This will be my last post

FaFaHead

Comprehension does not appear to be a strong suit?

Mentioned leaving for the fact that people leave for many different reasons (What the original post is about) and the response "Couldn't hack it in Thailand" is not a valid reason.

Why the OP should get bashed because he wants to leave and move to Boston?

As far as Thai restaurants? Thai food is dumbed down in restaurants in our area because people cannot handle the hotness of authentic Thai food.

The temple is the only place manned with the old grandma's that put the fire to it just like street food in Thailand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Joe, last time I checked making a Thai lose face was not a legal crime but assault is.

Would you assault a grandma for any reason at all knowing she is a defenseless old lady?

NO because you probably have some morals and common sense and you under the law and what will happen to you.

The problem is many Thai's have no morals or common sense. 

That is a real danger in itself.

Thank you for making this comment. Sometimes it seems that Saving Face is an unwritten rule for people to continue to carry on unacceptable behaviour without the expectation of growth or maturity. 

5 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Comprehension does not appear to be a strong suit?

Mentioned leaving for the fact that people leave for many different reasons (What the original post is about) and the response "Couldn't hack it in Thailand" is not a valid reason.

Why the OP should get bashed because he wants to leave and move to Boston?

As far as Thai restaurants? Thai food is dumbed down in restaurants in our area because people cannot handle the hotness of authentic Thai food.

The temple is the only place manned with the old grandma's that put the fire to it just like street food in Thailand.

So thai restaurants can not make it more spicy if you asked ?????

only in temple they have chillies ?????

i suppose as long as there is an excuse no matter how silly it is then it’s ok 

On 8/1/2019 at 6:48 AM, marcusarelus said:

If you look at my posts you will find many negatives about Thailand.  You on the other hand and the people who like your never find any positives and want to silence anything but complaints.  

You don't live here have not spent but a few days here and have nothing factual to add to any discussion except regurgitation of what you read by other negative Thai posters. 

The OP wrote, "  it’ll be good to get back home to civility, people that can walk and chew gum at the same time and most of all, structure and common sense. This place is like the Wild West. Anything goes for the most part, especially if you have enough baht. Never felt welcome here."

That says Thais are stupid and uncivil have no common sense and he does not have enough money to stay here.  

That's not the kind of person who has had a balanced life in Thailand.   

In general, Thais are really very civil, but again in general, they do lack a lot of common sense, the road statistics tell you that, and what about the motorcyclists that ride through markets, even indoor ones where the passages are little more than 2 mtrs wide, pumping their horn at you to get out of their way?

May I also add that I do have a very balanced life in Thailand.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The difference was I did one about returning to the US (possible insurance changes).  So any discussion about returning would be on topic.  My point was, any topic whatever it is gets turned into an anti Thai topic because the the drop in value of the pound and the lazy embassies no longer providing letters for those cheating Thai Immigration.  This topic is about one man's last post because he is underfunded.  And it gets turned into, "It's the downtown of the capital of Thailand where Royal Thai Police are molesting everybody that walks on the street."  What does that lie have to do with one man's last post? 

"providing letters for those cheating Thai Immigration." If people get treated like criminals, what do you expect them to do? 

16 hours ago, BestB said:

So thai restaurants can not make it more spicy if you asked ?????

only in temple they have chillies ?????

i suppose as long as there is an excuse no matter how silly it is then it’s ok 

Think about it?

Who are the clients?

Most are people that have never been to Thailand.

Most people do not enjoy eating hot, spicy food.

That is the way it is and you should accept that.

There isn't one Thai restaurant within 50 miles of us that I would eat at.

13 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Think about it?

Who are the clients?

Most are people that have never been to Thailand.

Most people do not enjoy eating hot, spicy food.

That is the way it is and you should accept that.

There isn't one Thai restaurant within 50 miles of us that I would eat at.

It makes no difference who the clients are , what makes the difference is how much chilli they put. 1 or 5 chillies. 

Best you save the rants for someone who has never been outside US and will buy any bs you feed them . 

As for your nonsense there is not a thai restaurant within 50 miles you would eat at, I am willing to bet you have not eaten in any of them????

22 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

All the best to the OP.

In my view he has merely displayed some flexibility and chose to return home.

In a different post the OP wrote, "As I scooped up my papers I told the Thai officer that they didn’t want Falangs and this Immigration attitude was bullshit and walked out."

Displayed some flexibility?  Sure.  This guy was not meant to live outside of his nanny state because he has no flexibility.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BestB said:

It makes no difference who the clients are , what makes the difference is how much chilli they put. 1 or 5 chillies. 

Best you save the rants for someone who has never been outside US and will buy any bs you feed them . 

As for your nonsense there is not a thai restaurant within 50 miles you would eat at, I am willing to bet you have not eaten in any of them????

I'm much the same as I don't frequent Thai restaurants stateside. For one they're usually expensive for what you get and secondly they usually rely on chili powder for spice instead of chilis. Stateside I'll stick with Vietnamese restaurants....better.  

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 7:25 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Good luck to you.

Thailand is not for everybody and yes, it changed slightly since 1973.

But I think it's funny when you write about going to the USA and civility and common sense. 555. Did you have a look at the news in the last years?

On 8/1/2019 at 1:56 AM, marcusarelus said:

s I actually have lived here long term - arriving the first time in 1968.

We all know that's a lie, but keep living in your imaginary world. 

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 4:43 PM, Caldera said:

I think the OP's resolve is admirable. Too many people who have grown to dislike living in Thailand (or never really liked it in the first place) just keep procrastinating and whining instead of coming to the same conclusion and moving on.

All the best for your life back home, @FaFaHead!

Anyone that dislikes living in LOS should leave. It's not going to get any better, and my experience is that any city is going to get more polluted, dirtier, and more congested. City councils seem unable to plan anything and it just happens.

If one can't find something to love, best gone.

Whether one finds better elsewhere is not guaranteed. I had to move back to the cold country and miss lovely hot Thailand every day.

I can’t really agree in full with your statement that city councils aren’t doing enough planning. Rapid, unexpected growth is part of the culprit, but here in Chiang Mai we are definitely seeing actions to improve the infrastructure.  They take frustratingly long to reach fruition and cause horrific bottlenecks in the process, but at least plans have and are still being laid to keep up with the city’s expansion.  Thailand and Chiang Mai aren’t utopias, but neither is anywhere else.  Best if we focus on the positives instead of constantly carping on all that disappoints us. I heartily concur with Caldera’s sentiment though: anybody who isn’t content here or who cannot accept the way things are should leave instead of constantly griping about their lot or picking stupid arguments with fellow posters.  Not all of us are pessimists and rely on this forum for useful information instead of petty sniping and backbiting.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

Not all of us are pessimists and rely on this forum for useful information instead of petty sniping and backbiting.

Well, farang pub is hardly the place for useful information, is it?

IMO it's exactly the place to have all the petty sniping and backbiting, if it keeps it off the useful forums.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

Rapid, unexpected growth is part of the culprit, but here in Chiang Mai we are definitely seeing actions to improve the infrastructure.

The only improvements I saw were outside the ring road and superhighway. Nothing has changed in the old city or locales close to it. The road near Central Airport under the flyover was never cleaned.

Good planning is done before things are built, not after, though many things could be done to improve bad situations.

The bus service is an example of a good idea gone bad. Not enough information and vehicles too large for the roads.

An American claiming that Thailand is 'like the Wild West' ? you couldn't make it up - how many have perished in mass shootings in the US this week again ?? 

Tens of thousands of people handle the immigration circus with little or no issues, taking any hiccup in their stride but a handful of lets say less stoic characters seem to have a problem. Why is that do you think ? 

Reading your post leads me to think you should be looking inwards for the source of your  disappointments. Some people just can't hack a life where you're not mollycuddled from birth to death by the state I guess. Thailand isn't one of those countries, but what it does have makes up for that with interest for the vast majority.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 9:39 PM, Fore Man said:

but if it wasn’t for the United States of America, you all would be speaking German or Russian today.  Or has this truth been written out of your PC history books?

How far do you want to go back into history ?

If there was no France to help bail us out during the revolutionary war there probably would not be a "United States America" . It's right there in our own history books.  

Back to the main topic , the OP sounds like this whole experience was an injury to his system of beliefs and his way of life.  I swore off Cambodia and the Philippines in much the same way so no disagreements when it comes to the ultimate conclusion that people should live in the places where they get the best of what they are looking for in life. Best wishes to the OP and good luck with those family health issues.......

Willard:
Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were goin' all the way. Kurtz got off the boat. He split from the whole f***in' program.

1 hour ago, Handsome Gardener said:

I've never been in danger here - lucky perhaps ? People who have a disrespectful superior outlook are going to come unstuck in any foreign country (I hope)

Labelling 68,000,000 people with 'no morals or common sense' based on zero statistical evidence kind of lumps you in the no common sense category (along with a few others that you wouldn't want on your CV)

I'm new on here but I took the time to read the forum rules - aren't slurs against Thaiand and Thai people banned on here ? 

Thai ppl dont have morals or common sense? what a deep and rascist insult based on literally no facts. too many farang unfortunately hold that view.

lmao. i live in thailand 11 years. continuosly. probably the safest country i ever been. europe and america are full with no go zones. in many cities its not safe, from pickpocketing to assault. 

sorry, i forget when was the last time here in thailand  somebody shot up the place and killed dozens of fellow citizens? 

Thailand, the best, love it or leave it, nobody forced you to live here and marry yr favorite bargirl.

I do agree that Thailand has gone backwards, on a couple of dozen levels, over the past 15 years. It is not the place it once was, and it is absolutely not a better place, nor a friendlier place for foreigners or ex-pats. However, I like my life here, despite the intense passion, with which I despise the completely useless Thai army. 

The only way I would return to the US, would be if I was offered a job that paid at least $1,000,000 a year. Then I would suffer through three or four years there, and leave for good. It is also not the country it once was. And it is also becoming a lesser version of itself, rapidly. There is no making America great again. It is what it is, and it is not going to get better. That has nothing to do with immigration. I am very fond of people of all colors, and I think they are the best part of America. As I have often posted here, white American men are the ones who scare me the most back there. Some are ignorant beyond the furthest reaches of my imagination. It is the overall quality of life. Unless you are a multi millionaire, it is hard to live well on a budget these days, and nearly everything is ridiculously overpriced, especially anything to do with labor, real estate, etc. 

Lastly, and mostly, for me it is the attitudes of the people, and especially the women. Sour, disenfranchised, bitter, surly, unfriendly, and heavy hearted. I do not blame them. It is a tough place to be at this time, and if the women were not confused before, Me Too has confused them even more, and made many of them into romantic zombies. 

Hence, I would rather be here. Most of the Thai people I encounter are far more pleasant, less surly, and have humor and a light heart. Of course, I am not referring to Pattaya, Phuket, or Samui. Those are blight zones, when it comes to the locals, as most are jaded and have lost their charm. The cost of living is still affordable, the food is amazing and alot less expensive, traveling around the region is great, and life is really good in general. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

I've never been in danger here - lucky perhaps ? People who have a disrespectful superior outlook are going to come unstuck in any foreign country (I hope)

Labelling 68,000,000 people with 'no morals or common sense' based on zero statistical evidence kind of lumps you in the no common sense category (along with a few others that you wouldn't want on your CV)

I'm new on here but I took the time to read the forum rules - aren't slurs against Thaiand and Thai people banned on here ? 

He did say many. He did not say all. Big difference. I would have to agree with many. Of course, I would say that about most nations. But the common sense part applies here, in a somewhat exaggerated fashion. I once asked a Thai man about this. He spoke great english. He said that Thai people had common sense. But, that it was Thai common sense, which is something completely different from our notion of common sense. So there you have it.

Morals? That is a far more complicated discussion. One thing does strike me. Alot of Thai people do not consider lying to be a moral deficit of any sort. I have never understood that. It is almost second nature for a percentage of the population. And when one considers that truth is a paramount quality within Buddhism, it does create a bit of a cultural paradox.

6 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

How do you get 68,000,000 from many?

The post said many Thai's which is a very true statement. It never said 68,000,000. Read!

<Snip>

On 7/30/2019 at 4:28 PM, scorecard said:

Will your side arm be ready when you get off the aircraft?

The ability to defend oneself is a right in America.  You write it in jest, as if it was a joke.  We in America are not sheeple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1