonds was leading the campaign for leaving the Union. So if your number one person says its once in a lifetime opportunity, if you can't accept, you probably wouldn't accept another defeat, in a referendum. Sounds like the Jo Swinson syndrome.

• Like 2