Drop in domestic consumption, foreign demand weakening Thai economy

snoop1130

On 7/31/2019 at 9:26 PM, Fex Bluse said:

70% of the article is about tourism. 

With so much of the Thai economy depending on foreigners, one would expect the Thais to treat foreigners well. 

Tourism has been propping up the weak Thai economy for decades. 

You forget the same principle from Thais to higher prices when very quite in bars example …? Resulting in more decline in business

Edited by david555

6 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Sex business is for sure not 10%. Also a huge part of it is made by Thais, so it has nothing to do with tourism.
The tourism with foreigners is 12% of the GDP.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1619182/record-38-27m-tourists-in-2018-41m-expected-in-2019

The Thais would love for everyone to believe tourism is a smaller contribution to GDP than it is. It's probably above 20% before counting sex trade. 

474557440_Screenshot_20190802-044046_AdobeAcrobat.jpg.fc3c89fd37f1013b799fd34411d2d10b.jpg

thailand_tourism.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2019 at 3:26 PM, Fex Bluse said:

70% of the article is about tourism. 

With so much of the Thai economy depending on foreigners, one would expect the Thais to treat foreigners well. 

Tourism has been propping up the weak Thai economy for decades. 

Not all foreigners here are tourists.

The minimum in Thailand should be raised to 800 000 baht a year.  Then they would have more money to spend.

• Confused 2

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:19 AM, snoop1130 said:

while compensation for civil servants rose slightly

Of course !

Just about every other area DOWN but looking after one's own UP (slightly).

The concept is systemic.

22 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

To improve domestic consumption I recommend an increase in minimum wage to 450B, reduce VAT to 5%, reduce tax for personal income, subsidize all form of public transport, reduce interest rate, debt moratorium, free school uniforms, subsidize school books and free UHC. To pay for all these, cut the number of generals, reduce the defence budget, abolish conscription and increase taxes for the wealthy.

Agreed, but yesterday I read somewhere that someone would like to buy a second sub from China. Here goes your dream. 

On 8/2/2019 at 4:54 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

Not all foreigners here are tourists.

The minimum in Thailand should be raised to 800 000 baht a year.  Then they would have more money to spend.

All foreigners are basically considered tourists - either short-term or long-term, and this is how the Thai government treats foreigners, and especially Farang.

• Like 1

Telling the truth! Really? I'm  amazed...

Just looking around plus listenimg to the many words spoken on the street by both low life farang and perfect Thai clearly shows that the economy is in a very bad way and has been for a long time. 

Not rocket science, or maybe it is, I forgot where I am, I though I was in Paradise. 555