Why it’s time to step away from Thailand

connda

10 hours ago, Buddha Pist said:

Whinge, whinge, whinge

Just leave instead of adding to the echo.

How has "the UK cut off your escape route"?

Probably can't bring the family home. I encountered the same problems in the Netherlands, but found a way around it. VERY happy in Europe, now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Taking an Asian wife or GF back to OZ I could never do. The racism is insane and wouldnt be fair on the girl, The guys consider Asian woman as the last thing you pick up in a nightclub at 3am if you did not find better and refer to them all as slopes. The Woman are worse and don't want them in the social circle because they are all prostitutes and will steal their husbands

That's the harsh reality 

Seriously? You freely admit that you and your friends are bogans?

Edited by mngmn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Taking an Asian wife or GF back to OZ I could never do. The racism is insane and wouldnt be fair on the girl, The guys consider Asian woman as the last thing you pick up in a nightclub at 3am if you did not find better and refer to them all as slopes. The Woman are worse and don't want them in the social circle because they are all prostitutes and will steal their husbands

That's the harsh reality 

You must becoming from a society full of xenophobia and that is nothing to be proud of.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

...I bought my Thai wife...

Oh dear, I hope that wasn't a Freudian slip. ????

Of course he meant "brought", and I'm happy to hear that your wife was welcomed and accepted by all your friends and family. 

Good luck in having a good life either in OZ or in Thailand. But I was reading some posts saying that Australia is getting too expensive. 

5 hours ago, madmen said:

That's the harsh reality 

I can believe that. Once I was on a business trip to Australia and my business associate invited me to his home having a cook out. Nice big house with a pool and bbq grill. His wife is a vet and she got her group of friends over for the cook out too. There were about 8 of them all upper middle class whites. I am Asian chinese. I spoke English reasonably well and I guessed from their demeanor that I am ok . During the conversation, I found out that they are racist inside. They had never spoken to a Chinese before and the lady seemed rather proud when she said that ! Also never been to fortitude valley (a chinatown in Brisbane) because as one of them explained ‘there are nothing I want to get there’. That is the reality of life. 

However, I have a daughter who is a medical doctor in Victoria but her group of friends are mostly whites. So it also depends upon the socioeconomic circle you moved in . 

Edited by Ctkong

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

A recent trip back to the USA reminded me why I left in the first place, only multiplied by 10.

Ditto the UK.

Thailand certainly isn't what it used to be, but then neither am I! At least we had fun getting into this condition.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, mngmn said:

With the exchange rate plummeting, it is Thailand that is 'getting too expensive'. Accommodation and utilities are the big expense in Australia but many other things are cheaper and far better quality.

Of course just one medical emergency for you or your Thai partner could make Australia, with its free medical care, seem really cheap.

At $7k, the visa for your Thai partner is also a bargin compared to the $20k+ that the Thai government wants you to deposit in a Thai bank for the rest of your life.

Ultimately, your Thai partner's Australian visa will allow you to live together for the rest of your lives compared to the 'fingers crossed', year-by-year visa offered by the Thai Government.

It's always good to get various perspectives.

I'm not an Aussie and have no desire at all to live in Australia, but for some people, especially Aussies, I can easily imagine that it's a good choice. Some people will always find a reason to complain, and it's up to us to make the best of what we have and where we have it. I'll ignore those people complaining about paying $8 for a beer and almost $20 for a basic bacon and eggs brunch.

Edited by Inn Between

16 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

snip: "the fact he is leaving so hopefully Thailand officials will start see the loss"

They won't, that is the plan.

15 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

For me, there is the choice of looking at my Thai mother-in-law every <deleted> day or a lonely room on some share-a-house scheme back home. I prefer to stare at that old hag any day!

???? Quality. Thanks for that!

You're right op, it is xenophobic and they don't really want us hanging around en-masse - can't really blame em for the clean up, though current mood is all down to the army and nobs.

Will always have huge affection for ole Muang Thai and have done some serious time... not taking it seriously (even though one may have roots), not meddling and not resisting is the key non-unhappiness there. :wink:

Its got to be the exchange rate repelling people like a thunder fart in an echo chamber?

As for the continuous crackdowns and enforcement Its obvious that Thailand is getting rid of all the rif-raf and cleaning  up its image and they dont care if a few 'good people short on funds' get caught in the net.

Im hoping that if I brace for the storm long enough the other side will be much easier but that's a hope not a certainty.

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

If its an option for you why wait I'm talking about those who don't have that option left I think its more like 75k than 60k ???? 

Because as  posted  above i don't have any real problems here at the moment.

14 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Great post Connda.  There are so many westerners who share your sentiments.  Unfortunately, I couldn't help notice some of the apologist, and Thais posing as westerners posting their usual idiotic comments.  Good luck to you ???? 

What are you posing as?  Ill-informed perhaps!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/30/2019 at 9:28 AM, JingerBen said:

I feel the same way.

Whenever I'm tempted to complain about Thailand I think of the possible alternatives, such as a return to the USA.

For me, that would be a fate worse than death - although nowadays death might be part of the package.

If I returned to the USA, I would move deep into the mountain-west or the Alaskan frontier to live off-grid. I'd hunt for elk and fish for trout and then smoke my kill for winter consumption. I'd cultivate a garden and preserve the vegetables in canning jars; I'd chop and stack firewood; I'd power-up with batteries and solar panels and drink from clear mountain streams. I'd finally be free from man's bullshit... Eventually, though, my dream fades as I gaze into the crystal waters of the beachside pool clutching an ice-cold Leo, my motivation destroyed under the balmy tropical sun as all of my worldly needs are met without hardly lifting a finger.  Think I'll stick around for a while longer.

Edited by Uptooyoo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Uptooyoo said:

If I returned to the USA, I would move deep into the mountain-west or the Alaskan frontier to live off-grid. I'd hunt for elk and fish for trout and then smoke my kill for winter consumption. I'd cultivate a garden and preserve the vegetables in canning jars; I'd chop and stack firewood; I'd power-up with batteries and solar panels and drink from clear mountain streams. I'd finally be free from man's bullshit... Eventually, though, my dream fades as I gaze into the crystal waters of the beachside pool clutching an ice-cold Leo, my motivation destroyed under the balmy tropical sun as all of my worldly needs are met without hardly lifting a finger.  Think I'll stick around for a while longer.

I'm moving in a couple of weeks to live in north Laos. I'd love to live off-grid, with solar panels for my electricity and growing my own fresh fruit and vegetables.  Bit difficult in an urban town.

But in the future, if my money runs out before I croak, that's maybe what I'll end up doing - and be very happy doing just that ????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

The problem is that there are quite a few members here who keep repeating that everything is fine in Thailand, that "it is their country" and that anyone critical about the local mess should be sent home.

Enough to create a climate of paranoia, if you ask me.

I don't see that.  Thai roads, sidewalks, education, voting, general knowledge, soi dogs, military, corruption, farming, and many other things especially those we can't talk about are in bad shape.  However having said that the old wives tales and bar room economics that are accepted as fact here are ludicrous.  Biggest problems are comparing documented statistics with anecdotal evidence or barroom bs.  The Thai bank does not control the pound.  Sorry but it does not.  Racial stereotypes are not correct.  Thailand is not a 3rd world farming economy.  

I feel a commitment to truth.  When you post something back it up and stop calling people names and flaming as a response to valid information. 

Loose the flaming stuff.  Stop trying to hijack every post with anti Thai talking points.  Concentrate on the message and not attack the poster.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1