UK PM Johnson tells EU: ditch backstop or face no-deal Brexit

rooster59

16 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

I love the way, people go on about the way we will be worst off without understanding that, its all talk. nobody really knows what will occur. Lets do it, and see what happens, the lights aren't going to go, things are bad enough already. I bet things will turn out good in the end thats for sure. World war three aint going to happen when we stop giving cash to Europe and suddenly find the UK has some money in the kitty to spend on its own people. 

I think it all depends on how it affects you personally.  Anyone running a small business that involves any element of importing or exporting will feel the pain of leaving with no-deal badly, so will the people they employ.  People on a tight budget will suffer with higher prices thanks to a deflated pound.  Ex pats in Europe will feel the pain but those ex pats living further afield (Thailand for instance) won't be affected at all, apart from those relying on pensions or investments in Blighty.  Those Brits travelling to mainland Europe regularly will have minor inconveniences but nothing much will change for them.  And those with deep pockets and a champagne lifestyle won't really be effected at all.  It will certainly be a Brexit geared towards the Brits with money. And because of that,  I fear that after Brexit the divide between the rich and the poor will grow and the resentment that that brings will rise.

There will always be opportunities and Britain is still a place where the talent is abundant. There will still be ambitious young people coming to study at the excellent universities here and staying afterwards. Britain can certainly thrive again.  Where we are really failing is not having a government or politicians who can......well.. govern.  The charlatans and imbeciles who now pull the strings are dragging our country down the pan and that is where we need some talent to stop the rot. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

The EU could unilaterally extend A50 legally if they wanted  it's their club after all. Especially if an election was in the offing. Remain politicians are already talking with the EU unofficially about such a prospect. 

They can not unilateral do that as it would go against the A50 action given by U.K. , of course they can already under the table say to U.K. that  it would be granted if asked

Comparable like the E.U. would cancel unilateral the A50 ….. impossible !!

Edited by david555

42 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Why 27 Parliaments of the EU would bow for a spoiled child, who wants more, more and more … The UK wants to leave, so..  L E A V E 

Even when the UK leaves the UK will probably still be contributing more than a lot of the other 27 states. So I can understand your anxiety about us leaving a sinking ship.

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

Even when the UK leaves the UK will probably still be contributing more than a lot of the other 27 states. So I can understand your anxiety about us leaving a sinking ship.

if it's a sinking ship why is the UK trying to hold on to it, why does the EU keep sending extra life vests "jackets"

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Basically they havn't a clue, Sir Nicholas Soames was being interviewed by Sky News Adam Boulton and he said parliament would do anything possible to stop a 'no deal' when Boulton asked him how, he replied I don't know.

funny, they asked similar question to Boris about his plan to leave the EU and he replied I don't have a clue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BJ is a sheep in a wolf's clothing. He will talk tough but his actions are what count. Whatever it takes to keep him in power will be his main priority. Not much chance of an election after what happened to May when she went to the polls. Farage and his Brexit party is an extra dimension to consider too. Maybe he will cut a deal with them. Farage for Foreign Secretary anyone?

Edited by champers

3 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

funny, they asked similar question to Boris about his plan to leave the EU and he replied I don't have a clue

When did he say that? Baring in mind he's only been doing the job for a week, but interestingly enough the Tories have shot up 10 points in the ratings.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

The EU would serve it's own interest better by agreeing an appropriate trade deal

Why ? A lot of British industries but especially service are already migrated or soon could go. 

When UK is out, a LOT of British competition will be killed by the EU import duties, which generate much more income for the EU than the UK contribution ever could be.

https://www.nutritioninsight.com/news/no-deal-brexit-fears-preventing-the-nations-ill-health-has-been-buried-in-the-dying-days-of-the-government-note-critics.html?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Trends+++Highlights+%7C+No-deal+Brexit+s+impact+on+UK+health+-++Are+refined+grains+absolved+of+their+link+to+disease%3F+-+Wholegrain+NPD+potential+and+challenges&utm_campaign=2019-07-25+-+Trend+mailing+NI

A LOT of common activities, till 31 Oct also financed by the UK , they can do on their own. see for instance the EU - RASFF food problems database. From 1 Nov... the British are on their own.  https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/rasff-window/portal/?event=SearchForm&cleanSearch=1

Also: The European Commission plans to revoke all .eu domain name registrations belonging to British registrants after the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union, EURACTIV has learnt.

Bye-the-way: do you British know, what Cameron already achieved ? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35622105

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Tough luck johnson, the backstop is there and it stays. The govt of Eire will veto any deal that does not meet its concerns over the Good Friday Agreement. 

As to anti democratic- when do you intend to give the entire uk a vote on whether they want you as pm or not?

That is a good idea. What happens if Eire vetos any deal? The UK will then leave on 31st October with no deal anyway.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

however

they cannot veto no deal

Every EU deal must be accepted by the parliaments of all EU member states.

So, if Eire vetoes it, that deal is gone. 

Read EU law.

50 minutes ago, aright said:

Yes, 31.6+3,3% see  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_European_Parliament_election_in_the_United_Kingdom

many Britons still want Brexit, still wanted their freedom ? Probably you ment: Irish & Scotish ?...........................………...…………………..

Can you please explain how your reply is related to my post? 

You're free already this slavery nonsense is in your head. 

35 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

It is no surprise that snowflakes, who can't handle democratic decisions going against them, are resorting to every underhand tactic they can muster.

Says a lot about them.

I got a three day ban for using that word as some snitch grassed me to the mods - I follow the lags code - no snitching , and you are not a snowflake you are a rough hewn British Brexiteer patriot to your core - I indefatigability salute you ! Got a lot of better things done with that 3 day ban I shall try for another one soon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Johnson is on safe ground calling an election which he won't do until after Brexit, as long as Corbyn is the Labour leader.  Dump him and it will be a different ball game altogether.  But we have a long way to go yet and lot's of things could happen in the meantime.

Reassuring to see the vitriol is still toxic on TV though ????????.  I thought you guys were going soft.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That is a good idea. What happens if Eire vetos any deal? The UK will then leave on 31st October with no deal anyway.

Yep, they will. 

However, it is hoped johnson his fellow travellers will finally realise they cannot dictate to Eire to get their way. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

A quote from your post.

"Johnson wants to give an amensty to 500 million illegals in the UK,"

My response is simple and easy.

The link is here. https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/uk-population/

The current population of the United Kingdom is 66,986,342 as of Sunday, July 28, 2019, based on the latest United Nations estimates.

Can you please explain how in a population of 66,986,342 people Boris Johnson wants to give 500,000,000 illegal aliens and amnesty?

That for me makes the rest of your post a badly researched and written joke.

So a clear and obvious mistake invalidates a post? Don't think so, it just means you don't like facts.

• Confused 2

54 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

No deal Brexit looking likely. Not a problem. Boris off to a good start, Tories well ahead in all polls.

No, it's not. Boris is - IMO - at least a PM who currently is energising the process, but he will seek a deal at this stage. And he will persuade the EU and his party to pass the WAG.

To think otherwise is not a UK Tory political objective - which is to return the Tory government to power with an increased majority.

That's the main objective. To decimate Farage, Labour and Lib Dems as also runs.  A No-deal will not succeed, IMO.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

Why 27 Parliaments of the EU would bow for a spoiled child, who wants more, more and more … The UK wants to leave, so..  L E A V E 

Just kick us out. It is the EU who are the hold up.

Just say goodbye on 31st October, deal or no deal. It IS that easy

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, vogie said:

So that makes it ok for other nations to suffer because they are suffering less than the UK, I'm sure there is some kind of logic in there somewhere, but for the life in me, I just don't see it.

Short term suffering for long term gain. 

in conflict (that's why they call it conflict) both sides suffer, the side that suffers the least wins.

In this case there is a third party that is not suffering at all and is poised to win the most.

Divide and conquer.

2 hours ago, RickBradford said:

Well, Boris has said "Absolutely No Backstop."

The EU has said "Absolutely No Deal Without a Backstop."

So there's plenty of distance between the two sides. Then again, they are politicians.....

Yes, and 27+1 Parliaments to accept

26 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I got a three day ban for using that word as some snitch grassed me to the mods - I follow the lags code - no snitching , and you are not a snowflake you are a rough hewn British Brexiteer patriot to your core - I indefatigably salute you ! Got a lot of better things done with that 3 day ban I shall try for another one soon. 

????????????

I have always seen myself just a tad left of centre..........  not in the Major/Blair days, obviously, when you could barely tell left from right -  but certainly from a Thatcher/BJ position.

Talking of left and right..... I would force Corbyn to watch Peter Shore's 'Project Fear' speech.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Actually, it isn't. We - and I include you - are citizens  of the UK. There are immense ramifications on all levels of government, society, businesses, etc etc. it just isn't that easy -something that leavers don't grasp.

if you look at the UK now, every aspect of living in the UK is NOT easy. How many times have I been presurissed by corporations seeking this that and the other? You think that leaving the EU is going to resolve just being able to live here?

In fact, it is most likely that it won't.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Huh, the EU is holding you up? So it was not the UK that asked for an extension?