Expat group launches online petition calling for TM.30 to be scrapped

Jonathan Fairfield

17 minutes ago, Ketyo said:

The TM30 is being used to monitor and control the Chinese invasion

I don’t think that’s the case at all. Most Chinese are visitors and the ones who do stay have money. I live in one of the nicer condos in Chiang Mai and all of the Chinese I’ve met living here have set up a business locally or they are on the Elite visa.

Touring Chinese and Chinese expats are two different things.

3 hours ago, zydeco said:

Or they will require you to report in person, instead of mailing or online registration, to your nearest immigration office to fill out the TM 30 within 6 hours, instead of 24, of deplaning and up the fine to 4000 baht.

What if you have to fill out another TM30 when you return home because the Immigration Office was not nearby and you needed to spend the night?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dcnx said:
23 minutes ago, Ketyo said:

The TM30 is being used to monitor and control the Chinese invasion

I don’t think that’s the case at all. Most Chinese are visitors and the ones who do stay have money. I live in one of the nicer condos in Chiang Mai and all of the Chinese I’ve met living here have set up a business locally or they are on the Elite visa.

Touring Chinese and Chinese expats are two different things.

TM30 is Thailand's primary system for recording the whereabouts of most everyone entering and travelling in the country. Suggesting to the Thai it should be eliminated is almost embarrassing.

As a petition, the current version has several flaws. For one, it mainly complains about foreigners' inconvenience. It should start with, let us suggest how how to significantly improve the Thai system for Thailand's benefit.

Cudos for trying, but I suggest starting over with input from the general expat community, which you claim to represent. Many comments in the thread would have already greatly improved the document.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

The fact is the TM30 system is actually a good idea but it is not being implemented well enough for the expat community. If it was 100% online and accounted for all variations of people's accommodation variables then this would be a non starter. The direction of this petition and lack of cultural awareness is an embarrassment. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this should be pinned in a banner on the top of every page on Thai Visa. "Sign the petition for immigration reform."

this web site can make it happen.

I don't live in Thailand anymore so probably wouldn't be eligible to sign the petition.  It may be worth trying to get it in The Bangkok Post and The Nation if they aren't already covering it.  Not every ex-pat is part of the TV family.

Yes it sounds like it could work but i doubt it will

I for one would be pleased already when all of the IO would go by the same rules

but even something that simple is not possible over here.

If they would enforce other laws also i would be more positive.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

What immigration office in ANY country ever responds to petitions from expats???  Impossible.  A complete waste of energy. Guests do not "negotiate" with government agencies.

I think that nice Mr Trump should adopt a similar requirement as the TM30, it would make his job a lot easier in rounding up all those pesky Mexicans and others!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Myran said:

They're clamping down on the TM30 and people have been refused to apply for extensions because the house owner hasn't done the TM30.

You've got it one-third correct.

Section 38 of the Immigration Act says that "The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence" must report the arrival of a foreigner at the residence.

Please see section 4 for the definition of House Master.

For a rented private residence, it means

House Master = tenant

Owner = owner

Possessor = tenant