Journalist Visa "M"

Hi,

I'm a Freelance Journalist planing to move to Thailand.

According to new guidelines it seems quite tricky to get a "M" Visa without "fulltime employment".

Anybody got some firsthand experience about getting that type of Visa? Or would you recommend a different Visa type instead?

Especially confuses me that the rules demand a "full time employment", which excludes freelancers. However on a Clarification Release the Ministry of foreign Affairs stated that they will issue media card to "Freelancers that require media card to work for news agency"

Thanks for the replies!

Edited by Doctor1
  • Haha 1

I'm no expert on this.  But I seem to recall that in order to qualify for an M visa, you need to be an accredited journalist working for a news agency or media channel with registered offices in Thailand.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why do you want a visa for "freelance" work other than live here. I'm less of expert than Simon above post. 

However just think about it. I want come live Thailand as freelance Poet. That must be easy?

I know what you mean, but it requires extensive research work on site, not just in front of the computer. Hence i wanted to check what would be the most legit way to get a media card.

Edited by Doctor1
  • Like 1

Please update this thread if you have success.. 

This is a rare visa class, and its one I try to follow. If in the future Thailand ever really did want to offer a kind of nomad visa, or a kind of online publishers visa, this would be the perfect visa to adapt. I am not saying it is possible now, just its one I could see evolving. 

Forget about it:

Visa for foreign media will be issued to applicant with the following qualifications:

1. Must be employed by a news agency registered with the competent agency of either Thai or foreign government.
  2. Works full time as a correspondent of a news agency and does not intend to take employment elsewhere except as a correspondent of a news agency.
  3. Shall report on Thailand during his/ her period of stay in the Kingdom which shall exceed 3 months.
  4. Has no work or behavior which indicates possible harm to the public or constituting any disruption to the public order or to the security of the Kingdom. The applicant shall not be under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.
  5. Has never committed intentional distortion of information when applying for a Media Visa.
  6. This category of visa covers contributors in fields of politics and economy. Extra supporting documents shall be submitted upon request for contributors in such fields as entertainment, leisure, sports, fashion, interior design, and religion.

http://mmos.mfa.go.th/guideline/
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Forget about it:

Visa for foreign media will be issued to applicant with the following qualifications:

1. Must be employed by a news agency registered with the competent agency of either Thai or foreign government.
  2. Works full time as a correspondent of a news agency and does not intend to take employment elsewhere except as a correspondent of a news agency.
  3. Shall report on Thailand during his/ her period of stay in the Kingdom which shall exceed 3 months.
  4. Has no work or behavior which indicates possible harm to the public or constituting any disruption to the public order or to the security of the Kingdom. The applicant shall not be under warrant of arrest by competent officials of foreign governments.
  5. Has never committed intentional distortion of information when applying for a Media Visa.
  6. This category of visa covers contributors in fields of politics and economy. Extra supporting documents shall be submitted upon request for contributors in such fields as entertainment, leisure, sports, fashion, interior design, and religion.

http://mmos.mfa.go.th/guideline/

And yet people have posted as having obtained it and a work permit. 

A buddy of mine lived in Thailand for nearly 15 years on this visa. And he was a legitimate, award-winning journalist. 

He was denied for a renewal about three years ago, as he was not full-time with a registered news agency. He's in France now. 

Freelancer? Forget it. Unless the envelope is thick enough. 

• Thanks 2

On 8/4/2019 at 6:44 AM, midzo said:

A buddy of mine lived in Thailand for nearly 15 years on this visa. And he was a legitimate, award-winning journalist. 

He was denied for a renewal about three years ago, as he was not full-time with a registered news agency. He's in France now. 

Freelancer? Forget it. Unless the envelope is thick enough. 

Confusing part is, that the MFA quotes specifically "Freelancers" in their Clarification from 2016.

Seems like its not worth the paper it is written on, looking at the denial of your friend.

Source:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/media-center/14/64773-Clarifications-on-the-Announcement-on-the-Revision.html

Edited by Doctor1

• 3 weeks later...