Drunk driver who killed two given suspended sentence

webfact

The system is broken and the Thai citizens are so desensitized to being stepped on that they allow it as long as a good pay out is made. Then you got the old school males judges elites who are also the problem because they also believe they are above the law and protect others like themselves which is what happen in this case.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Sad commentary on the value of life. I told the wife not to settle for less than 10 million Bhat if I am the victim of another driver. 

Don’t flatter yourself.

Thai justice always goes more lightly on those who compensate their victims with cash.  It is just how it works here.  And most families would rather get the money than get no money and see the person go to jail.

Of course he should have had to served some time also in my opinion.  And likely he would have if he had not compensated the family so well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moe666 said:

What would be better the guy in jail and the family gets nothing. Hell in the states people plead not guilty to these crimes with the intent of dragging it out as long as possible, hoping the arresting officer doesn't show up to give evidence of the arrest. One would need to be futher up the food chain for 45million bhat not to hurt. Just remember boys it is their justice system and they really do not care what you think, sputter and blow all day long the out come is the same and nothing you say will have an affect

And remember, if this kind of thing ever happens to you or the people you care about, it's their justice system. Not yours. I expect zero sputtering and blowing from you. Just 100% cooperation. 

• Like 1

I think you guys need a reality check! Getting all holier than thou over this.  The same thing happens in just about every country, it certainly does in the UK where if you can pay for a lawyer, particularly a barrister, you will do alright. And how many of you get on your motor scooters (without a crash helmet) and ride home from the beer bar after spending a few hours necking Chang!

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, rwill said:

Thai justice always goes more lightly on those who compensate their victims with cash.  It is just how it works here.  And most families would rather get the money than get no money and see the person go to jail.

Of course he should have had to served some time also in my opinion.  And likely he would have if he had not compensated the family so well.

same as hitting a chicken on a village road, here.

• Like 1

Out of interest, the UK judicial system is currently reviewing the penalty for driving under the influence of drink or drugs from a maximum of 14 years imprisonment to 'life'.

"increasing the maximum penalty for causing death by dangerous driving from 14 years to life"

"increasing the maximum penalty for causing death by careless driving whilst under the influence of drink or drugs from 14 years to life"

• Like 1

No, he is most certainly NOT going to jail if he violates any of the terms.  Kills a policeman and they don't care enough to put him in jail, he will buy his way out of any violations he commits.  And, what a tiny amount of community service.  Disgraceful.   By the way, how goes the intensive, World-wide search for that Red Bull twerp?

He’s a drunk murderer but he’s Thai and he’s rich so we can’t put him in prison, instead let’s go after the poor old farang who dares to leave his home for 2 days to go on a trip but doesn’t report to immigration to let them know his every move !

8 minutes ago, newnative said:

how goes the intensive, World-wide search for that Red Bull twerp?

No country would do anything about it, as Red Bull is sponsoring everywhere, they don't want to jeopardise this.

It's good to be rich. 

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

round like a shovel tail, drunk as a lord, unable to put one foot in front of the other ..
of course he stayed there ..

Why be surprised at this multi-speed "justice", a few years in jail for mushroom pickers and almost nothing for a dead drunk HiSo who kills a senior police officer.
I do not understand why the hierarchy of the police does not appeal this infantile decision.:1zgarz5:

What? And lose the commission?

2 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

What? And lose the commission?

I forget too often that Thailand is not on the same land that we farang ...

I have never been to Europe since I've been here for 14 years.
Many things have changed during these 14 years, and certainly not good ...

18 hours ago, DavisH said:

Never previously committed a crime huh...so this is the first time he has ever been drunk behind the wheel at a reading of +0.2. I find that hard to believe. Money buys everything. 

Should read 1st time apprehended committing a crime.

Today i read about an old lady 79 yrs old that has to go to prison for 10 days for feeding cats. (U.S)

and here you can kill 2 people while drunk with the daughter barely surviving and you walk free.

At this point i truly hope that human kind gets wiped out sooner than later. We deserve it.