White cops on horseback led a black man by rope in Texas. Their police chief apologized

webfact

Just now, poohy said:

Overall not a bright idea BUT then again we are in Texas a state not noted for people with bright ideas

Then you have Texan police officers who are probably all named BUBBA

Read about this after hearing some TV pundit explaining that Texas will become a blue state. 

• Haha 1

Somewhat Very insensitive in this day and age, especially in view of the mass shootings over the weekend. I guess they're just not into PC in Texas, much like the POTUS.

The burgeoning of racially focused behaviour is on the rise in our world.

there is no question about this.

This was either a racially insensitive or racially motivated action by the cops.

The question I ask is would this be done to a man of different colour? ... and in the context of Texas as the site of this action my answer would probably be no, well an Asian or Mexican would stand a good chance of being treated in a similar manner.

the inherent, subtle, acculturated, unaware bias of racism is very deep and ingrained cultures across the world. Moreover in my experience racism is not the sole domain of Caucasian people.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, wendyfromoz said:

what were they surpose to do strap him across the horse.

Galveston Police Chief Vernon Hale said on Monday the technique was acceptable in some scenarios, but that "officers showed poor judgment in this instance"

Mr Hale apologised to Mr Neely for the "unnecessary embarrassment".

He added the officers "could have waited for a transport unit at the location of the arrest".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49253691

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

He broke the law, doesn't matter how he is transported to jail IMO. 

When you are put in a  police car with hands handcuffed behind your back it is also demeaning. 

So what is the politically correct solution to all this?  

Treat criminals like upstanding citizens and have a Lincoln town car transport them to jail?!

Read the above...

Police are neither Judge or Jury... Jury to determine guilt, Judge determines punishment.

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

In the UK he'd be put on the horse and the copper would walk. Unlike some colonials we respect the human rights of minorities.

In the UK highly unlikely the police would have been on horseback...

The other day I was at a property that the police were in attendance, about ten officers in all, actually I was not needed as due to double booking I was running late and the police had already opened the front door, the only way they know how, so I was waiting out in the street, obviously this "suspected crime" was a little more than metre tampering as the occupants were being held in a back room, while the police searched the house, I was able to hear the police laughter as they were searching the house and wondered what it would be like to be sitting in handcuffs while the police in another room were laughing their heads off.  I do not think that was PC either.

• Confused 3

No indication that the suspect was mistreated in any way.  Of course to non-americans and race baiters reading this and having been fed fake news for years it could seem abusive or gawd forbid "wacist".   I wonder what the suspect feels about his treatment, I wouldn't be surprised if Al Sharpten was on the next plane down there to advise the fellow on how to exploit this for their mutual gain.  I hope not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1