Expats feeling the pinch as GBP sinks to an all time low against the THB

webfact

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

I was born and bred in the UK and I am proud to be a European.

You're European based on the continent you were born in, not due to the UK joining the EU predecessor in the early 70's.

Anyone born in the UK in the 60's and before was born outside of the EEC/EU.

9 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

What you get when the nation (UK) gets hoodwinked and taken over by a bunch of right wing lunatics, who have no idea what they are doing and rely solely on hyperbole, bluster and outright bs

Would the Thais like to be ruled by unelected foreigners in Indonesia, with open borders to Burma, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia and Indonesia etc? I think not.

And we in the UK have it worse, because out government is forced to hand out benefits, housing, health care and education to the 3 million plus newcomers.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ukrules said:

There's not going to be a high season this year, it is over.

Life goes on, and high we will be.....  Maybe not for those greatly impacted by home currency woes, or those low budget penny pinchers....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:

Not expats - Britons. The Euro and other western currencies are also low, but hasn´t fallen more than 30% like the GBP. Britons, say "thank you" to the Brexiters. And it will become worse for you. 

Canada dollar, Australian Dollar and NZ Dollar have fallen more than the UK pound.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Take a look today at the GBP now...tanking way passed low 37.29...dropping more.  People are expecting a NO Brexit.  This is worse than a nightmare...

I bet the Thai banks with their strengthened Baht are storing up as much sterling as possible as well for when it rises again

Edited by richiejom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack100 said:

I had a friend  in the UK who was a rabid Brexitier  , he assured me on 24 June 2016 that the slide in the pound was only a 'temporary thing " . !

Why do people with no knowledge on the subject fail to see we had a remainer prime minister dithering/stalling for 3 years

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, richiejom said:

I bet the Thai banks with their strengthened Baht are storing up as much sterling as possible as well for when it rises again

Baht hasn't strengthened.  Pound has fallen.  There is no special relationship between the baht and the pound. 

5 hours ago, britishrepublican said:

As a currency trader, I expect the pound to fall dramatically in the 2-3 days after the 31st. Once the initial panic passes I expect common sense to prevail and the pound will recover to pre referendum rates within a year. 56-58 baht.

It's worth the short term pain in the long run.

A currency trader ... are you sure you’re not Nick Leeson?

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Over 17 million voters were racist Islamophobes? To start with Islam is not a race and race had nothing to do with people voting for brexit. The reason we voted to leave was due to the EU, not immigration.

I meant Racist AND Islamophobic, and I was replying to a post specifically about immigration and not about why people voted to leave.

Edited by SunsetT

4 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

No, that´s the rumor. The fact is you are wrong.

2.JPG

Actually that does depend on the time scale used; since the beginning of this year, some other currencies have suffered more than the pound against the baht, but over a longer period the pound has suffered more. It is also important to recognise that there have been bigger and quicker falls for the pound against the baht than since the 2016 referendum, such as the period from around 2007 to 2009 when it fell from 70 to 50. There have been equally big gains. Anyone who tries to predict what will happen with currencies over more than a few weeks is either a fool or has insider information and most predictions on here are coloured either by hope or political persuasion; Remainers want the pound to tank so they can say ‘I told you so’, and Brexiteers want the pound to soar for the same reason. The baht though is clearly massively over valued, and I am one of many who struggles to understand why, as any other country that had gone through so many negatives (military coup, violence on the streets, loss of their beloved monarch, poor economic policies, massive household debt, exports and tourism declining, renowned for huge corruption ...) would not see their currency doing anything except at best remain constant, and at worst, collapse. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, britishrepublican said:

As a currency trader, I expect the pound to fall dramatically in the 2-3 days after the 31st. Once the initial panic passes I expect common sense to prevail and the pound will recover to pre referendum rates within a year. 56-58 baht.

It's worth the short term pain in the long run.

An excellent post from a joker-' common sense to prevail'- hilariously headmasterish.

The short term pain will turn into a long term drain of capital and resources as the country once known as the United Kingdom becomes increasingly insignificant without Empire or the EU.

• Like 2

Just now, marcusarelus said:

The high season will go on as it does every year but the Brits won't be there.

Yes of course like any year …. a lower high season than the one before as a good Thai habit lately

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, bannork said:

An excellent post from a joker-' common sense to prevail'- hilariously headmasterish.

The short term pain will turn into a long term drain of capital and resources as the country once known as the United Kingdom becomes increasingly insignificant without Empire or the EU.

...Or Scotland.......and the Scots r the only ones with a work ethic....lol.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

There are many ways of stretching money to make it go further. You just need to learn and adapt...or go home. Whinging solves nothing.

maybe people dont want to stretch money and make it go further.

maybe people are getting annoyed with this ridiculously strong baht now.

its nothing to do with Brexit

other monies affected also

• Like 1